Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
More like the conservative dream.

Who cares if your wages are deflating at your job while the executives pocket record profits and add closets that are twice as big as these micro apartments to their own homes? You and your family can move into a deluxe shoebox in the sky.

Don't like it? Work harder you lazy POS. After all, we can ALL be millionaires if we only try hard enough, right?
Right, San Francisco, the conservative heaven. Looks more like it's a liberal dream to pack people into micro apartments, jack up the rents and maximize their profits. Of course a good liberal would never admit that is their goal, even though it is.

If people want to live in a tiny apartment they're welcome to it. I'd rather live in a camper in a rural area than a shoebox in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Right, San Francisco, the conservative heaven. Looks more like it's a liberal dream to pack people into micro apartments, jack up the rents and maximize their profits. Of course a good liberal would never admit that is their goal, even though it is.
So capitalism is a liberal goal now? Gosh.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:

If people want to live in a tiny apartment they're welcome to it. I'd rather live in a camper in a rural area than a shoebox in the city.
Even though capitalism has survived when small apartments and multiple tenants where the norm in the early to mid 20th century? In fact, capitalism may prefer these type of residences as more people populate the Earth and more people reach "middle class" status.

You're right, if San Francisco wants to allow these apartments, then why shouldn't they?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Why would it be going too far? If the demand is there, go for it. It's a business deal, it will create jobs and so on. I don't see the problem, people can live how they want.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And what's frightening is those people think they're the smart ones.

Give me a 2500 sq ft house on 2 acres any day.
It is perfectly cool with me if you want to live like that, but two acres of land just seems like a lot of mowing I don't want to do, plus wasteful watering if I didn't choose to Xeriscape. Given the tolerance that others show to your dwelling choices, why can't you grant the same tolerance to others who would rather live their lives in a vibrant cityscape unencumbered by cars and the other accoutrements of suburban living? I'd rather be able to walk to cool restaurants, museums, parks, and coffee shops. To each his or her own: it seems that the city dwellers here are being the most tolerant as compared to the posts from those with large spreads who are deploring what is happening with studio-style housing in big cities, which is housing that they will never have anything to do with unless as landlords.

This is the thing that gets me about these threads: if you do not live near SF, SD, LA, or in the Tri-State: Why do you care? How could this trend, born, as it was, out of the housing crisis of 1900-1910, and then the repeat of that in the late 20-oughts, possibly affect you? Why do you care that others live more cheaply than you, forgoing some of your creature comforts? Why is that so offensive?

I will admit that I am drawn to these threads like a moth to a light, but only because I. simply. do. not. get. the. arguments. against. small. apartments. Small apartments allowed me to attend a really good school on scholarship with no student loans; the ability to lease such an apartment in graduate school also prevented me from having to borrow huge amounts of money. Shouldn't conservatives approve of such values and such a work ethic?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

Lol...so in other words, its better to live in a rural shoebox than an urban one? Wow...amazing.

You can't afford to live in San Fran anyway regardless of apartment size, so I don't know why you're so against this proposal.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Sure beats trying to
'live' mostly in your tiny bedroom and sharing a kitchen and bathroom with 2 or 3 apartment mates.
Privacy

Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I think the point is that currently, the government says you can't build apartments that are smaller than a certain size. The proposal is to legalize smaller apartments, something to which some of our Tea Party friends are violently objecting -- which means they apparently favor government regulation, at least in this instance.

People will build what the market will bear. If there is a market for smaller apartments, then, by all means, build them. Sheesh.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
These sound like Archie Bunker's place in the city. I could see me living in one of these 5 days a week to be available for a high 6 figure job while having another place in the country. Survive in the city and live in Marin County until I had made a few million then just drop out like the old song says.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
This thread is hilarious. It shows the only constant with far right ideology is being against something you don't personally like or understand even if being against it runs counter to your other beliefs.

I can hear the internal conversation now, "Loosening regulations, allowing less restrained markets to respond to a product demand... Nope, because I don't like city living and other people shouldn't either, especially when it's that liberal hell hole of San Francisco. People choosing something that doesn't fit my personal experiences and preferences... Must be a UN conspiracy because no smart person would choose something different from what I've done."

You can take that internal thought process and plug in any number of issues that get argued in these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies