Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
He isn't really interested in any of this Rathagos, believe me...he was bored yesterday afternoon after reading a thread about why the c-d forums seem to be obsessed with race and he decided to stir up the pot on the other end of the spectrum. He refers to the other end of that entity as rednecks and hicks, however,what he really means (because after all, he is an educated gentleman himself) is southern (or rural) gentlemen and ladies.
The opposite side of the country, diagonally from the South, is replete with its own brand of hicks ... in the Pacific Northwest and in the Intermountain West. So is the very center of the US ... think Westboro Baptist Church.

I don't think of "hick" or "redneck" as a location. I think of it as an attitude. And, yes, there are educated hicks.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
I reckon the California desert has meaner redneck sh**kickers than anywhere in the South save for the deepest darkest hollers of Appalachia. The South doesn't corner the market on that.

I stick to my original assertion. There's the cool rednecks who work hard and'll watch your back, and then there's the other kind. I almost wish we could start over with new terms so that we could better separate the sheep from the goats.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
America is really dichotomous. It seems to be more so than other countries.
Is that really surprising to you? Most other countries are a fraction of the size and population of the US, even though usually far more densely populated. Many European countries aren't any larger than many US states.

It's 3,300 miles from Seattle to Miami, about the same distance from Belfast to Damascus, 13 very different countries. Do you expect a Libyan to be the same as a German to be the same as a Scot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Churches on every corner with 100 denominations squabbling over territoriality
Ridiculously puritanical views
Tightly constructed gender roles (gender-distinct leg crossing, gender-distinct writing)
The Ku Klux Klan
The rabid gun culture
Many people with no interest in anything but America (no knowledge of other places, and happy with that)
Have you ever actually been out of a city or do you get all of your views from MSNBC? "Rabid gun culture"? You're letting your bias show.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
From the Online Etymological Dictionary:

"hick (n.) Look up hick at Dictionary.com
late 14c. as a pet form of masc. proper name Richard. Meaning "awkward provincial person" was established by 1700 (cf. rube); earlier it was the characteristic name of a hosteler, hackneyman, etc. (late 14c.), perhaps via alliteration. The adjective is recorded by 1914.

A hick town is one where there is no place to go where you shouldn't be. [attributed to U.S. humorist Robert Quillen (1887-1948)]"

Reference: Online Etymology Dictionary

Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
From the Online Etymological Dictionary:

"hick (n.) Look up hick at Dictionary.com
late 14c. as a pet form of masc. proper name Richard. Meaning "awkward provincial person" was established by 1700 (cf. rube); earlier it was the characteristic name of a hosteler, hackneyman, etc. (late 14c.), perhaps via alliteration. The adjective is recorded by 1914.

A hick town is one where there is no place to go where you shouldn't be. [attributed to U.S. humorist Robert Quillen (1887-1948)]"

Reference: Online Etymology Dictionary
Thank you, tvdxer.

One of the funniest things is that we've all seen mailing addresses on infomercials in Hicksville, NY, smack in the middle of the populous part of NYC's Long Island suburbs.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,158 times
"Hick", nickname of Richard. Meaning "awkward provincial person" is first recorded 1565 (cf. rube). The adj. is first recorded 1920, in Sinclair Lewis' "Main Street": "He graduated from a hick college in Pennsylvania."

Broad brush stereotypes are not a sigh of sophisticaton any more than racism is. Perhaps the well educated city folk will come to lean humility when it becomes a iPhone app.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
See, to me, there's two sorts of hicks/rednecks.

The cool kind: "hell, why don'tcha grab yerself a beer an' shoot the s*** fer a while?"

The not-so-cool kind: "you come tryin' that s*** round here, ain't nobody gonna find you."

The first kind might be provincial and ignorant (not the same thing as stupid!) when it comes to certain things, but they're basically good folks with good hearts who mean no harm when it comes down to it, and tend towards your basic "live and let live" attitude. The second kind, on the other hand, are mean, crazy, and stupid.

I live in Italy and they have their fair share of mean, crazy, and stupid people. Believe me, they do. Even at the highest political levels. We're talking outright fascists who make the Tea Party look like Eisenhower Republicans from Connecticut. However, in the grand scheme of things, aside from macro-financial antics, the damage from what people do in Italy is limited to Italy. The United States is the elephant in everybody's living room, and if too many mean, crazy, and stupid people start tugging on that elephant's reins and goading it with pointy sticks... watch out world.
I know a lot of the first catagory, and if you need help, they are the first to offer. One of the neighbors was short on food, and unasked, he got leftovers.

Then there was the good christan who wanted all the other proper christans to rise up and put things right for the proper christans. I assume the improper ones would be losers.

And thats a good comparison. With our diversity, and fringes we can't be predicted. And there is enough big stickism that push hard enough...

Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I say the real problem is in inner city areas with the live wild and die young attitude.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I say the real problem is in inner city areas with the live wild and die young attitude.
The white incarceration rate has been steadily climbing in recent years. If it keeps climbing at this rate, it'll one day become comparable to the black/Hispanic rate. Why? Meth. Meth is to poor whites in the 2000s what crack was to poor blacks in the 1980s. The impact of crack can hardly be overstated. Gun violence in the 'hood was actually fairly rare prior to the onset of crack. (Guns were also a whole lot easier to get back then. No background checks, no waiting period....) Talk to any old timer who was a gangbanger back in the 60s and 70s and they'll tell you how drastically things changed.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Directed towards the Op..

‘The term ‘red neck” “back wood hick” “ good ol boy”
Derives from the past but also reflects the present.
Convicted in their beliefs ( Rebel, southern and white is right) is the typical view in other countries.
Basically stating that facts can be laid on their dinner table but they refute all facts and stats and choose the “white is right theory”
They are deep into the church yet follow very little as to what the true meaning of what true scripture is.
Very linear and singular in their thinking equally meaning a very closed mind and a very narrow scope of reality. Very prone to propaganda..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies