Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
~WHether or not we are christian at the roots has nothing to do with the founding of our rather secular government and the fact that our society nowadays is secular.

Obama stated nothing wrong in his statement, as he says basically we should condem anyone who disrespects religion like that one youtube video does.
Our beliefs & core values are Christian.

Many non Christians can't get over that fact & want to attempt to ban some traditions that made us great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

The bible is clear as black & white.

You are looking for grey areas which are not there.
So you do you also follow things like

"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee" (Leviticus 19:19).

"Stone disobedient children" (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5)

Leviticus 11:7–8 (ESV)
7 And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. 8 You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.

Leviticus 19:27 states:
Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 states:
When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets

Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM

679 posts, read 614,732 times
Quote:

hahahahah, if the Bible was as clear as black & white then why are there so many arguments over its meaning? Your interpretation may be black and white to you, but other people see things differently.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:

Many non Christians can't get over that fact & want to attempt to ban some traditions that made us great.
What traditions are being banned that make us great?

There is no national religion. Period.

We were not founded as a Christian nation. Period.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:

The Taliban say the same thing of the Q'ran.

The Bible is full of contradictions. It's widely open to interpretation. It's also been translated countless times, each translation containing variances. Now, if you read ancient Greek, Latin, Hebrew, and Aramaic, and are familiar with the history and cultures of the various people contemporaneous with Jesus Christ, and it's those ancient texts you rely on, well, that's different. But I don't think you actually have that kind of expertise.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Our beliefs and core values can be attributed to many cultures, not just Christian.

Christianity does not have a monopoly on morality.

Quote:
Such as?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,468 times
Have you fallen off ur meds?

Apocalypse Now: Brando as Kurtz" you're an Errand boy for grocery store clerks! - YouTube

Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM

Default what we have here is failure to communicate

cool hand luke - YouTube

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I'm tired of hearing about how I have to have respect for Islam. I don't. I don't have to have and respect for any religion and I don't. That is the dumbest thing anyone ever came up with. I think you should always have respect for other people and accept that others maybe live differently than you do and according to their religion. I can't have respect for something I think is bad and I have no use for. I can only respect other peoples choices, but that is quite different. I think one of the most respectful things I do is advise religious friends not to get into a religious discussion with me because they matter to me and I don't want to alienate them. If people would keep their religion to themselves none of this would be a problem.
It's not just that progressives want you to be "tolerant" and "open-minded", they also want to prevent you from labeling something as "bad" or "good". They seek to destroy traditional Christian values through cultural relativism. This politically correct atmosphere they have created puts people under fire for calling a culture that doesn't respect women's rights "bad", meanwhile these same "open-minded" progressives will call "conservatives" evil, hateful, and Nazis for choosing life instead of death by vacuum.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM

On the subject of vacuous... Oh, never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies