Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM

23,969 posts, read 15,069,127 times

Advertisements

I suspect that if she were handling a case in MA, the opposing attorney would be interested if she could legally practice law. If she had no right to represent anyone, the other team would be raising hell with the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:49 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I know a native American grandmother who would slap the silly off your face if you said that to her!

She only graduated high school. But she became a law clerk, and passed the bar exam with only her own self-taught efforts. She was aided and coached by her lawyer-employer, though, and she's now working for him as a junior partner.

I'm not going to accuse you of racism, but when it smells like a dead rat, it's usually a dead rat. And this reply stinks.

Really? Well she seems to believe that she has a Native American Grandmother...and now she was "mistaken" she doesn't have one....that smells like a dead rat.

and please before I vomit stop with the racism bullshi&...it gets old...I'm from Colorado...I'll give you a guess what nationality I have ( and can prove)..... Oh and I also NEVER used it for college admittance. I also have enough brains unlike Warren to know exactly what nationality I do have in my veins...instead of thinking "well I have high cheekbones, it must be true."

Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
I don't know MA law, but basically it seems as though this isn't a big deal.

Warren law license matter called non-issue

Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't know MA law, but basically it seems as though this isn't a big deal.

It seems that Brown only has non-issues to go after Warren with.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
If you are sitting on fence about who to vote for, Brown or Warren.

I would go with Warren. She scares the **** out Wall St fat cats because she will prosecute them and stand up for consumers.

Brown is just going to preserve the status quo.

This is plainly the case. Now, if voters can get past his blind partisanship.
No. Warren should run for state attorney general, that's all she is good for in politics. She has no skillset to be a state SENATOR. She would be completely useless to MA as a state senator.

And not only that, but Warren would be completely partisan in the way she would vote. So thumbs down for her.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I don't know. This story just broke yesterday and I don't think she's been questioned about that angle. She just confirmed that she has no license in Mass.
thanks. it will be interesting if it turns out that there is some advantage to her politically in resigning rather than letting it lapse.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Warren should run for state attorney general, that's all she is good for in politics. She has no skillset to be a state SENATOR. She would be completely useless to MA as a state senator.

And not only that, but Warren would be completely partisan in the way she would vote. So thumbs down for her.
What do you consider to be a good "skillset" to be a Senator? I would think that being very intelligent and well educated would be a good start.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What do you consider to be a good "skillset" to be a Senator? I would think that being very intelligent and well educated would be a good start.
I would think that if you were being honest, you would never have voted for Oblama. And you wouldn't continually trash Mitt Romney, who is smarter and better educated than Oblama and Lieawatha put together.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I would think that if you were being honest, you would never have voted for Oblama. And you wouldn't continually trash Mitt Romney, who is smarter and better educated than Oblama and Lieawatha put together.
Huh?

Romney is really not someone I want as President. I don't like his past. I don't think someone who made a lot of money as a corporate raider is a good fit for President. I think Romney may be intelligent and well educated, but overall he's clueless about life and people outside his 1% socio-economic level. That's not good for the country.

I have no idea what you mean by "if" I "were being honest," I "would never have voted for Obama." Actually, I probably like Warren even better than I like Obama.

IMO, your post is silly.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
The Brown's accusation and the thread are DOA!

The Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers has already ruled on the issue. Warren was not in violation of any Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct. Period, end of story and thread.
Rule 5.5 of the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct states that an attorney cannot, without a license to practice in Massachusetts, "establish an office or other systematic and continuous presence in this jurisdiction for the practice of law." It also states an attorney cannot, without a license, "hold out to the public or otherwise represent that the lawyer is admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction."

Michael Fredrickson, general counsel for the BBO, says he does not believe a law professor would be considered to have "a continuous presence" or "an office practicing law."

"If they actually practice here - as some part-time law professors at some of the smaller schools do - they might," Fredrickson says. "But being a professor at one of the large schools, their office is a professor's office, and the fact that they tend to dabble in the practice of law doesn't run afoul of our rule. I don't think Elizabeth Warren would fall within that, such that she would have to register here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies