Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I could chime in on this thread like nobody's business, but I decided to extract this single comment instead.

Hippies are what MADE the Frisbee. They didn't create it, but they spawned its universal popularity which gave rise to "Frisbee golf" and "Ultimate." A present-day Ultimate enthusiast of my acquaintance plays in "running shoes" due to the nature of the game. It's a pastime that rewards the swift, and could hardly not be considered exercise. Even simply tossing that plastic disc back and forth calls for high energy. The trajectories it takes can't be predicted except perhaps by physicists. So ya gotta run & dive to catch that thing before it hits the ground. (Why that's a grave situation to be avoided at all costs I've never understood. )

And, speaking of "running shoes," hippies MADE jogging, too, though here again they obviously didn't create it. Once in a used-book store I found a paperback from 1972 or '73 entitled "The Zen of Running," complete with a photo of a young man wearing singlet/shorts/tube socks/sneakers - and sporting ribcage-length hair - trotting along a deserted dirt road. Flipping through it, my laughter veered back and forth between that of derision and that of "I can relate to this all too well." The author(s) went to great lengths, often comically so, extolling the virtues of simplicity and becoming one with nature that jogging embraces. One of the all-time best selling issues of no less of a hippie lifestyle authority than "High Times" magazine had as its cover story, "Stay Healthy AND High...'Grass' [quotes mine] and Running." Bill & Emily Cunningham, two of the "radicals" who carried out the kidnapping of Patty Hearst in 1974, were easily apprehended by the "authorities." Surveillance had yielded the fact that the couple jogged every morning. So all that had to be done was wait for sunrise outside where they lived. Then "gotcha!"
The co-opting of jogging began later in the '70s, when people "mainstream America" would pay attention to (White men with advanced college degrees) started churning out their own takes on "The Zen of Running." Suddenly the Boston Marathon quit being a largely ignored event for hippies and eccentrics, and evolved into the Holy Grail of a worldwide craze. "Fun runs" - now far more often referred to by the more prosaic "5k" or "10k" - as well as other marathons proliferated all over the place. In 2015 all of this continues to show no sign of losing popularity. Egregiously overpriced sneakers, shorts, and other "gear" as well as accessories from pace-counting gadgets to target-marketed granola bars are a huge industry. Yuppies - that is, those who didn't become jaded and turn to triathlons and contrived "obstacle races" - have decisively displaced "weirdos" in the pursuit of the self-ingratiating "PR" (personal record.) But you can be sure none of this would've gotten started had it not been for long-haired freaky people 4-5 decades ago.

Not a few hippies (especially men) were able to see past the perceived violent nature of martial arts and even, to a small extent, the more mainstream "individual" contact sports. They fully bought into the overall concept of self-discipline, respect for others, and ethical behavior that is instilled in practitioners. And they thrived on being able to channel their natural aggression into a few minutes of intense, carefully monitored fighting. Shaggy, bearded dudes clad in the traditional white "gi" of Asian martial arts - and at times in boxing trunks or wrestling singlets - weren't an unusual sight mainly during the '70s. Outdoor concerts nearly always had as spontaneous sideshows, along with big disjointed circles of dancers and clusters of drummers, pairs of fired-up guys energetically punching and grappling in the grass only to come back to their feet with hearty laughter and bro hugs. (These rituals continued to play out at Grateful Dead, Phish, etc concerts well into the late 20th century.)
Here again, though, the selling out of martial arts got going, in this case not really accelerating until comparatively recently. The "all-American" zeal for violence began to be catered to by shrewd promoters, first with "Tough Guy Challenges" and then with "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu" (which is actually neither) and the bastardized mash-up of Western wrestling and Asian fight disciplines termed "Mixed Martial Arts." Nearly all of the ethical principles in place for centuries have been tossed aside because that's not what people pay to see or what "tough guys" want to follow. (Except for the lately ubiquitous Ronda Rousey fight sports are still overwhelmingly a male domain.) Here again, it was "those damn hippies" who discovered that it could be refreshing and soul-satisfying to whale away on somebody - with training, rules, and discipline - who should get a large measure of credit for keeping martial arts (Asian in particular) alive and noticed. The Western counterparts really didn't need any help.

Ever chop wood, rake/bale/toss hay, deliver a newborn lamb or calf, pump water fast from a well, or many other everyday labor-intensive farm chores? The back-to-the-land, commune dwelling, hippies did. (And that, admittedly, is why practically every commune and "cooperative farm" didn't last more than a few years.) If that isn't exercise, I don't know what is.

Farm chores, "chop socky," jogging, Frisbee...and hippies needed to get more exercise? Then as now, a substantial minority sure didn't.
Yep. Played a lot of Frisbee in the '60s. Still play though these days it's Frisbee golf. Great game and a good way to stay in shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I consider myself independent, and I know that the Hippies are often associated with liberals and Democrats. But I often wonder what would have happened if we listened to the Hippies. I wasn't around when Hippies roamed the earth, so I can only go off of what I know from popular culture reference. The Hippies were into smoking pot, which has become more and more accepted. While not harmless, it certainly isn't as bad as drinking or even smoking tobacco. Pot even has some medicinal benefits. The environment? After the Exxon Valdez, the deep water horizon rig and $4 gas prices, I can't say that I agree with using oil as a primary energy source. Vehicle fuel efficiency only increased in the past few years, and didn't budge from the 30's up until very recently. Perhaps if we made changes 50 years ago we wouldn't be in the oil-addicted situation we are in now. The Vietnam War? A total nightmare. And now we know that the entire thing was based on a lie of a false flag operation. The endless war "foreign conflict" idea still burns human lives and American taxpayer money. Organized religion? A complete disaster. From radical Islam to fundamental christians to the branch davidians to the scientolgists; a complete and total cluster-youknowwhat. I know a lot of people hate Hippies and will hate this post. But maybe, just maybe, if we listened to them 50 years ago, at least about some things, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.
You're absolutely correct with your observations. Hippies belong to the educated class, where social conservatives belong to the religious class.

The religious class has always favored war and gas guzzlers, are scientifically illiterate and fearful of other human beings not in their tribe.

It's why religion is always pushed down the throats of this country, because it is merely another means of control.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:02 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
One can identify a "liberal" by the words and phrases they use: earth becomes "planet." Thus, "save the planet."
So, what words would we identify a conservative by since they apparently don't accept that the earth is a planet? Still in tune with the Flat Earth Society? Or just the conservative trait of not wanting to tell it like it is?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You're absolutely correct with your observations. Hippies belong to the educated class, where social conservatives belong to the religious class.

The religious class has always favored war and gas guzzlers, are scientifically illiterate and fearful of other human beings not in their tribe.

It's why religion is always pushed down the throats of this country, because it is merely another means of control.
That is two rather fanciful observations followed by a third one that is insightful--that religion "is merely another means of control." However, where exactly is religion being "pushed down the throats" of anyone in the US. I have been an atheist (as I define it) for a long time, and never had religion pushed down my throat. Where have you seen this phenomenon. I have lots of friends who are persuaded of various religions, and there is no problem. Maybe it is you who is "fearful of other human beings" not in your tribe.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That is two rather fanciful observations followed by a third one that is insightful--that religion "is merely another means of control." However, where exactly is religion being "pushed down the throats" of anyone in the US. I have been an atheist (as I define it) for a long time, and never had religion pushed down my throat. Where have you seen this phenomenon. I have lots of friends who are persuaded of various religions, and there is no problem. Maybe it is you who is "fearful of other human beings" not in your tribe.
Are you serious? Have you not observed the constant references to "God" by politicians? In major sporting events?

Where have I seen this phenomenon? Before every NASCAR race I ever watched. In the seventh inning of every Major League baseball game. Every time I hear a politician end one of their speeches. In my local newspaper.

Those are some examples to get you started. Could you imagine the uproar if Islam was as prevalent in society as Christianity is? Well, it isn't, is it? Because we are a "Christian" nation, even though the founders of this country were self identified Deists and the nation was founded by those fleeing religious persecution.

But I digress.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Hippies were Libertarian.
They in no way wanted an authoritative government such as we have now or under the previous administration.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
I consider myself independent, and I know that the Hippies are often associated with liberals and Democrats. But I often wonder what would have happened if we listened to the Hippies. I wasn't around when Hippies roamed the earth, so I can only go off of what I know from popular culture reference. The Hippies were into smoking pot, which has become more and more accepted. While not harmless, it certainly isn't as bad as drinking or even smoking tobacco. Pot even has some medicinal benefits. The environment? After the Exxon Valdez, the deep water horizon rig and $4 gas prices, I can't say that I agree with using oil as a primary energy source. Vehicle fuel efficiency only increased in the past few years, and didn't budge from the 30's up until very recently. Perhaps if we made changes 50 years ago we wouldn't be in the oil-addicted situation we are in now. The Vietnam War? A total nightmare. And now we know that the entire thing was based on a lie of a false flag operation. The endless war "foreign conflict" idea still burns human lives and American taxpayer money. Organized religion? A complete disaster. From radical Islam to fundamental christians to the branch davidians to the scientolgists; a complete and total cluster-youknowwhat. I know a lot of people hate Hippies and will hate this post. But maybe, just maybe, if we listened to them 50 years ago, at least about some things, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.
Good points.

Maybe they had a bigger influence on our society than we think. You opened my eyes to some new perspectives.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Hippies were Libertarian.
They in no way wanted an authoritative government such as we have now or under the previous administration.
That's why the control freaks elected Nixon and Reagan.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:14 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
"I often wonder what would have happened if we listened to the Hippies."

The Hippies of old became teachers and now school administrators and college professors and we SEE what damage they have done.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I often wonder what would have happened if we listened to the Hippies."

The Hippies of old became teachers and now school administrators and college professors and we SEE what damage they have done.
Creating too many lawyers and stockbrokers in those schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies