Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

What if we closed all of our foreign soil bases and brought all of our troops home? If we slashed our military budget in half and used the saving to pay down the deficit and rebuild our infrastructure at home?

What would the short term and long term ramifications be?

Would the rich countries like Germany, France, Great Britain rebuild their militaries and police their part of the world?

How would China treat their neighbors if not for the US to counter them?

Could we exist in this world being isolationist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Maybe it's time we found out.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
By "isolation," do you also mean cutting off trade? If so, that would be disastrous.

Something else to consider - cutting the military budget in half could potentially be counterproductive and cause more military spending to be necessary eventually. I'm all for cutting military spending - but not in half.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
By "isolation," do you also mean cutting off trade?
I guess not. In fact no-we still sell our agricultural products and manufactured goods ect.

Let's just say we become a Canada with a bigger population but with a really dangerous defensive capability so invasion should not be a concern.

Even if we spend half on our military we do now we would by far still have the most powerful military.

But if we deal with all countries on an equal basis.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What if we closed all of our foreign soil bases and brought all of our troops home? If we slashed our military budget in half and used the saving to pay down the deficit and rebuild our infrastructure at home?

Would the rich countries like Germany, France, Great Britain rebuild their militaries and police their part of the world?

Sure, we could exist shorter-term: We would probably lose many allies and even gain some enemies. We would run the risk of a Chinese hegemony. We would lose influence on many fronts, including NATO and the UN. We would lose trading partners and a lot of money from exports. I would guess prices would rise, as cheap imports would dry up.
Longer-term: Have you ever been to North Korea?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM

I think we can all agree that Israel would cease to exist or they would wipe out many of the Arab governments (I don't know how much power they have).

Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
There is a difference between being Isolationist and learning to mind our own business. We don't need to involve ourselves in every brush fire that pops up. I think it is past due that we look within and start to mend our own fences.
Why do we need 11 carrier battle groups?
Why do we need to involve ourselves in Libya and Syria?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
IMO, we should be like Switzerland - neutral in world conflicts, minds their own business, and citizens armed to the teeth so they don't need to spend a ton on a standing army. The country as a result is incredibly prosperous, has a very low crime rate and a high quality of life index. This is called a non-interventionist foreign policy. If they didn't have a tough immigration policy, I would move to there in a heartbeat.

Isolationism implies being like North Korea by sealing off their borders and shoving their head up their own asses. No one wants that.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

OK, I'll pull your finger, but please don't fart, I've seen that one before.
Now, WHAT IF?
Oh just imagine what America would do with all that money we'd be saving!
why heck, we could pay off the national debt, and more!

Long term ramifications? are you kidding? we'd be a stronger nation, economically and defense wise.
we could build up our assault arms so much, nobody, not even china would mess with us, or texas!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We can reduce out military forces and foreign interventions by 80% and still maintain trade with the world. We want their stuff and they want ours so trade would continue. I would expect other trading nations would take over suppressing piracy in various places.

The biggest change I can see is major regional conflicts as the Arabs tried to eliminate Israel and the Persians overran the blasphemous Saudi’s. India might want to reduce the threat from East and West Pakistan. Those are none of our business anyway. Our only concern would be protecting our population from radioactive fallout.

The trade with Asia, except for countervailing tariffs, would remain about the same. So would our oil imports from South America.

The great benefit would be having the money to rebuild our country in a manner that would free us from oil dependence and adverse trade with the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies