Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
BS. I shouldn't have to force to shell out money just for owning my own property. It may not be as egregious as the income tax, but still is bad. It's one of those taxes which is a double whammy - it goes to fund public education which, if I don't have kids, I shouldn't be forced to fund, and which in turn increases the house values on paper, which in turn results in higher property taxation. Never ending cycle. A consumption tax is only if you consume something and I can control my consumption to lower my tax burden, but the property tax is a permanent noose around the neck.

OK, back on topic.
Yeah you should. Funny how offended people get about "just owning land". You didn't make it. Lets compare it to the other alternative known as slave tax, skin tax, tax me in a tree, tax me in the sea, tax me , tax me, tax me. When you put up a fence, you are in my way so if we plan on getting along you better compensate me for claiming something I know you didn't make. However you have no right to the stuff I make ,and I have no right to the stuff you make. You do have a right to personal space, but its based upon you and your stuff, not the rocks.

Oh an my Ukrainian friends mention how in Ukraine you can just own land and not pay. What paradise. What happens is land owners sit around and charge rent where people who don't have it have to pay rent as a permanent noose around their neck. You take up space, you pay. You take up space of little value, you pay very little. If you take up valuable space, you pay or get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
ya geolibertarians have received a lot of hostility, including from myself as little as a decade ago. i have since become more sympathetic to their views. but then land ownership has never been very high on my list of priorities.
Look at the idiots behind that idea. Those would be people like Adam Smith and John Locke who were the essential frame work of the philosophy of the United States. The reason why the United States was so prosperous was because rentiers could get nowhere with such vast resources. Everyone had to produce. The US was not a libertarin property owning paradise. It was a geolibertarian paradise because it was free of rentiers.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
It was a geolibertarian paradise because it was free of rentiers.
Keyword= was

The way things are going, at some point, the government will step in and take control of anything of value. Everything else they'll tax into oblivion. It's really quite Ayn Rand+1984ish. I also think this is what the end of cheap energy looks like, and it's going to get real ugly.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
I am very interested in this city-state. Everyone knows it will be hard at first, but the potential is there.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Keyword= was

The way things are going, at some point, the government will step in and take control of anything of value. Everything else they'll tax into oblivion. It's really quite Ayn Rand+1984ish. I also think this is what the end of cheap energy looks like, and it's going to get real ugly.
Jefferson's way of handling it was dispersing the land. I am fine with small land owneship exemptions, but any taxes need to come from that and not labor. I don't aim to tax all the value out of land. What I don't want is 100 large absentee land owners or billionaire "homesteaders" on park avenue not paying a value tax. When the Bureau of Reclamation began there was an acreage limitation. We screwed that up and no have millionaire welfare recipients. Its the large estate that is the problem. Since that is what did in Rome to a large degree, its a clue.

As far energy, we could cut consumption in half if we even bothered to try. Diesel is more efficient, and we could drive small cars. Add waste grease for bio diesel for another few percents and the problem is solved for now. Lets not even get into our exurbia designs.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I am very interested in this city-state. Everyone knows it will be hard at first, but the potential is there.
Just read about ancient Greece. I do think it is worthwhile though. After all most people don't read what we did a thousand times already. So why not create a test pot of societal evolution for people who live only in the present. The problem I see however is if they eject anyone out in any numbers, its falsified. The reason is because exporting their social unrest is not a closed system. So the question is will there be an underclass, and what will happen to it?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Just read about ancient Greece. I do think it is worthwhile though. After all most people don't read what we did a thousand times already. So why not create a test pot of societal evolution for people who live only in the present. The problem I see however is if they eject anyone out in any numbers, its falsified. The reason is because exporting their social unrest is not a closed system. So the question is will there be an underclass, and what will happen to it?
Yes. I have read up on the various Greek city-states, and depending on their governmental/economic models, they have had a some failures and some successes. I think a modified model used by the American Forefathers (at least, some of them) could help make this new city a kind of "Hong Kong" of the Caribbean. Hopefully, these things are planned and decided beforehand.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,346 times
Actually planning to move there if Hillary or Santorum gets elected in 2016.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Actually planning to move there if Hillary or Santorum gets elected in 2016.
I would like to move there regardless of who wins. Assuming it really comes to pass. I've been thinking of what niche I could use to be successful there.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I would like to move there regardless of who wins. Assuming it really comes to pass. I've been thinking of what niche I could use to be successful there.
It would have to be a venture whose manpower requirements are consistent with the skill set of the surrounding Honduran population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies