Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM

88,991 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If parents aren't up to the job of raising children to be productive adults, they should forego the idea of breeding.
Better yet, they should forego the act of breeding.

It's a job, and it's the parent's job - it is their responsibility to raise their child.
Don't want to do the work, don't have the kids.

Why should the rest of society suffer because you don't want to do your job?
OMG! I can't believe that liberals are actually getting the fact that the welfare-dependent breeding at a rate of 3 times everyone else is a PROBLEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM

15,069 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
What an overly dramatized post. You make it seem like it's torture for kids to go to school.
No, I'm just providing facts ... it's the problem that is "dramatic". And others, including professionals in the area of sleep and psychiatry also agree with those facts. This is from the American Psychiatric Association regarding teenagers, sleep and high school schedules:

Sleep deprivation may be undermining teen health

Excerpt:

In adults, such meager sleep allowances are known to affect day-to-day functioning in myriad ways. In adolescents, who are biologically driven to sleep longer and later than adults do, the effects of insufficient sleep are likely to be even more dramatic--so much so that some sleep experts contend that the nation's early high-school start times, increasingly common, are tantamount to abuse.

"Almost all teen-agers, as they reach puberty, become walking zombies because they are getting far too little sleep," comments Cornell University psychologist James B. Maas, PhD, one of the nation's leading sleep experts.

Quote:
The only time I woke up earlier for public school than I do nowadays (for my professional job) was when I was in IB for high school - only because our buses ran before the normal high school route. My bus stop was at 6:05am. Knowing this, and deciding to stay up until butt'o'clock at night was my own choice. And yeah, I suffered. Wasn't the school's fault. I knew what time I needed to be awake.
This is EXACTLY what I was referring to ... these children are treated like adults, just as you compare their schedule to your adult schedule, dictated by your professional job. Kids ARE NOT ADULTS, and they require much more sleep than adults. Most professionals say that children require 10-12 hours of sleep, with some a little more, and some a little less .... but according to studies, the vast majority of kids are not getting nearly that amount. And this is happening for a number of reasons, not limited to, but include the parents extended schedules of work, which generally dictate the kids schedules too.

This is no longer the world of June and Ward Cleaver, in case you haven't noticed, and Beaver and the family are not gathered around the dinner table at 5:15 pm sharp, surrounded by a wholesome home cooked meal, nor has June already spent the obligatory hour with Beaver on his homework before dinner. Most parents today are working, and still at work, or in rush hour traffic at 6:00 pm or later ... and just having dinner at 7:30 if they are lucky. Following the OP's "mandates" for proper parenting would necessarily also have to incorporate an hour of homework review, dinner and bath, and MAYBE off to bed by 9:30 pm or even 10:00 pm, if the kid and parent actually wants a little non-work interaction ... you know, just time to be a kid and a parent.

Here's another bit of discourse on the subject:

7 Year Old Child Development - Behavior and Daily Routines

Excerpt:

"Seven-year-olds may find it difficult to get to bed at a reasonable hour because children this age may have more challenging homework and be involved in after-school activities such as team sports -- things that can cut into the amount of free time kids have between the end of school and bedtime. Add to that TV time, socializing with friends, and wanting to spend time with family, and you have a lot of things packed into a few hours."

More information:

How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? | National Sleep Foundation - Information on Sleep Health and Safety

Quote:
Before that? Waking up at 730-8am. That's not ridiculously early. In Japan, most students are already in school by 7am, so that they can clean, study, practice sports, etc. Their kids aren't suffering the kind of atrocious test scores that American kids get.
Don't even tell me what they do in Japan ..... soon enough, their kids will be freaking glowing in the dark, due to Fukushima, for Christ sake. They're eating radioactive food, and attending schools in areas that should be evacuated, and off limits to humans.

Quote:
The difference is the parents. If you have parents who whine, kvetch and moan like a mewling **** about it, the kids pick up on it and will do the same. If you have parents who'll dump frozen marbles in their kid's bed if they're not up and ready to go at a specific time, the kids will start to do it on their own.
Ah yes ... that explains everything ... "Drop your $%^ and grab your socks" .... dump a bucket of ice water on the little lazy sleepy eyed schleps, and that'll teach em' not to spring out of bed when the bugle trumpets. Ah shut up, quit the moaning ... grow a pair ... life is hard ... quit your bellyaching and get your butt on that bus? And the beatings will continue until grades and morale improves.

"Liberal compassion" is only eclipsed by "liberal logic". And now we have uncovered the mystery of why our schools are producing illiterate children ..... a shortage of freaking frozen marbles.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Showing your age, aren't you.
Kids are behind if they don't know the alphabet, at least, by kindergarten.

If a parent reads to their kid, the kid is better prepared for life, learning and school.
Parents do have the responsibility to help their kids learn; the child learns from and mimics the parent behavior.
Teachers present the information, parents reiniforce the lessons.

Wouldn't you want to participate in your kid's preparation for life?
Wow!

I never thought we would agree on anything!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its the school ADMINISTRATORS that have failed the teachers and the students
That's another issue.

People need to be 100% involved in their childs education.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 AM

All of the above is because the charter schools can choose the best performing students from the pool of applicants....which generally have the more involved parents.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Wow!

I never thought we would agree on anything!
Had the same thought when I read it.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you send your child to 1st grade without basic reading skills, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school hungry, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without the basic tools, (pencils, copy book, erasers, etc.), you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without having checked their homework, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school dirty, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without a proper nights sleep, you've failed your child.

NO child should ever receive a report card until the 6th grade.....up to that point, the report card should be on the parents. And not based on test grades....it should be based on the things which I mentioned above.

Teachers are under extreme pressure and when they have to take time from other students in order to take care of your irresponsibility, they become less effective.
Having been that parent, two times, let me add a few things.

If your child brings home an "Attaboy" note from the teacher with misspelled words and grammatical errors, It's the parent's job to ensure the teacher is removed.

If the teacher continuously allows the school bully to terrorize the students, it's the parent's job to advise the school and the school board of the teacher's failings.

If the teacher grades your child's math test, and counts correct answers as incorrect, because they are using the wrong KEY, and cannot perform simple math on their own, then it's the parent's job to correct the teacher.

When the teacher makes disparaging remarks about other religions, it's the parent's jobs to take action.

When the teacher forces students to all write the city council over something the TEACHER wants politically, it's the parent's job to take action.

When you as the parent meets the teacher on parent teacher night, and the first thing you notice, is the teacher is incapable of forming complete sentences, using nouns as verbs, and you can smell alcohol on the teacher as far as 8 feet away, it's the parent's job to get the teacher removed.

When the teacher calls the parent to complain about something their child has written a report on, because the teacher politically disagrees with the report, it's the parent's job to remind the teacher and the school that it isn't the teachers job to politically pressure the child one way or the other, and that the child has to learn to think for themselves, not as someone else WANTS them to think.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
With the way public education has been dumb downed, I can't knock parents for saying the heck with the system & taking things into their own hands.

Either that or make sure you got enough dough for a good private school.

when teachers in the public school system send their own children to private schools, what does that tell you about the teachers confidence of having their children getting an education in a public school?

I know of 2 teachers in my school district that have their children homeschooled. that told me alot about the school system here.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
This is very true. So many parents are just worthless and don't give a crap about their kids then want to blame teachers and schools when their kids turn out to be illiterate tards.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
I teach at a charter school. We "counsel out" kids left and right. That is absolutely not the same as traditional public schools who can't counsel kids out at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies