Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

He should have invested in astroturfing. Great growth business..!

Seriously, we need to move this direction, and some efforts will fail. Most businesses fail. Truth be told. But if one of them hits a new innovation, we could well be leading the world in the environmental field. I would not call it a total failure. A disappointment perhaps.

This article suggests these attacks on the green energy are largely political screeds:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...XeqT_blog.html

I'd like to read a more even-handed discussion of this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And THIS makes you happy Why? So you can use it to bash Obama? The world NEEDS alternative energy. Maybe you are too old to be concerned, but there are lots of people in their 20s and 30s who definitely are concerned.
If it needs it, let the free market work and let it find ways to do it quicker and cheaper so it is a reasonable cost, rather than government picking losers of companies and subsidizing their unprofitable ways.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And it seems to make partisan Republicans such as the OP very happy!
It's our money getting flushed down the toilet. We fund the government and the government works for us.

It does not have a FREE! money tree where money is created benevolently in a vacuum for use on the latest pet project. That's not how it works.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Not being interested in partisan bashing, my concern is with market demand for wind turbines. Siemens talks about tax relief, but that is BS. If there was strong demand, they wouldn't even mention it. Can somebody explain why demand for alternative energy is not increasing? Is there another alternative source that beats wind? Also, why can't Siemens export some of their produce overseas?

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
The guy my buddy was working for, 3 years ago, making big wind turbines, closed up shop here in Central Texas and moved operations to Mexico.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
A guy up the road took his down. The sound was driving him crazy.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM

83 posts, read 79,514 times
...ugh.

It has long been understood, since the time of Adam Smith, that one of the central failures of the free market is that it tends to massively under-invest in research and development.

For example, I'm not sure anyone has benefited as much from Bill Gates, but here's his take on exactly that problem:
Bill Gates: My New Model For Giving - Forbes

I'm going to guess he has a better handle on the weaknesses of our market system than most of you armchair CEO's in here.

That's not to say this was the right set of bets for the government to take. But any argument about how the free market is going to somehow handle our knowledge creation needs is just flatly, massively ill-informed, fact-free, and ideological in the worst possible way.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Not being interested in partisan bashing, my concern is with market demand for wind turbines. Siemens talks about tax relief, but that is BS. If there was strong demand, they wouldn't even mention it. Can somebody explain why demand for alternative energy is not increasing? Is there another alternative source that beats wind? Also, why can't Siemens export some of their produce overseas?
Wel I got something that is "Green" and Renewable it can heat your home and boil your water and cok your fod al I need is a my Chainsaw and go cut down some pine beettle infested trees and then chop into Cords a bunch of cords and buput them under the covered stairwell from the Rain and get a decent sized wood pile and plant a new seedling to Replace the tree I cut down that was dead or dying anyways and instead of it burning in a forest fire I burn it to keep my house to warm it up my hot water tank and it is Green and Renewable and pretty sure logs are exportable.

Firewood does not get any tax breaks tho'

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Give it up. China already leads in green energy manufacturing. We lost this race before we even got to the starting line.
The Feds just used stimulus money to buy solar panels from China. [Source] Yes, that's against the rules, but they did it anyway.

Of course, this came right after a solar plant in NV closed up after about a year's operation, despite receiving over $20 million in federal tax credits and grants. [Amonix]

Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
These are bad news and the government's actions are ludicrous, (unless they couldn't find those specific panels in US). Anyway, I read that even subsidized, the Chinese solar panels aren't much in demand and they had to slow down production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies