Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM
 
89 posts, read 149,768 times
Reputation: 84

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is my point exactly, what do you think gives you the right to say this to me after reading a post where I stated I believe in God?
.
The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
 
35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
Reputation: 62669
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove28 View Post
The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

That gives you the right to tell me that you do not agree with what I believe however, it does NOT give you the right to specifically tell ME what I believe is false and it does not give me the right to tell you what you believe is false even if I disagree.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,419 posts, read 20,347,041 times
Reputation: 8958
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Meaning what? I went to a catholic school as a child, I guess now that I'm an adult and can think on my own I'm a catholic according to your logic. "Something to the effect"? according to who hannity?
The statement is in "Dreams From my Father" (Obama's book). I didn't have the quote handy, so I paraphrased, but that is close.

I rarely listen to Hannity (proper names are capitalized). I can't even recall the last time I heard his show, but if he has mentioned this statement he would have quoted it accurately. You libs are quick to write off conservatives, but we use and have access to the same information that you do. A quote is a quote. Just because it comes from a conservative doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

My "logic" is that Obama does not show any outward signs of having had a conversion experience (to Christianity), and he attended a church that was anything but Christian (Christian in name only).

His statement regarding "standing with the Muslims" is telling, ergo my view that he is more Muslim than Christian. I, as a Christian, would not slip and say, "...my Muslim faith" either, for which his interviewer had to correct him two times before he "got it." I am a Christian. I know who I am. There is no way I could slip and say, "my Muslim faith."

If your Catholic schooling meant nothing to you, that's between you and God. As for me, my Christianity does mean something to me, and it does influence my view of the world, and how I understand it.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Reputation: 24863
The 1st Amendment gives both or you the right to express your opinion to each other but not the right to use force to change the other's mind.

I would prefer a Christian in the White House instead of a worshipper in the Devine Church of Mammon on Earth.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,419 posts, read 20,347,041 times
Reputation: 8958
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I'm not mormon, but, when was the last time you heard of a mormon mass murderer? Or a mormon serial rapist? From what I have seen they are basically good people that are an asset to the community. Do they have some strange beliefs? Perhaps they do, but are any of their beliefs harming you? Can you say the same for radical muslims? I don't understand all the concern about Romneys religious beliefs. At least he didn't sit in a sermon where a preacher screamed GD America at the top of his lungs.
So true.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
 
Location: West Egg
2,160 posts, read 1,959,109 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You would be cool with the most powerful man in the world believing that some angel named MORONi gave some some named Joseph Smith some divine revelation? lmao
Right.

Because those Mormon fairy-tales are ridiculous! But the fairy-tales of other religions aren't...
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,138 posts, read 22,848,652 times
Reputation: 14116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...
Yes it would be better... but Mormons believe in compliance to the rule of law too, and what they believe is no less kooky than what any other Christian believes. (A carpenter in Roman Judea 2000 years ago died for all of our sins and is god? Seriously?)
Unfortunately elections are popularity contests, not judgements of the actual skill or capabilites of the candidate.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
 
32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Reputation: 32581
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

My "logic" is that Obama does not show any outward signs of having had a conversion experience (to Christianity),
Please tell us what those outward signs are supposed to be.

Seriously. Is there something he should be doing to show you he's a Christian? Saying "I am a Christian" isn't good enough. So... what? What are those outward signs? Christ told us that to be a Christian you must accept Him as your savior and profess your faith. The President has done both.

(I'm suspecting people who doubt his Christianity won't be happy until he glows in the dark and hangs a copy of The Last Supper in the State Dining Room.)
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
 
Location: San Diego
990 posts, read 940,907 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...
Well duh.
An Atheist president would be better than any president who believes in magical fairy tales and imaginary friends...those cultists have a limited grasp on reality and it would be nice to have someone grounded in logic and reality for once. Pete Stark is the only outed Atheist in congress though, and I don't believe there are any governors who are.

Hopefully one day this country will come to its senses and realize the idiocy of religion and the silly notion of a magic god that influences and guides everyone. Hindus, Shintos, Mormons, Buddhists, Sikhs, Evangelicals, Catholics, Muslims, people who practice Santeria or Voodoo, Jews, etc. all have their own version of religion with very different ideas of god and what god's purpose is, so wouldn't the conclusion be that they are all BS? Or are you so arrogant that you think your silly cult is somehow right while all the others are wrong?
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Del Rio, TN
39,897 posts, read 26,578,589 times
Reputation: 25792
The religious bigotry of Obama supporters is pretty telling. So much for tolerance, acceptance and "celebrating diversity". Between the frequent anti-semetic posts and the constant attacks on members of the LDS faith, the level of hate is pretty telling. The "Lefty Taliban" is alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top