Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,969,005 times

Advertisements

If you are sitting on fence about who to vote for, Brown or Warren.

I would go with Warren. She scares the **** out Wall St fat cats because she will prosecute them and stand up for consumers.

Brown is just going to preserve the status quo.

This is plainly the case. Now, if voters can get past his blind partisanship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,691,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Putting aside for the moment the veracity or lack thereof of the article's claim... how can one be censured by a bar that one isn't even a member of? Practicing without a license is not a "censure" matter, that's a criminal matter.
Every state bar has a committee dedicated to investigating people who practice law without a license. If Elizabeth Warren were practicing in a MA state court without a license, I would have to assume that she would have been found out by now. It's not like she's maintaining a low profile. And you're correct, it certainly can be a criminal matter, although it would be up to the district attorney's office to prosecute it.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM

17,396 posts, read 11,962,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
So the question is whether she has been practicing law in this state without a license.
The bigger question to me is whether she's running a business out of her Harvard office. I know my boss would be pretty miffed it I did that.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The bigger question to me is whether she's running a business out of her Harvard office. I know my boss would be pretty miffed it I did that.
Law professors practice law and write books all the time.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 PM

235 posts, read 276,048 times
I am one of those and i like what i see of Ms. Warren. Not only after she decided to run for senate from MA but long before that...
I like to see someone figuring out a way or seriously trying to stop the Street to be reckless... in the way they have been in last few years.
Having said that, i do understand Mr. Brown has his own base .. but it is getting tough for him to hold on to his base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Mass residents have probably seen just about all of Ms. Warren they care see.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,403,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, thanks for giving me a bunch of information I didn't ask for. Do you have an answer for my question or not?
Your question was would this be a criminal violation?

Your question has been answered by Marlow:

//www.city-data.com/forum/26231931-post42.html

Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Every state bar has a committee dedicated to investigating people who practice law without a license. If Elizabeth Warren were practicing in a MA state court without a license, I would have to assume that she would have been found out by now. It's not like she's maintaining a low profile. And you're correct, it certainly can be a criminal matter, although it would be up to the district attorney's office to prosecute it.
The person writing in the OP link is making a lot of the location of her office, saying that she must have a MA license in order to have a physical office in MA? Do you know if that's true if her practice is limited to federal court?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The person writing in the OP link is making a lot of the location of her office, saying that she must have a MA license in order to have a physical office in MA? Do you know if that's true if her practice is limited to federal court?
I don't know. I saw that she's known as a bankruptcy attorney and figured that's what she does. I also read the link and it didn't say anything about her practicing in state or federal court, just that she lives in MA but isn't licensed there. The OP hasn't been back, as usual.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't know. I saw that she's known as a bankruptcy attorney and figured that's what she does. I also read the link and it didn't say anything about her practicing in state or federal court, just that she lives in MA but isn't licensed there. The OP hasn't been back, as usual.
It has been my assumption that she practices in federal court because the cases that were mentioned in the OP link certainly seem to be federal court cases. Bankruptcy Court is federal court and it seems to me that she does specialize in bankruptcy. I also noticed that the author didn't distinguish between federal and state court, but he cited a bunch of federal court cases.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It has been my assumption that she practices in federal court because the cases that were mentioned in the OP link certainly seem to be federal court cases. Bankruptcy Court is federal court and it seems to me that she does specialize in bankruptcy. I also noticed that the author didn't distinguish between federal and state court, but he cited a bunch of federal court cases.
Also most of the cases cited were where she wrote amicus curiae briefs and appeared "of counsel". I don't know if you have to be licensed to file an amicus curiae brief. And as you've pointed out, she could have filed to appear pro hac vice. I just think it's unlikely that she's appearing in court without the proper license. But if she has, I assume the MA bar and the federal court will be taking action soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies