Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Reputation: 4258

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC2012 View Post
This is nothing but Mr Brown trying to derail the warren campaign...
I think and hope that MA residents will see thru it ...
Mass residents have probably seen just about all of Ms. Warren they care see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
 
8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
IT is pretty cut and dry.....she's GOT NO LAW LICENSE in Massachusetts!!

IF she did, you'd be able to access her name in the database of licensed lawyers in MA.
Once again you create a very misleading thread.

If Warren has limited her practice to FEDERAL COURT cases, and does not practice in state courts in MA, she does not need a MA license. Bankruptcy law is actually a sort of specialty area of the law and Bankrupty Court is a FEDERAL COURT jurisdiction. If she has anyone who works with her who does have a MA law license, they can take care of any state court issues that may arise.

Additionally, Pro hac vice is a term you should learn.

Latin: "for this occasion" or "for this event" (literally, "for this turn"),[1] is a legal term usually referring to a lawyer who has not been admitted to practice in a certain jurisdiction but has been allowed to participate in a particular case in that jurisdiction.

The right to appear pro hac vice is not guaranteed. Rather, the attorney wanting to practice in a jurisdiction within which he or she is not licensed must specifically request permission from the court to be able to appear as an attorney of record. This is accomplished with a motion to appear pro hac vice, in which an attorney who is licensed in the jurisdiction requests that the non‐licensed attorney be admitted to practice in a particular case.

Pro hac vice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM
 
8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
OK, I didn't really care to look this up, but here is information from her bio according to her website and Wiki.

She got a law degree from Rutgers, graduated and became pregnant, so she practiced law from home, writing wills and doing real estate closings. Then she taught law at several universities, got tenured at U Penn, then moved to Harvard in 1992. Her involvement with government began in 1995 when she was asked to advise the National Bankruptcy Review Commission. I think that this is because as a professor, she did research into reasons for people filing bankruptcy. I know she wrote a book called The Two Income Trap (that I read a while back), where she mentioned her bankruptcy research.

I don't think she worked as a bankruptcy attorney.

Anywho, I don't see where she practiced law in MA. Seems like she has been a professor and researcher for most of her career.
A couple of cases mentioned above were bankruptcy cases. She doesn't need a MA law license to practice in Federal Court. Bankruptcy is federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Reputation: 29983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It depends. If she practiced in federal court, she just needed to be licensed in a state, but not necessarily Massachusetts.

In any case, what are you implying? If she practiced law without a license, she would be censured by the relevant state bar. Was she? If not, do you think there was a big conspiracy to allow her to practice law without a license?
Putting aside for the moment the veracity or lack thereof of the article's claim... how can one be censured by a bar that one isn't even a member of? Practicing without a license is not a "censure" matter, that's a criminal matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
 
8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Putting aside for the moment the veracity or lack thereof of the article's claim... how can one be censured by a bar that one isn't even a member of? Practicing without a license is not a "censure" matter, that's a criminal matter.
Obviously she is not practicing law in MA state courts without a license. If she were, it would have already been more than a "problem" for her. She most likely limits her cases to federal court, appears to have experience in the specialty of bankruptcy law, which is Federal Law and Bankruptcy Court is part of the Federal Court system. This woman is not a sleazy wannabe. She knows what she is doing. She knows the law. She is not breaking the law by practicing law in the state courts of MA without a license. As I mentioned above, you should probably learn what Pro hac vice means........if she ever need to practice in MA state court she could file a motion to represent someone in a matter Pro Hac Vice OR she could hire someone with a MA law license to cover the matters for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
 
26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Reputation: 14617
If Mitt Romney did this...ohhhh.....then it would be a story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
 
8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If Mitt Romney did this...ohhhh.....then it would be a story!
No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't be illegal for Mitt Romney to practice law in Federal Court in MA without a MA law license, if he were admitted to practice in Federal Courts. There's nothing wrong with this. It is not at all "shady".....even though Brown supporters would probably very much like it to be a "story."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Reputation: 29983
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Obviously she is not practicing law in MA state courts without a license. If she were, it would have already been more than a "problem" for her. She most likely limits her cases to federal court, appears to have experience in the specialty of bankruptcy law, which is Federal Law and Bankruptcy Court is part of the Federal Court system. This woman is not a sleazy wannabe. She knows what she is doing. She knows the law. She is not breaking the law by practicing law in the state courts of MA without a license. As I mentioned above, you should probably learn what Pro hac vice means........if she ever need to practice in MA state court she could file a motion to represent someone in a matter Pro Hac Vice OR she could hire someone with a MA law license to cover the matters for her.
Yeah thanks for the treatise and all, but it still doesn't answer my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM
 
8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah thanks for the treatise and all, but it still doesn't answer my question.
It wasn't a "treatise." Just a little simple information about such things as practicing in state court vs. federal court and how an attorney may be allowed to represent someone in a specific hearing in a court in which he/she is not licensed by that particular state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Reputation: 29983
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It wasn't a "treatise." Just a little simple information about such things as practicing in state court vs. federal court and how an attorney may be allowed to represent someone in a specific hearing in a court in which he/she is not licensed by that particular state.
Yeah, thanks for giving me a bunch of information I didn't ask for. Do you have an answer for my question or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top