Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I agree, homeschool and do a better job. at least children will actually be getting an education, instead of a socially politically correct education.
With the way public education has been dumb downed, I can't knock parents for saying the heck with the system & taking things into their own hands.

Either that or make sure you got enough dough for a good private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
With the way public education has been dumb downed, I can't knock parents for saying the heck with the system & taking things into their own hands.

Who forced the system to dumb down?
Parents whose little darlings were not in the "A" division became upset.
It was every one else's fault, their kid was stigmatized, they were discriminating, etc., etc., etc.

Was it right, no.
Did it happen that way, pretty much.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It was every one else's fault, their kid was stigmatized, they were discriminating, etc., etc., etc.

Was it right, no.
Can't argue with most of the above.

A quality education in the States is mighty expensive.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
In my opinion, the education of the child is a partnership between educator and parent. Both are accountable in my book. The teacher can try, but it will be in vain if the parent is not reinforcing what the child is taught, or worse yet completely undermining what h/she is taught.

I was blessed "back in the day" with diligent teachers and an involved parent. So, of course, I would give the same opportunities to my own children. We do homework together (more like, we supervise while she does it. We let her figure things out on her own). If there are any behavioural "blips", we address them. Teachers feel confident that we are taking things to heart. Too often, the teacher is blamed, when the parent isn't keeping up their end of the bargain. At the same time, if the teacher isn't a good communicator, doesn't inform the parent of issues, etc., then that is on them.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you send your child to 1st grade without basic reading skills, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school hungry, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without the basic tools, (pencils, copy book, erasers, etc.), you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without having checked their homework, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school dirty, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without a proper nights sleep, you've failed your child.

NO child should ever receive a report card until the 6th grade.....up to that point, the report card should be on the parents. And not based on test grades....it should be based on the things which I mentioned above.

Teachers are under extreme pressure and when they have to take time from other students in order to take care of your irresponsibility, they become less effective.
I educated my 4 sons before they went to kindergarden, one is in college and has a good job, another has has a good job, and my two youngest are doing well in school, one is a junoir and the other a 5th grader andI still educate them to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
No point in sending my child to school then. I thought schools were supposed to teach reading.
They are but so are parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
He said Basic. If your kids enters 1st grade without any reading ability he is already behind.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
What were they doing in kindergarden?
Supposedly pollishing their skills.

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Most kindergardens are taxpayer financed daycare.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Isn't reading taught in the 1st grade?
Yes but that doesn't replace the parents responcibility.

Quote:
Yes it is. Successful kids already have a basic understanding when they get there. Then they sit there bored waiting for the rest of the class to catch up.
This is why kids should be tested and place according to test scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I couldn't agree more Parents are responsible for their children's failure to get an education, i see it all the time blaming the school while they let the kids stay up all night and never check to see if they do their home work.
Much of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
No they are not
You really need to educate yourself on the facts.

Quote:

Amen.

Quote:

Was it right, no.
Exactly.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I agree with the OP and if those conditions are met and there are no unusual circumstances your child will do well in school.

People asking "then why bother with school" obviously don't get it. Why bother if reading to and feeding your kids is something you do regularly? REALLY? Because school can add plenty to that but the parents who are dropping the ball on even the basics are as prepared to homeschool as I am to preform open heart surgery. I do know how to treat a fever and clean a wound however.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM

89,013 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:

Was it right, no.
Not exactly...

The anti-intellectual, anti- academic talent development mindset educators have had for decades now has its roots in the anti-establishment 1960s.

More, here, in the section titled The Incubus Of The Sixties:
Quote:
In every conceivable fashion the reigning ethos of those times was hostile to excellence in education. Individual achievement fell under intense suspicion, as did attempts to maintain standards. Discriminating among students on the basis of ability or performance was branded "elitist." Educational gurus of the day called for essentially nonacademic schools, whose main purpose would be to build habits of social cooperation and equality rather than to train the mind. A good education, it was said, maximized the child's innate spontaneity, creativity, and affection for others. To the extent that logic and acquired knowledge interfered with that process, they were devalued.
And The Shock Of College-Level Demands:
Quote:
Accompanying this pervasive dumbing-down of the curriculum has been a wholesale change in school philosophy. ...
Perhaps most crucial, the sixties mentality, with its strong animus against what it defines as "elitism," has shifted the locus of concern in American education from high to low achievers. All over the country educators today typically judge themselves by how well they can reach the least-able student in the system, the slowest one in the class. Programs to help the culturally disadvantaged and the learning-disabled have proliferated, while those for the gifted receive no more than token interest.

The prevailing ideology holds that it is much better to give up the prospect of excellence than to take the chance of injuring any student's self-esteem. Instead of trying to spur children on to set high standards for themselves, teachers invest their energies in making sure that slow learners do not come to think of themselves as failures. These attitudes have become so ingrained that in conversations with teachers and administrators one often senses a virtual prejudice against bright students. There is at times an underlying feeling, never articulated, that such children start off with too many advantages, and that it would be just as well to hold them back until their less fortunate contemporaries catch up with them.
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11

...And that is exactly what has happened.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
More, here, in the section titled The Incubus Of The Sixties:And The Shock Of College-Level Demands:The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11
I have often used that article in education related threads.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM

89,013 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I have often used that article in education related threads.
It explains why our country's top students rank at the bottom compared to the top students in the rest of the world.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It explains why our country's top students rank at the bottom compared to the top students in the rest of the world.
At least if the US is not good at producing Einsteins, we have done and should continue doing a great job of attracting other peoples' Einsteins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies