Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
i couldn't agree more we don't let 14 year olds do a lot of things, including have sex, we don't let them drive, we don't let them skip schools, kids that age are impulsive and need to be protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Very true. How many would quit school because of a bad day? How many would feel it acceptable to stay out all night?
They simply don't have the experience nor the wisdom to make consistant decisions.

So you are fine, with the government, being the parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
I have to say i know a lot of conservatives that would say what she said that's why I say so much on here people are conservative and liberal for many different reasons. Where I live it's mostly because 1)abortion the most important thing because they're very pro-life, 2)to a way smaller degree they don't like gay marriage though there's many more for it than that are pro-choice. To me anyone that distinguishes rape like that is wrong, but i know a lot of Rep. politicians even that do it, not just Ryan "legitimate rape" but also Ryan and Santorum and Ron Paul's "forcible" rape, rape is rape period. And I know many conservatives and liberals who agree with me on that.

Lots of men are falsely accused of rape and many are convicted and sent to prison. The Innocence Project has show us the tip of the ice berg by using DNA evidence to exclude men serving time in prison for rapes they could not have possibly committed. When Ryan says "legitimate rape", I understand him to be referring to rape cases in which a rape actually took place. Forcible rape has always been treated as a more serious violation of the law than statutory rape or coerced sex not involving physical force, and while there may be some gray areas, sex with a minor is always rape in my book. The same applies to drugging a victim without their knowledge, but women who get high or drunk before having voluntary sex are no more or less victims of rape than the drunk or high men who have sex with them. It takes two to tango, and having a penis doesn't make one automatically guilty any more than having a vagina makes one innocent.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM

465 posts, read 507,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lots of men are falsely accused of rape and many are convicted and sent to prison. The Innocence Project has show us the tip of the ice berg by using DNA evidence to exclude men serving time in prison for rapes they could not have possibly committed. When Ryan says "legitimate rape", I understand him to be referring to rape cases in which a rape actually took place. Forcible rape has always been treated as a more serious violation of the law than statutory rape or coerced sex not involving physical force, and while there may be some gray areas, sex with a minor is always rape in my book. The same applies to drugging a victim without their knowledge, but women who get high or drunk before having voluntary sex are no more or less victims of rape than the drunk or high men who have sex with them. It takes two to tango, and having a penis doesn't make one automatically guilty any more than having a vagina makes one innocent.
It was Akin that said legitimate rape and he was talking about how women who were raped couldn't get pregnant i think his words were her system shuts down tbf most Republicans confronted it, Ryan was one of the ones that said forcible rape, i agree on the drugs and sex thing but i think even if they're both drunk if she says no at that moment it becomes rape even if it can't be proven by law, but if they both consented even if she regrets it later it's still not rape, because at the time she was consenting. And I agree with you about having a penis doesn't make you guilty, a lot of women have taken advantage of young boys wanting sex (which hello 14 year old boys) and talked them into murdering their husbands and such, I don't think there's punishment harsh enough. And thanks to the Innocence Project less people are in prison that are innocent, also DNA has proven a lot of suspects innocent since and helped the police move on. DNA is a good thing on both fronts you won't hear arguments from me. I'm glad when it catches guilty people and i'm glad when it sets innocents free.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Lots of men are falsely accused of rape and many are convicted and sent to prison.
I missed this part but I agree and I think the evidence should have to be strong, I don't think eye witness is enough. 1)it's been shown people in times of stress esp. are unreliable in what they think they witnessed 2)if you were hit on the head it can effect what you think happens, there was a case on forensic files a long time ago about a woman who thought her husband had raped her and tried to kill her it turned out to be as he told the story he went to Taco Bell (i'm pretty sure it was) and left the door unlocked in their very safe utopian neighborhood, a guy had came in while he was gone and beat her and raped her and left her for dead...she thought because of brain injury and confusion that it was her husband she still thinks to this day (last story i watched) that he did it and they arrested the wrong man even with all of the unbelievable evidence. 3) some women just like men are vindictive or mentally ill and just make it up because they don't like the person (there's documented cases) so i agree with you. 4)but in this case it was a 20 year old having sex with a 14 year old automatically rape period, just like if he'd given her a rape drug that would be rape

Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Uh; would you feel the same way if an 18 year old woman was having sex with her 17 year old boyfriend? That's still "rape" under the law in most of the US. I agree with the rest of what you said so I gave you a Rep.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; would you feel the same way if an 18 year old woman was having sex with her 17 year old boyfriend? That's still "rape" under the law in most of the US. I agree with the rest of what you said so I gave you a Rep.
actually i don't know of any state where it's not at least a 3 year difference so it would have to be an 18 year old girlfriend and a 15 year old boyfriend at the oldest for the girl for it to be statutory rape, some it's even 4-5 years older, and also a lot of states (i think all states should) allow for bf and gf that were going out before it would become rape in other words if she was 14 and he was 17 and just turned 18 they would take that into account...i looked at the link that showed all of the laws state by state that someone linked before and i read them and didn't see any that were less than 3 years but i could have missed one...

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Should this be allowed?

A Massachusetts man is seeking visitation rights to the child he fathered after raping a 14-year-old girl, setting the stage for a legal battle in the Bay State.

Read more: Rapist seeking visitation with child he fathered after attack on teen victim | Fox News
Hell NO...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
It's the law, and it's there for a reason. Before we had these laws, 14 year old girls were shipped off for being bad while the man got a badge of honor, and men thought it "funny" to have group sex (in their minds anyway) with handicapped kids sometimes force was used sometimes it wasn't we've grown since then
No, we've not grown, we've merely gone to the opposite crazy extreme in which people now make statements that underage sex is no different than forcible rape, and yet are still taken seriously.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Lower the age of consent to 13 and then we ain't gotta worry about all these stupid arguments.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Lower the age of consent to 13 and then we ain't gotta worry about all these stupid arguments.
or better yet the age of 5 and give them a stick and make them just defend themselves and the rapist gets extra points if the kid is handicapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies