Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

I consider myself independent, and I know that the Hippies are often associated with liberals and Democrats. But I often wonder what would have happened if we listened to the Hippies. I wasn't around when Hippies roamed the earth, so I can only go off of what I know from popular culture reference. The Hippies were into smoking pot, which has become more and more accepted. While not harmless, it certainly isn't as bad as drinking or even smoking tobacco. Pot even has some medicinal benefits. The environment? After the Exxon Valdez, the deep water horizon rig and $4 gas prices, I can't say that I agree with using oil as a primary energy source. Vehicle fuel efficiency only increased in the past few years, and didn't budge from the 30's up until very recently. Perhaps if we made changes 50 years ago we wouldn't be in the oil-addicted situation we are in now. The Vietnam War? A total nightmare. And now we know that the entire thing was based on a lie of a false flag operation. The endless war "foreign conflict" idea still burns human lives and American taxpayer money. Organized religion? A complete disaster. From radical Islam to fundamental christians to the branch davidians to the scientolgists; a complete and total cluster-youknowwhat. I know a lot of people hate Hippies and will hate this post. But maybe, just maybe, if we listened to them 50 years ago, at least about some things, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Drum circles and retards stoned out of their skulls do not drive an economy. So no..they weren't right. Not about anything with exception to music.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Hippies were more ideological than partisan. Case in point: they hated LBJ about as much as they hated Nixon. They were associated with the Democrat party only to the extent that the progressives eventually found a place at the Democrat party table. But they still had to share that table with good ol' boy southern Democrats with whom they obviously didn't see eye to eye.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Aghh.... NOTHING WRONG WITH TOBACCO!!!

GFYS!!!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I don't know......were/are the Urban Hipsters right.....aren't they the modern day hippies.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Aghh.... NOTHING WRONG WITH TOBACCO!!!

GFYS!!!
True. Except for the various cancers associated with the use of tobacco products. So, yes, except for horrible pain and death, nothing wrong with tobacco.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
The "War on Tobacco" has been a MAJOR factor in your "economic collapse"....

Corollate the dates of your favorite "BAN!!!" to the collapse... Yer all smug though, YOU THINK anyway....

Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hippies were more ideological than partisan. Case in point: they hated LBJ about as much as they hated Nixon. They were associated with the Democrat party only to the extent that the progressives eventually found a place at the Democrat party table. But they still had to share that table with good ol' boy southern Democrats with whom they obviously didn't see eye to eye.
Hippies didn't neccessarily see eye to eye with progressives. Where I live in the south I remember hearing how there were a fair amount of hippies who liked the culture of smoking pot, long hair, free love, music, etc. but disliked the women's rights and civil rights movements (Redneck Hippies). If anything they were closer to some of the Southern Democrats then progressives.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
True. Except for the various cancers associated with the use of tobacco products. So, yes, except for horrible pain and death, nothing wrong with tobacco.
And other lung diseases, like emphysema.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
I think many hippies were poseurs following a fad. The same type kids who are all tatted up and pierced these days. However, it was the boomers coming of age, and a massive slug of newly educated, idealistic young people were thinking about new ways to live in the future. Given that most of these same people became hypermaterialistic yuppies in the 1980s, I take their youthful lifestyles with a grain of salt. Still, the creativity and vision for the future were generally positive, except for all the drugs and sleeping around. I think both have consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies