Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Looks like Obama has another loser notch on his belt. The Chevy Volt the overpriced car that is a failure.

Actually, it's the American taxpayers who are the losers. We bailed out Obama's buddies at GM and are subsidizing everything that even pretends to be "green".

But no, I would not buy a Volt at any price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
Quote:
Looks like Obama has another loser notch on his belt. The Chevy Volt the overpriced car that is a failure.

‘Record’ Volt Sales?Â* Not Really -- GM Counts $159 Leases for an $89,000 Car | NewsBusters.org
Yeah, Obama is the one who made and marketed the Chevy Volt

And yeah, I plan on test driving the Volt, the Leaf and the Tesla S when I am in the market for a new car next June. I live in a house with solar power, so my costs of energy would be essentially nil. The monthly savings for me in getting a Volt or Leaf would be $300, which added to the $150 in monthly energy savings due to my solar panels will save me ~$5,400 a year.

Why do you people want clean and renewable energy to fail? What about getting off of Arab oil is so horrifying to you people? Why would you want an AMERICAN car to fail? Why are you so unpatriotic?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
For $159 why not lease one? That's a heck of a bargain.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
If you want to know why this country is struggling to progress, just look at these geniuses and their brilliant responses to this story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
These cars are only for rich people---you know the ones Obama is not suppose to be helping.

Only they can afford a car that is so unreliable just to show people they have one. If it doesn't run they can always get another car out of their garage and drive it. Mostly Hollywood types. Jay Leno would own one.
It's very much a middle-class car. 40k is not a rich person car. Most rich people I know wouldn't be caught dead in a 40k car. Hence the plethora of BMWs and Mercedes in my line of work. Only a handful of people I know in my industry drive Volts and Leafs.

"Mostly Hollywood types"...seriously, where do you people come up with this nonsense? Hollywood types drive Bentleys and Ferraris and other head-turning cars that get them attention. The people who drive Volts, Leafs and Priuses are the Whole Foods shopping liberals who think that by buying an electric car they are "saving the planet".

Jay Leno owns a tank with something like 1300 horsepower so he's probably not all that concerned about being a gas guzzler.

Let me guess, you've never once actually been to Hollywood...

Quote:
Obama and his green energy agenda pushing it like there is no oil here.. Obama and his electric cars, solar panels and next it will be an algae car.
Obama does everything! It's all Obama. George W Bush didn't sign the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act in 2008, it was Obama! Oh wait, it was Bush who signed that act which paved the way for the Volt to come to market.

And Solar panels are amazing. I save $150 a month with mine. My father saved $1,800 a month with his (his house was 6,000 square feet with a pool). So while you'll be paying upwards of $2,000 a year to power your home, I'm powering my home for free.

And how are we oil independent exactly? Why is it that we import billions of dollars worth of oil from Arab nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
No, way. The idea of a car like this is good, but I think they jumped the gun on it. But, it is so not practical. They needed more research and time to work out it's kinks...or I should say, nooses.
The only way things become cheaper and better is by becoming mainstream. You need to start somewhere. I had an MP3 player back in 1998. It was terrible. It wouldn't work while running. It held just 8 songs. It didn't have any functions or features other than "Play" and "Volume". The technology was not accepted yet and people made fun of me for not using a Discman. Now my phone is an MP3 player with over 2,000 songs and numerous features including album art and even song lyrics!

I also bought a flat-panel computer monitor in 1998. It was 14" (just over 12" viewable) and it cost $750. Now I can get at least 5 22" LCD monitors for that amount of money.

Or how about cars themselves? They were dangerous, slow and completely unreliable and only for the most wealthy of society...now, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How about this, they are figuring 100K/10years on the battery. Who's going to invest that kind of money in car that has 100K/10 years. The effective life span of this vehicle is 1/2 that of a regular vehicle.
This coming from a guy who thinks coal is a viable energy source. We should go back to the steam engine!

Seriously though, the vast majority of car owners do not keep their car beyond 100k miles and 10 years, they generally trade them in or sell them. The parts in an electric car are very expensive and salvagable, so even when the thing dies out, the raw materials will still be worth plenty.

Last edited by ThinkBeforeYouVote; 11-09-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:

‘Record’ Volt Sales?Â* Not Really -- GM Counts $159 Leases for an $89,000 Car | NewsBusters.org
Would I buy one? No. I think it is ugly.

Now, if Ford were to come out with an electric Mustang...

Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, it's the American taxpayers who are the losers. We bailed out Obama's buddies at GM and are subsidizing everything that even pretends to be "green".

But no, I would not buy a Volt at any price.
I would, if I had a museum. The exibit would host a large sign which would read "Obama's Folly". The car
could sit right next to the Edsel.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I would, if I had a museum. The exibit would host a large sign which would read "Obama's Folly". The car
could sit right next to the Edsel.
Obama's folly (and folly, really?)? How are you connecting this to Obama? (FYI - the federal law that gives tax credits for Volts was signed into law by George W Bush).

Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
The average age of a typuical car in the USA stands at 10.8 years, so this assertion that ther average US automobile owner doesn't keep his or her car for over 10 years and 100,000 miles is total BS.

Nice try.

The Volt is simply too expensive and doesn't nearly justify such an absurd price; one can do SUBSTANTIALLY better for $34K or $42K, rebate or no rebate.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Sat in one once, only about three inches clearance between my head and the roof.

Back seat even smaller.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Sat in one once, only about three inches clearance between my head and the roof.

Back seat even smaller.
You must be a very tall man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies