Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
And I'll explain why this whole arguement is just political theater.

At 14%, Romney paid a higher tax RATE than 97% of other Americans:

Even at 14%, Romney Pays a Higher Rate than 97% of His Fellow Americans | Tax Foundation

If people are outraged by this, they are either in the 3% that paid more (not likely) or they don't understand their own tax rate at all (very likely).

ETA: And for your greedy arguement, people who are good with money generally don't like to hand over to be wasted. He gave $4 million dollars to charity in 2011, out of a $12 million dollar salary. Hardly greedy. I'm sure a good portion of that went to the Mormon church, but my church does some amazing things for needy people. We run multiple homeless programs, give 60,000 pounds of food to our local food bank, etc. etc.
My husband and I have worked hard and been successful. We don't pay more taxes than necessary per the tax code, it's insane to throw good money after bad. We happily give directly to our local schools, quaility charities, etc. And we have more money to give to those programs b/c we do save on our taxes.

Exactly. most who scream he only paid 14% pay less themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't agree with everything the OP says here, but the reactions are interesting. You conservatives are so determined to twist and hate everything that Democrats say that you won't listen to a straightforward explanation.

I'll try another one: lots of people don't think it's fair that someone who works for their money pays a higher tax rate on that paycheck, plus Social Security, Medicare, and miscellaneous state and local taxes than someone whose income comes from capital gains or other paper or market-based gains.

You don't have to like it, and I'm sure you're going to whine and cry about how hard someone "works" for their capital gains income, but it doesn't look the samem to someone who builds cars or waits on tables all day or stands up in front of a classroom of kids teaching.

Problem with that theory is they dont pay a higher tax rate.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So you think that because he has more than you think he needs to live on, he should be denied the opportunity and right to hire whomever he wants, to legally pay as little in taxes as he can? Do I have that about right?

You say nobody should tell someone how much they need to live on, then proceed to do just that. Have you EVER demanded that Obama do that? Because he makes more than most people live on. Should he just write a check for 35% and be done with it? Should he be denied the right to do his taxes to his advantage? If so, why aren't you calling him out on that?

Yea, I think we all know the reason for that.....
I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken advantage of the tax code, what I'm trying to do is tell you how it looks to alot of people in the middle class and the poor.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You know this how? Are you making accusations with no proof, just because you love Obama?
Proof?
Do you think it is ok for the right wing to accuse Obama of things that aren't true? The forum is full of these worthless threads.

I raised the question as to willard's honesty.

He submitted some, not all of his tax returns, and gullible people accept that?

I think he has something to hide, why else would he just release some, not all.

The Obama's released all of theirs, what's good for goose should be good for the gander, unless the RW has a double standard, which I also think does as well.

And to the C-D user protesting my post and telling me about US Gov't. giving saudi's and other countries aid, that's been going on forever, and you're just now whining about it because you think Obama owns that too? Gimme a break!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
If Romney's failure to pay "35 percent and be done with it"..then Warren Buffett should really drive you over the wall. Here is a guy that tells the government to raise taxes on other people, but his company has been fighting paying back taxes for 6 years. Additionally, why are you so willing to make Romney "do the right thing" but don't require that from people that pay no federal income tax but receive the Earned Income Credit (welfare check)?

Have you considered how much wealth, jobs, companies Romney created vs the people that receive the EITC? Which person is doing more for society?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
I don't care what people do with their own money. I'm more concerned with what the government is doing with the money they are taking form folks..........OUR MONEY.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
What people do not understand is capital can easily move if taxed too heavily. There are solid macroeconmic reason for low taxes on capital investments. Labor can not so easily move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies