Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times

Advertisements

Hell no....it's ugly as sin and only a p*ssy would drive one..

General Lee Tribute - If You Want Blood AC/DC - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You must be a very tall man.
In fact, I am a woman.

DH also sat in one, and his head couldn't clear the roof.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM

You can't turn a turd into a diamond.

Cobra car chase - YouTube

Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
In fact, I am a woman.

I wouldn't want to anyways. *Gag* *puke*

Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I wouldn't want to anyways. *Gag* *puke*
On another forum far away, a smart, sometimes foul-mouthed poster permanently put me off actually buying one. He questioned the willingness of rescue crews who might be sent to the scene of an accident I might be unforunate enough to have to utilize the jaws of life. Something about all that electrical stuff possibly being a deterent to the man/woman wielding that tool to "pull your pretentious arse" out of that wrecked vehicle. I don't know if this is true, but I've never been able to shake the vision of someone hesitating to cut that car up to get me out.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Well, I would never buy a Chevy to begin with. I'm a Ford girl througn and through.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
If you want to know why this country is struggling to progress, just look at these geniuses and their brilliant responses to this story:

It's very much a middle-class car. 40k is not a rich person car. Most rich people I know wouldn't be caught dead in a 40k car. Hence the plethora of BMWs and Mercedes in my line of work. Only a handful of people I know in my industry drive Volts and Leafs.
My son sells cars and he said most cars that people buy fall between 20-25 thousand. What community do you live in that has 40 thousand dollar cars for the average family?

My husband works with a guy who bought a Leaf. Can only drive it in town, wouldn't take it on the highway. He had to install a power system in his garage and juices it up each night. If you are out on the road you need to find a power station and wait until it's powered up. Geesh. So much fun, gag.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Yeah, Obama is the one who made and marketed the Chevy Volt

And yeah, I plan on test driving the Volt, the Leaf and the Tesla S when I am in the market for a new car next June. I live in a house with solar power, so my costs of energy would be essentially nil. The monthly savings for me in getting a Volt or Leaf would be $300, which added to the $150 in monthly energy savings due to my solar panels will save me ~$5,400 a year.

Why do you people want clean and renewable energy to fail? What about getting off of Arab oil is so horrifying to you people? Why would you want an AMERICAN car to fail? Why are you so unpatriotic?
I agree with the above, especially the last paragraph. I don't understand why so many people want this company to fail or this vehicle.

FWIW, I have test driven the Volt and it is a nice car, but I like the Malibu more than the Volt. If I had to chose, I'd pick the Malibu. I also drove the Leaf during a marketing event and it was a nice car as well. I did like it better than the Volt as far as maneuverability but the Volt has it beat since Volt also has the ability to use gas and not rely solely on electricity and if I had to chose between the two it would be the Volt. But I like the Malibu in regards to Chevies better. I also agree with a PP in that if they made an electric Mustang I would be right there!!! Especially if it was like the Volt and had a gas component along with electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
My son sells cars and he said most cars that people buy fall between 20-25 thousand. What community do you live in that has 40 thousand dollar cars for the average family?

My husband works with a guy who bought a Leaf. Can only drive it in town, wouldn't take it on the highway. He had to install a power system in his garage and juices it up each night. If you are out on the road you need to find a power station and wait until it's powered up. Geesh. So much fun, gag.
In regards to this see quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Agree with them or not, you have to factor in tax credits when it comes to a Volt purchase. The MSRP on my parent's Volt was 41K (nice one with leather, premium paint, etc). After negotiating and a rebate, they got that down to 37,000. They have 13,500 coming back to them in tax credits, so they ended up paying $23,500 for their 2013 Volt. (granted they did have to pay an extra $900 bucks or so on sales tax because the 37K was taxed, not the 23.5k).
Janelle, your son should be able to sell the Volt in the average price range, which I agree is 20-25K. I also know someone who bought a Volt and they got it for less than hammer's parents did because they didn't get a premium model. They ended up paying $20-22K I believe.

I seriously did look into getting one because I also fit the sort of person who would benefit from it - my daily commute is only 5 miles and I rarely drive more than 10 miles per day. But I also go on road trips a few times a year and until they get more plug in stations, I wouldn't want to deal with a solely electric vehicle. But like I mentioned the Volt has an advantage with its gas component. If I liked the look, I may consider purchasing it in 2013. But I am pretty cheap when it comes to getting any vehicle and I still have an old caravan that runs and has 180K miles on it and I have decided to run with that until it goes out on me. I would like a smaller vehicle though, especially one that moves well, so when the time comes, I'll probably look into the Malibu.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
In fact, I am a woman.

Okay. My 6 foot, 2.5 inch father has no issues driving his Volt.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That's why I think the Volt is a much superior car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies