Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Heh, slave. You have nothing cogent to say so you resort to petty name calling.
No, not really. I'm just calling it as I see it. Your comment proves my point. Please do some research, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
No, not really. I'm just calling it as I see it. Your comment proves my point. Please do some research, sir.
When I can glean a point from the swill I will.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
This happened to me once back in 1980. I was driving down Hwy 5 in CA and got pulled over near a reststop for speeding. I was so shaken up (I was young and it was my first ticket) that I let my friend take over the driving duties. We were still in sight of the reststop when another cop pulled us over and said I had been reported for speeding by a helecopter. We tried to explain that I HAD JUST BEEN TICKETED and showed him the ticket, but he said we must have been speeding again, even though we hadn't even picked up speed since starting out again. Oh well. Coalinga CA, it was a well known speed trap back then.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
As probably the person on this website with the record for speeding tickets (70+), let me weigh in. I do know a LITTLE bit about the subject.

First of all, multiple tickets at one sitting is nothing new. It even has a name: "Stacking." Freightshaker is right when he says truck drivers have been dealing with this problem for years. It's not at all uncommon for a trucker to get a speeding ticket, plus a log book ticket, plus a "safety violation" ticket for something as trivial as a mud flap not clearing the pavement by the required number of inches. (Yes, there is a legal standard for that.)

But, this is something entirely different. This is two tickets for the same offense at the same time, right?

No, it's not. She was detected by two different cops, at two different locations, at two different times. Yes, the tickets may have the same time on them, but her violations were separated by both time and distance. As the story is written, I assume the first cop got after her and, while he was in pursuit, she passed another cop who also caught her speeding. Technically, she committed two distinct violations and, therefore, is eligible for two separate tickets. Usually, of course, two cops chasing the same speeder would probably just agree to give her one ticket, but something happened here which caused them to BOTH write her up.

I don't know because the story doesn't address that, but I'll bet dollars to your doughnuts that it was her mouth.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Just remember, the speed limit is not a suggestion.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Isnt it great how those brave cops go after easy targets instead of targeting real criminals!
62 in a 35?

She's lucky she's not in jail for reckless driving. At that speed, she was more than an easy target, she was reckless.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As probably the person on this website with the record for speeding tickets (70+), let me weigh in. I do know a LITTLE bit about the subject.

First of all, multiple tickets at one sitting is nothing new. It even has a name: "Stacking." Freightshaker is right when he says truck drivers have been dealing with this problem for years. It's not at all uncommon for a trucker to get a speeding ticket, plus a log book ticket, plus a "safety violation" ticket for something as trivial as a mud flap not clearing the pavement by the required number of inches. (Yes, there is a legal standard for that.)

But, this is something entirely different. This is two tickets for the same offense at the same time, right?

No, it's not. She was detected by two different cops, at two different locations, at two different times. Yes, the tickets may have the same time on them, but her violations were separated by both time and distance. As the story is written, I assume the first cop got after her and, while he was in pursuit, she passed another cop who also caught her speeding. Technically, she committed two distinct violations and, therefore, is eligible for two separate tickets. Usually, of course, two cops chasing the same speeder would probably just agree to give her one ticket, but something happened here which caused them to BOTH write her up.

I don't know because the story doesn't address that, but I'll bet dollars to your doughnuts that it was her mouth.
70+ speeding tickets??

Do you still have a license??

Where do you live and what do you drive so I know to get off the roads??

Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
70+ speeding tickets??

Do you still have a license??

Where do you live and what do you drive so I know to get off the roads??

Yes, I still have one (that's a long story!), but don't worry...that was just in the 25 year period between the mid-sixties and early 90's. I haven't had one now in about 20 years. (Oops. Shouldn't have said that! Now, I've gone and broke my Karma will probably get one before the sun goes down today!)

Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I still have one (that's a long story!), but don't worry...that was just in the 25 year period between the mid-sixties and early 90's. I haven't had one now in about 20 years. (Oops. Shouldn't have said that! Now, I've gone and broke my Karma will probably get one before the sun goes down today!)
Ack!! Quick, knock on the nearest wood!!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Ack!! Quick, knock on the nearest wood!!

(Taps head, which is solid wood.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies