Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM

313 posts, read 324,672 times

Advertisements

Tarnished, i think not. Have ever tried to get a house loan and been turned down because the pecentages didnt make the bank think you were a safe bet. Then to have someone step forward and say i will carry that mortgage for you. Sounds Saintly to me. I have a mixed family and these brothers and sister are there for each other and they dont have 10 Million dollars like Obama. The differance is Romney is a giver and Obama is a taker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo700 View Post
Tarnished, i think not. Have ever tried to get a house loan and been turned down because the pecentages didnt make the bank think you were a safe bet. Then to have someone step forward and say i will carry that mortgage for you. Sounds Saintly to me. I have a mixed family and these brothers and sister are there for each other and they dont have 10 Million dollars like Obama. The differance is Romney is a giver and Obama is a taker.
It's saintly when you offer someone a mortgage on a home you don't own but not when it's Vendor Takeback Mortgage on a property with monthly expenses that you can't unload otherwise. Then it's just desperation. A VTB is always an owner's last option.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
Don't think what Romney did was bad, but it was certainly not the height of generosity the OP would like to portray it as. Romney was trying to get rid of the house, the people had lived there for 5 years and obviously, to live there for that long, had a good payment history and kept the property up. His properties were under water and the banks were not loaning, so he made the only deal he could to get out from under these rental houses.

Worst case scenario for Romney was that they would default and lose their down payment and any monthly payments and he would get the house back. Not a big risk on his part, and since they have made the payments he got rid of the property (his goal) and also is still making interest on the loan.

It was a business deal. Generous would have been if he had given them an interest free loan or a greatly reduced price on the house, applying the 5 years of rent towards the price, or something else that actually cost him something. Not the case here.

Do you really view Romney as 'saintly'?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
This man's generosity is beyond belief. Even if he loses this election he is a blessed man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/10/us...gain.html?_r=1

Obama's brother had to borrow money from stranger to save his sons life. Obama has millions and his brother lives on 12 dollars a year. I think we can see who actually cares about people and who just talks about it.

Dreams From My Father, Calls From My Brother - RightNation.US

Oh puh-leez, it's not like he GAVE that house away. Romney still made money off of the transaction for a home that he could not sell.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's saintly when you offer someone a mortgage on a home you don't own but not when it's Vendor Takeback Mortgage on a property with monthly expenses that you can't unload otherwise.
When the market fell he could of dumped that turd and took a tax right off. He didn't do what most of the investors did when Obama caused the housing crash. Face it Romney made two peoples dreams come true.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
When the market fell he could of dumped that turd and took a tax right off. He didn't do what most of the investors did when Obama caused the housing crash. Face it Romney made two peoples dreams come true.
He tried to dump the house and couldn't. This was a way he could make money. Period.

BTW, how do you figure Obama caused the housing crash? First off, this was in the early '90's, and secondly, Obama wasn't in office when the housing market crashed.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
He didn't do what most of the investors did when Obama caused the housing crash.
I believe you are suffering from a temporal anomaly. It's common on these forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I believe you are suffering from a temporal anomaly. It's common on these forums.
Because in 1994 a young lawyer named Obama sued Citibank to change housing loan qualifications so that minorities could buy houses they could not afford. Over half of these loans ended in foreclosure. So you see the housing crash which started the down turn of the economy was Obama's fault.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Because in 1994 a young lawyer named Obama sued Citibank to change housing loan qualifications so that minorities could buy houses they could not afford. Over half of these loans ended in foreclosure. So you see the housing crash which started the down turn of the economy was Obama's fault.
You might want to check out the Snopes version of that tale.

snopes.com: Obama Required Banks to Lend Money to Poor People

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
No, read the article, Mitt invested in real estate scheme that failed when housing prices collapsed and this was the only way he could get out without losing money.

Mitt bought 5 Houston houses... in a “a marvelous scheme” to help renters who could not qualify for a mortgage to eventually buy their houses, while allowing investors to write off depreciation and mortgage interest on their taxes without risking their own money: most purchases were 100-percent financed with first and second mortgages from Texas banks.

The prospectus for the investment, called the Gem Plan, played up the tax shelter benefits, saying it was structured “so that deductions are projected to be twice the amount of the cash required each year.”

The housing market collapsed and Mitt owed more on the homes than he owed. The only way out without losing money was to give a mortgage to his tenant.

It's a Vendor Take-Back Mortgage - not unusual on hard to unload properties when the owner is stuck with expenses.
Sucks when it is proven that the OP was willfully misstating what happened. Romney is no more a saint than Obama is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies