Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
He said Basic. If your kids enters 1st grade without any reading ability he is already behind.
Isn't reading taught in the 1st grade?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,465,929 times
Yes it is. Successful kids already have a basic understanding when they get there. Then they sit there bored waiting for the rest of the class to catch up.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM

15,776 posts, read 21,285,292 times
Kids should know at the very least their alphabet before going into kindergarten - and preferably have some reading skills. Sure, it's something that should be taught by teachers, but if you think your child (or any child) is getting the best attention from one teacher in charge of 20+ students at varying levels - some who are dealing with serious setbacks - then you are not doing your job as a parent.

I strongly believe in the public school system, but somewhere along the line, parents stopped caring. Many of my friends are teachers through programs like Teach for America and the stories of parent entitlement are shocking. Parents who are angry that their child is failing after not turning in homework, parents who do not respond to phone calls, emails, or letters regarding their child's failing performance, parents who let their child know that the teacher's punishments will not be reinforced at home, etc. Teachers can't even fail kids anymore because of worries about parents.

I consider myself only a little bit above average - but because I had parents who encouraged learning at home above and beyond what went on at school and took interest in my schoolwork, I was always one of the elite students. My parents sent me to kindergarten reading chapter books and knowing long division. While that all evens out by high school, I started school on the advanced track from day 1. I graduated in the top 10% and went to an elite private university on almost a full scholarship not because I was the smartest, but because I had some of the best work ethic at my public school. And work ethic is not something teachers can effectively teach without a ton of legwork from parents.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,413,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

NO child should ever receive a report card until the 6th grade.....up to that point, the report card should be on the parents. And not based on test grades....it should be based on the things which I mentioned above.

Teachers are under extreme pressure and when they have to take time from other students in order to take care of your irresponsibility, they become less effective.
Teaching, and the style of teaching, is outdated - and should be retired. It is funny to "strike" for the "children" yet the Charter school's without the Unions performance is even better. . .

I for one have a huge problem with the "report card" element. I mean I don't care what you call it, but I better be able to understand what percentile my child is on the subjects required by age 6.

I would not disagree that there are a lot of problems with parents, and they cause significant issues in schooling children. Yet that should not take away from the sheer incompetence our teaching force - which is a direct result of separating merit from ability and work. As with any workforce, about 10-20% of those people in that workforce aren't cut out for the job. The problem with teachers - we never fire them. Those 10-20% fester and destroy.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,413,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Isn't reading taught in the 1st grade?
Yeah yeah, 1st grade. Don't teach your kids anything. I wouldn't be telling you this to weed out possible competition from my kid

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM

58,421 posts, read 26,752,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you send your child to 1st grade without basic reading skills, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school hungry, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without the basic tools, (pencils, copy book, erasers, etc.), you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without having checked their homework, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school dirty, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without a proper nights sleep, you've failed your child.

NO child should ever receive a report card until the 6th grade.....up to that point, the report card should be on the parents. And not based on test grades....it should be based on the things which I mentioned above.

Teachers are under extreme pressure and when they have to take time from other students in order to take care of your irresponsibility, they become less effective.
So, if ANY parent falls into any one of the items listed, why should their children even be sent to school if it is such a waste of time?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Kids should know at the very least their alphabet before going into kindergarten - and preferably have some reading skills. Sure, it's something that should be taught by teachers, but if you think your child (or any child) is getting the best attention from one teacher in charge of 20+ students at varying levels - some who are dealing with serious setbacks - then you are not doing your job as a parent.

I strongly believe in the public school system, but somewhere along the line, parents stopped caring. Many of my friends are teachers through programs like Teach for America and the stories of parent entitlement are shocking. Parents who are angry that their child is failing after not turning in homework, parents who do not respond to phone calls, emails, or letters regarding their child's failing performance, parents who let their child know that the teacher's punishments will not be reinforced at home, etc. Teachers can't even fail kids anymore because of worries about parents.

I consider myself only a little bit above average - but because I had parents who encouraged learning at home above and beyond what went on at school and took interest in my schoolwork, I was always one of the elite students. My parents sent me to kindergarten reading chapter books and knowing long division. While that all evens out by high school, I started school on the advanced track from day 1. I graduated in the top 10% and went to an elite private university on almost a full scholarship not because I was the smartest, but because I had some of the best work ethic at my public school. And work ethic is not something teachers can effectively teach without a ton of legwork from parents.
WOW! 20+ in a class. I never had less then 30+ in any of my classes from 1st grade all the way through high school.

I guess the teachers of today just aren't as good as those of the past.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,133,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, if ANY parent falls into any one of the items listed, why should their children even be sent to school if it is such a waste of time?

I agree, homeschool and do a better job. at least children will actually be getting an education, instead of a socially politically correct education.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Teaching, and the style of teaching, is outdated - and should be retired. It is funny to "strike" for the "children" yet the Charter school's without the Unions performance is even better. . .

I for one have a huge problem with the "report card" element. I mean I don't care what you call it, but I better be able to understand what percentile my child is on the subjects required by age 6.

I would not disagree that there are a lot of problems with parents, and they cause significant issues in schooling children. Yet that should not take away from the sheer incompetence our teaching force - which is a direct result of separating merit from ability and work. As with any workforce, about 10-20% of those people in that workforce aren't cut out for the job. The problem with teachers - we never fire them. Those 10-20% fester and destroy.
"Those 10-20% fester and destroy". They become the principals and School Board Administrators!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I agree, homeschool and do a better job. at least children will actually be getting an education, instead of a socially politically correct education.
I had the pleasure of working with some home schooled children. Each of them graduated with 4.0 in college. Great young men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies