Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,090,111 times

Advertisements

Just like we let the computers control the markets and our $$$, what could go wrong???

I think I'll keep my old truck's and cars and keep the phone disabled with the battery removed while driving....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,522,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If this could be perfected.....it would solve the problem about what to do with elderly drivers.

I think it would be wonderful.

The elderly would no longer lose their independence just because they can no longer drive.
Yeah, there would no longer need to be an age limit, five year olds could drive themselves to daycare. Then mom and dad are free to do more important stuff.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
great idea,another step closer to the all knowing corporate/state being able to determine the where, when and how we travel.
Right, and we won't be able to travel on roads that are not sensored for these cars. This is more enslavement and survellance.
They will say the people that don't want these vehicles are a danger and must not be allowed to drive themselves.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM

1,438 posts, read 773,432 times
This would kill the taxi industry and put an end to designated drivers right?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,570,682 times
I could see it working - eventually.

My car has sensors that detect other cars, pedestrians, animals, etc. It warns me about all of these things. It has sensors to detect if another vehicle is in front of me, and automatically adjusts my speed to keep a safe distance behind the lead vehicle. It can pinpoint where I am through GPS tracking to within about 10 feet (and yes, utilizes Google maps). It can perform very limited *assisted* evasive maneuvering to avoid collsions with certain objects. It does all of these things quite well.

However: One thing that happens every so often - not frequently, but it has happened - is it will send an auditory beep letting me know that something happened internally, and all of these features subsequently are turned off until I push a button to essentially reboot them. This is OK with me because I've never actually given up control of my vehicle and it puts me in a situation where I'm just converted to driving manually. What happens when a blind person has to take over the vehicle or an elderly person fell asleep while in transit or some couple thought it would be fun to get busy while going to the grocery store and that happens?

Nope, don't trust it for a driverless application yet.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Just like we let the computers control the markets and our $$$, what could go wrong???

I think I'll keep my old truck's and cars and keep the phone disabled with the battery removed while driving....
You are an enemy of progress, an enemy of the State, and must be sent to re-education camp, or exterminated.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM

635 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Right, and we won't be able to travel on roads that are not sensored for these cars. This is more enslavement and survellance.
They will say the people that don't want these vehicles are a danger and must not be allowed to drive themselves.
And yet you use the internet - the greatest tool for surveillance created by the government.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
And yet you use the internet - the greatest tool for surveillance created by the government.
Very true, I am aware, and use it with that in mind. I am probably on the blue list.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM

635 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Very true, I am aware, and use it with that in mind. I am probably on the blue list.
Yes, I'm sure the NSA keeps close tabs on you...

Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,090,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Yes, I'm sure the NSA keeps close tabs on you...
Hey me too, but how do they know Im really me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies