Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Either believe what you want to believe. .regardless of evidence, or read the link.
You have a link from the Princeton University Wisconsin migration study? Good. Post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You have a link from the Princeton University Wisconsin migration study? Good. Post it.
No you post the hendersons rally poll on fast eating

Dude - the discussion was flight and taxes and the impact. Guess what, i posted the link to the NPR planet money that featured two studies and over 8 years. . .

Multiple states (not just one).

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
THE TAX SYSTEM EXPLAINED IN BEER
I know how you folks are tied to analogies, but let's try for a change an analogy that actually is reflective of how a society works.

We have a tribe of hunter gathers numbering 30 individuals.

There are 15 males and 15 females.

5 of the males are in their prime, 5 are old or infirmed, 5 are children. The females have they same distribution.

Of the 5 males in their prime, 3 are great hunters and warriors, 1 is a lousy hunter and 1 isn't good for much good for anything other than other than making babies. The 5 women do all of the gathering for the tribe.

Due to a drought the women have nothing to gather and the tribe is totally dependent upon the 3 hunters to gather obtain food for the tribe.

On a hunting trip, i hunter kills 10 animals, a second kills 3 and another kills 2 enough to feed the tribe for a week.

Is it your argument that it is unfair for the most successful hunter to contribute more to the tribe than the others?

Should the 5 old and infirmed not be cared for?

The women and children should go without?

And keep on thing in mind, even as great as the greatest hunter is he is defenseless against large predators without the others in the tribe contributing to the mutual defense when necessary?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM

20,720 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You raise the same argument of those who are against farm and corporate subsidies, etc. I say, fine. End the subsidies. Who do you think higher prices on food and goods will hurt the most?

That is the same population segment that benefits the most from the farm and corporate subsidies.
Oh heck yes that should be ended. I am a forager myself because quite frankly wild food is just that much better. One person who was poor became a pioneer in making use of the available resources and learned how to make do with such things. His name was Euell Gibbons. Today's food stamp society would never produce such a person. Poor people don't pick fruit. I pick apples near a PADS shelter for the homeless in probably one of the most ridiculous set of circumstances ever to have existed in the history of humanity. They don't pick them at all. They turn their noses . They even cut some branches this year because the fruit was making the walk dirty. What sort of insane society do I live in? The welfare entitlement state is destructive on all levels.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
The richest guys pay $7 out of a $10 bill, but write it off as a business expense, get reimbursed $50 courtesy of tax payers, and complain that they had to pay most of the bill.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Why is everyone overlooking the fact that the poorest 4 are actually GETTING PAID in our system to drink their beer? (All they pay for is their pretzels and peanuts --S.S. & Medicare--assuming that they work at all!)

Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
No
That's what I thought.

Wisconsin's all out welfare giveaway is a parasite magnet and higher income earners are leaving the state because they're tired of supporting the ever-growing leech class. So says Princeton University's report on factors affecting state migration.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Oh heck yes that should be ended. I am a forager myself because quite frankly wild food is just that much better. One person who was poor became a pioneer in making use of the available resources and learned how to make do with such things. His name was Euell Gibbons. Today's food stamp society would never produce such a person. Poor people don't pick fruit. I pick apples near a PADS shelter for the homeless in probably one of the most ridiculous set of circumstances ever to have existed in the history of humanity. They don't pick them at all. They turn their noses . They even cut some branches this year because the fruit was making the walk dirty. What sort of insane society do I live in? The welfare entitlement state is destructive on all levels.
I'm all for ending subsidies. I just want liberals to understand exactly who would be hurt the most by doing so.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Why is everyone overlooking the fact that the poorest 4 are actually GETTING PAID in our system to drink their beer?
Because liberals are either ignorant or dishonest.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
In reality the 10th guy pays a substantially lower rate then the 9th guy because the 9th guy is paying payroll and ordinary income rates and the 10th guy is paying LTCG and dividend rates.
So you want to lower the tax rate on earned income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies