Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Both Houses of Congress open with a prayer daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm shocked that she was shocked. She lives in AZ and she was surprised?
Prayers are offered in public meetings all over the country - not just Az

Old 09-23-2012, 11:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Both Houses of Congress open with a prayer daily.
And shamefully so.

Religious people just can't seem to function without injecting prayer into everything, no matter what the occasion.

Because God/Allah/Shiva is just so concerned with your city hall meeting. Maybe that's why he/they ignore the prayers and calls for help of people being murdered, starving or dying of disease: Peggy in Arizona has asked the lord to bless the meeting, and dammit, he's gonna!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok and I've also said that when one person objects then it should stop.
I object. It must stop.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why are you offended at prayers being said at these meetings? After all, they have been done for 100's of years.
Same old "slippery slope" argument.

If you allow it, the next thing you know we have a theocracy in America to rival Iran. We don't need to go that route.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I object. It must stop.
Then go attend all these city council meetings, state legislature meetings, Senate meetings and House meetings and tell them that.

The Supreme Court allows it and individual cities are changing it over to a moment of silence in deference to complaints. So go complain across America because you object.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Same old "slippery slope" argument.

If you allow it, the next thing you know we have a theocracy in America to rival Iran. We don't need to go that route.
It's been allowed for quite some time in the US. Why are you so afraid now that religion will take over the US ? We are not the ME. Our constitution does not allow the state to establish a religion for the nation.
Many places have changed their prayers to be more secular in nature and not refer to any specific religion's God.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
It would be the people doing it. If the community is Christian and no one objects then what is the harm ?
It is among themselves.
They might not be objecting because they risk being harassed by bullies in the town for speaking up.

Exactly what these red necks do when people object.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
It's been allowed for quite some time in the US. Why are you so afraid now that religion will take over the US ? We are not the ME. Our constitution does not allow the state to establish a religion for the nation.
Many places have changed their prayers to be more secular in nature and not refer to any specific religion's God.
You don't know what you are talking about. The prayers in question in Arizona were pervasively Christian themed. You cannot do that.

You want to have a "moment of meditation" to "reflect"....LOL Be my guest.

Appeals Court Rules That North Carolina County Cannot Open Public Meetings With Sectarian Prayers | American Civil Liberties Union

Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. The prayers in question in Arizona were pervasively Christian themed. You cannot do that.

You want to have a "moment of meditation" to "reflect"....LOL Be my guest.

Appeals Court Rules That North Carolina County Cannot Open Public Meetings With Sectarian Prayers | American Civil Liberties Union
I said they were getting more secular. Why point out specific issues where they refused to entertain different religions ? I agree with the court rulings in those cases. One can't give preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies