Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Corporal punishment should be illegal in all schools. When parents are upset enough to spank their child their frustration / anger/ disappointment is at least tempered by their love for that child. When a school employee spanks a child, not only don't they love that child, chances are good they don't even like the child. It's not the good kids that schools need to impose negative reinforcement on. And no, you don't need to corporally punish kids to have good discipline in schools. In my 20+ years of teaching I never had classroom management issues and I only worked at one school that practiced corporal punishment - which I did not and would not participate in.
In my 28 years in public school work I only had to apply a paddle three times. The first two times were for the same boys who became model students after the second time. As one of those teachers who felt no love, that you mention, I just went too easy on those boys the first time and they went back to class laughing. The next semester the same teacher sent them to me and I hit each one successively harder till the tears started to flow. Those kids were really good boys, in school, after that and their parents all came to me to thank me, that nasty principal that beat their kids, for helping them understand what civility really is.

The third time the kid refused to do something I told him to do in a Physical Education class so, being in the gym, I gave him his choice of two swats with a paddle or running bleacher laps. He showed me his "cheeks" after the brutality, he chose that form of brutality, and sure enough each one had a ring of kind of white skin with a very red spot in each. He admitted that the next time he would choose laps. The same kid shot me a red eye the next summer and sure enough his butt had healed nicely just like his behavior. I have always wondered if that paddling caused that kid's heart attack at 37 but I am sure it was the demon rum that had more to do with it.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
And you wonder why kids are so misbehaved these days, they need a good spanking every once in a while. Or make them do a bit of "hard labor"

Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'll bet that she goes back to school. I was whooped in school. There was no question that I would go back the next day.

I'll say the odds are right about 100% that she goes back.
Being "whooped" and being brutally abused are two different things. And obviously, what I said was an exaggeration to make a bigger point. No one is more guilty of encouraging kids to behave like animals than the school system as it is today. You quickly learn many things in school, but most memorably that you can't trust the so-called "good guys". It just follows from there that maybe you can trust "the bad". The only way this kid will be alright is if she's lucky enough to have truly (consistently) good parents

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The stupid kid needs to pay more attention in English class. She said, "I still have welps on me today."

Not only that, but:
you want pictures? Isn't this a school girl?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Touch my child and you may need a plastic implant in your nose so it looks like a nose again.
Thats fine, as long as you administer some discipline at home.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM

667 posts, read 940,067 times
Better for childs to be spanked and to get better scores in the schools as to grow up as uneducated idiots without any cnance to make good money in good jobs.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Teacher is going to be sued to the stone age and his career will be over if this is true.

It wasn't a teacher. It was the vice principal.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
She thought that the oher punishment(suspension) would have been worse be cause she did not want to miss school.

She shouldn't have allowed the other student to copy her work. She facilitated cheating. A mistake - but one that she likely won't do again.

The only thing that the school did wrong here was not have a female paddle the student.

And this means what? Here's what: Missing school would be worse than being paddled. She'd have missed school and we wouldn't be talking about this on this forum now because it wouldn't have been controversial.

Now they'll sue, get all sorts of publicity, and probably a tidy sum of cash.

This is how the world gets as screwed up as it is.

Last edited by cebdark; 09-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: corrected

Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Better for childs to be spanked and to get better scores in the schools as to grow up as uneducated idiots without any cnance to make good money in good jobs.

Her "all A's" grades and 97 percent average should've meant the 15 year old girl was beaten even harder, I suppose? If you gave her 3 percent more beatings, she'd be perfection.

I wonder if you could beat your wife like this and just tell the judge, "That's just the way it looks after I teach her some disclipline."

I was beaten in school. Once for something I was accused of, but didn't do. I told my kids if a teacher ever says they were going to hit them, to call me. You're not hitting my kid. Sorry. Punishment is one thing, beating someone with beatdown toolsi s another. Why even use a board? Just punch the kid in the stomach until you're satisfied.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Being "whooped" and being brutally abused are two different things. And obviously, what I said was an exaggeration to make a bigger point. No one is more guilty of encouraging kids to behave like animals than the school system as it is today. You quickly learn many things in school, but most memorably that you can't trust the so-called "good guys". It just follows from there that maybe you can trust "the bad". The only way this kid will be alright is if she's lucky enough to have truly (consistently) good parents
The odds are really high that she will be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies