Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well we still have a choice, but only if we are willing to do without the things I mentioned and more, and I'm not willing to do that..Actually I am wrong because, we now have cameras everywhere and most folks have cell phones with cameras, including video capabilities..Nothing we can do about that unless we live in a cave and never leave it....It's not going away, so I guess we had better get used to it....Smart meters are the least of our privacy problems.
Of course this is how the powers that be want it....impossibe to function in mainstream society without being under constant surveillance. I don't believe that's an accident. And you can be certain they'll keep tightening the screws. They're creating a prison without bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I assume some also have an issue with meter readers for water, invasion of privacy.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:43 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
We weren't given a choice in PA. We're getting them even though the overwhelming majority of the population doesn't want them.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:45 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
or fork out more for solar.
Get a Tesla PowerWall, or other battery too. Otherwise, there's still a lot to info on your usage which can be determined even if you have solar.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We're going to have to take to the streets. I don't mean that in a violent way. But a police state / surveillance society is being built all around us. The only thing that can work is effective, long term, but peaceful public protest. It will come at great personal cost, no doubt. But we are going to have to do it sooner or later anyway, as those who are obsessed with power and control will continue to become more and more oppressive.
I plan to thoroughly enjoy the rest of my life, but I'd rather be in the generation ahead of me (who are in their late 80s now). I think growing up in the 30's and 40's and being an adult in the 1950s would have been a lot more interesting than most of that time added onto now will be.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Smart meters are not an attack on anything. If someone doesn't want one on their house, don't buy electricity, or fork out more for solar.
Don't buy electricity? Good plan here.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I assume some also have an issue with meter readers for water, invasion of privacy.

This is beyond a monthly reading and can provide data down to the second. By itself it may not be that revealing however it's aggregate of all this data that really becomes an issue. Your browsing habits, what you are buying even at the local store, when you are using power and how much, etc.

I have no issue with the smart meter itself however that data should belong to me.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Don't buy electricity? Good plan here.

Going forward when they get really "smart" you will have to fork over more cash if you don't have one installed. Most people pay x cents per kWh through the whole day because the utility never had a way to charge you variable rate. The cost of that power varies widely throughout the day. With the smart meter they can charge you more at peak demand however you'll be able to save money by using off peak. For example I have a relative doing this for the past 20 years, they have a timer and only heat water at night. Same thing with the clothes dryer, dishwasher and clothes washer. I think it's between 7PM and 6AM they get the lower rate.

This does a few things, by forcing demand to other hours of the day when there is plenty of capacity available you can reduce the amount of infrastructure upgrades. This also increases the efficiency of existing plants which are running longer during what used to be off peak demand.

Taking this step further with meter than can control things that consume a lot of power you can improve this even more. One of the largest issues with grid efficiency is things randomly turning on and off, this is an even worse issue during extreme weather events. The power company being able to delay things like your refrigerator, heating or AC for minutes or even seconds can vastly improve efficiency and lower costs. Even more importantly it can prevent blackouts during extreme weather events.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I plan to thoroughly enjoy the rest of my life, but I'd rather be in the generation ahead of me (who are in their late 80s now). I think growing up in the 30's and 40's and being an adult in the 1950s would have been a lot more interesting than most of that time added onto now will be.
Well, we don't get to choose. I believe, to paraphrase Charles Dickens, it'll be both the best and worst of times. Beyond what I said in my posts several years ago, I really believe the other key will be getting close to God. I'm sure some will think that makes me some kind of religious freak. So be it.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I read something recently about Ring allowing Amazon and CIA to have access to your computer network and everything on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies