Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
There's probably dozens of thousands of such individuals who fit that description ("hard worker" that's a "jack of all trades") within Los Angeles County, and many of them are brown, black, and/or yellow. I know you weren't trying to imply this, but it just isn't limited to white guys that live out in the sticks. Not everyone in a big city is a layabout ghetto hoodrat or a whine-and-cheese hipster liberal with black plastic glasses and $300 shoes.
I never meant to imply that. Just as many do not want to imply that all rednecks are stupid, white, narrow minded, self-righteous, religious individuals.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
America is really dichotomous. It seems to be more so than other countries. There are ultra-liberal urban areas where people feel the need to flout all traditions and conventions. There are rural areas where "doom and gloom" mega-churches reign supreme and coexist with the still existing Ku Klux Klan.

The rest of the modern world doesn't look at us too favorably about where we stand culturally. In some ways, I feel embarrassed about some aspects of Americana ... particularly some of the unenlightened, backward ways that people are still clinging to in 2012.

Please comment. Also, while I know the etymology of the word "redneck" (basically a farmer's tan), I don't know the etymology of the word "hick" and any contribution regarding this would be appreciated.

Is America still largely a "hick" and "redneck" country?
Here, let me show you how stupid this post is...but you knew that, didn't you?

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIswhere...

You know you're Italian when...

You can bench press 325 pounds, shave twice a day and still cry when your mother yells at you.
You carry your lunch in a produce bag because you can't fit two cappicola sandwiches, 4 oranges, 2 bananas and pizzelles into a regular lunch bag.
Your mechanic, plumber, electrician, accountant, travel agent and lawyer are all your cousins
You have at least 5 cousins living in the same town or street. All five of those cousins are named after your grandfather or grandmother.
You are on a first name basis with at least 8 banquet hall owners.
You only get one good shave from a disposable razor.
If someone in your family grows beyond 5'9", it is presumed his Mother had an affair.
There are more than 28 people in your bridal party.
You netted more than $50,000 on your first communion.
And you REALLY, REALLY know you're Italian when:
Your grandfather had a fig tree.
You eat Sunday dinner at 2:00.
Christmas Eve . . . only fish.
Your mom's meatballs are the best.
You've been hit with a wooden spoon or had a shoe thrown at you.
Plastic on the furniture is normal.
You know how to pronounce "manicotti" and "mozzarella."
You fight over whether it's called "sauce" or "gravy."
You've called someone a "mamaluke."
And you understand "bada bing"

Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
The rest of the modern world doesn't look at us too favorably about where we stand culturally. In some ways, I feel embarrassed about some aspects of Americana ... particularly some of the unenlightened, backward ways that people are still clinging to in 2012
I would also like for you to elaborate on this.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Here, let me show you how stupid this post is...but you knew that, didn't you?

You know you're Italian when...

You can bench press 325 pounds, shave twice a day and still cry when your mother yells at you.
You carry your lunch in a produce bag because you can't fit two cappicola sandwiches, 4 oranges, 2 bananas and pizzelles into a regular lunch bag.
Your mechanic, plumber, electrician, accountant, travel agent and lawyer are all your cousins
You have at least 5 cousins living in the same town or street. All five of those cousins are named after your grandfather or grandmother.
You are on a first name basis with at least 8 banquet hall owners.
You only get one good shave from a disposable razor.
If someone in your family grows beyond 5'9", it is presumed his Mother had an affair.
There are more than 28 people in your bridal party.
You netted more than $50,000 on your first communion.
And you REALLY, REALLY know you're Italian when:
• Your grandfather had a fig tree.
You eat Sunday dinner at 2:00.
Christmas Eve . . . only fish.
Your mom's meatballs are the best.
•You've been hit with a wooden spoon or had a shoe thrown at you.
Plastic on the furniture is normal.
• You know how to pronounce "manicotti" and "mozzarella."
You fight over whether it's called "sauce" or "gravy."
You've called someone a "mamaluke."
And you understand "bada bing"
This is really funny. It did exist. It doesn't exist anymore, either. It's 60s or 70s Jersey, or Melrose Park (near you) diner schlock. It's working class Italian-American only, to boot. But what a great read. Are you creative enough to make these up, or you found it on the web.

Only three apply:
My Dad had 2 fig trees.
I used to break the wooden spoons in half if ever used on me.
No problem. I speak the whole language.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I would also like for you to elaborate on this.
Churches on every corner with 100 denominations squabbling over territoriality
Ridiculously puritanical views
Tightly constructed gender roles (gender-distinct leg crossing, gender-distinct writing)
The Ku Klux Klan
The rabid gun culture
Many people with no interest in anything but America (no knowledge of other places, and happy with that)

Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM

708 posts, read 878,800 times
Quote:
Churches on every corner with 100 denominations squabbling over territoriality
Ridiculously puritanical views
Tightly constructed gender roles (gender-distinct leg crossing, gender-distinct writing)
The Ku Klux Klan
The rabid gun culture
Many people with no interest in anything but America (no knowledge of other places, and happy with that)
Well we can't deny the KKK exists, but I'd say that is an incredibly small part of America.

I don't know what you mean by churches on every corner squabbling.

Some people might have puritanical views, I suppose, whether they are city dwellers or those from more urban areas.

What does gender distinct writing mean?

I'd say there are a small percentage of Americans that might engage in a rabid gun culture. Outside of that I do know some that own guns, and hunt. I wouldn't consider them part of a rabid gun culture. All the people that I know that hunt, eat what they catch. Unless you are a vegetarain, I really don't get think you'd have a right to criticize them.

I live in a college town, in what some might consider a rural state. We have people that come from all over the world to study here.....so I haven't met any people who have no interest in other cultures. Certainly there are many who might feel they don't have the means to travel, or there are other things they'd rather spend their money on.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM

708 posts, read 878,800 times
Quote:
...."doom and gloom" mega-churches reign supreme and coexist with the still existing Ku Klux Klan.

The rest of the modern world doesn't look at us too favorably about where we stand culturally. In some ways, I feel embarrassed about some aspects of Americana ... particularly some of the unenlightened, backward ways that people are still clinging to in 2012.

Is America still largely a "hick" and "redneck" country?
I'm not sure I understand your comment about the rest of the modern world......are they responding to a stereotype? Are you responding to a stereotype? Have you ever traveled to more rural areas? I'm assuming that since you've thrown out the stereotypes, you are talking about rural areas? Even the most populous states have rural areas, as do other countries in the so called modern world?

All cultures have good and bad aspects, including whatever you are describing as Americana.

The rural areas I'm familiar with don't have any mega churches...that sort of contradicts your later comment of a church on every corner.

If you are associating "hick" with being rural, have you looked up population statistics to see how many people live in rural areas vs. cities. Have you looked up information about the states where the KKK might be active to see what percentage of the US they represent. It is a fairly small fraction. If others in "modern countries" can't see beyond that stereotype, why worry.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Well, the original post and several of the responses epitomize the word "shallow" and "ignorant."

"Rednecks" and "hicks" to refer to rural living. How nice. That's like equating anyone who lives in a city as an urban gang member.

I live in Texas - rural Texas. Town of about 90,000 called San Angelo. It's 1 1/2 hours from Abilene, 4 1/2 hours from Dallas, 3 1/2 hours from San Antonio. So, I'd say it's fairly rural.

I'd agree that most people here in Texas (outside the big Metropolis' - Dallas, Austin, El Paso, etc.) are conservatives. Many (most?) go to church.

I do not go to church (nor even consider myself religious). I do not consider myself uneducated (I have a BS). I don't consider myself American-bound (I've been to almost 30 countries and lived in 4 outside the U.S.). But, I love the rural living and the "redneck" nature of those around me.

Why?

Those "rednecks" and "hicks" own farms and provide food and cotton. Those "rednecks" and "hicks" watch over each other's properties instead of turning their backs on crime. Those "rednecks" and "hicks" look out for their neighbors and provide for them in times of need (deaths, births, housing issues, fires, etc.). Those "rednecks" and "hicks" say "hi" (okay, maybe "howdy") when passing others instead of ignoring that they exist. Those "rednecks" and "hicks" provide more charity than others.

The question that should be asked is how embarassed is America at it's nation of dividing blood (taxmoney)-sucking urban elitist liberals? All liberals are good for is dividing this country into demographic portions (based on sex, race, ethnicity, size, age, sexual orientation, financial standing, etc., etc., etc.) and finding a way to spend tax dollars on that. They worry only about themselves, they contribute to crime more than help against it. They tear down the moral fabric that took 200 years to build up (and in only a 10th of the time it took to build it up).

Did that get your blood pumping? Make you angry to hear it? Why!?!?

Maybe because it's not true as an absolute. There are pockets of AMERICANS all over that are rednecks, and hicks, and conservatives, and liberals, and law abiding, and responsible. To make as sophomoric a statement as the original poster did is more embarassing than the question asked.

And if the OP is one of those liberals who doesn't want conservatives because we're embarassing... imagine how we podunk, illiterate, bible-thumping, one-toothed folk think of him/her. I'll take podunk any day over someone who's opinion is like that.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Oh... and in those countries I have lived in and visited, they dislike the urban socialite elitist far worse than the "redneck" or "hick" because even if they live in big cities, they still have to work (manual labor mostly) to get buy. So, they can associate with the "redneck" who works hard and doesn't have much over those that 1) sit around doing nothing but taking government money; or, 2) drive their fancy expensive cars around their urban/suburban neighborhoods praying to their money gods and trying to influence other countries by throwing money around. They hate that almost more than the religious difference between them and Christians.

Chew on that for a while.

But the thing they hate more than any of that, is people that look down on them or their country because "America is better" or that expect them to adopt "American" ideals and principles. They don't mind you visiting or even living their, but respect them they way we want them to respect America when they are here.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Oh... and in those countries I have lived in and visited, they dislike the urban socialite elitist far worse than the "redneck" or "hick" because even if they live in big cities, they still have to work (manual labor mostly) to get buy. So, they can associate with the "redneck" who works hard and doesn't have much over those that 1) sit around doing nothing but taking government money; or, 2) drive their fancy expensive cars around their urban/suburban neighborhoods praying to their money gods and trying to influence other countries by throwing money around. They hate that almost more than the religious difference between them and Christians.

Chew on that for a while.

But the thing they hate more than any of that, is people that look down on them or their country because "America is better" or that expect them to adopt "American" ideals and principles. They don't mind you visiting or even living their, but respect them they way we want them to respect America when they are here.
He isn't really interested in any of this Rathagos, believe me...he was bored yesterday afternoon after reading a thread about why the c-d forums seem to be obsessed with race and he decided to stir up the pot on the other end of the spectrum. He refers to the other end of that entity as rednecks and hicks, however,what he really means (because after all, he is an educated gentleman himself) is southern (or rural) gentlemen and ladies.

Apparently in his mind's eye he has visions of Li'l Abner in Dogpatch. U.S.A. Oh, and let us not forget about the Dukes of Hazzard and all of their ne'er-do-wells...oh and what about that poor mountaineer Jed Clampett and his clan from the Beverly Hillbillies. I suppose the only scenario which is missing would be the KKK....maybe Robert will enlighten us about that since I myself personally do not have any recollection in real life or in any drama series from television

What say you Robert?

Welcome to Dogpatch

The Dukes of Hazzard (TV Series 1979–1985) - IMDb

The Beverly Hillbillies (TV Series 1962–1971) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies