Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:15 PM

876 posts, read 705,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
A lot of people have already written off this election and are gearing up for 2016 as it seems Romney most likely will lose this election. Everyone seems to think that the republican party will have a better chance in 2016 but I'm not so sure. The republican base is getting smaller as a percentage and that's a fact. In the next 4 years how many boomers will kick off and how many minorities will become old enough to vote or gain citizenship? What will happen within the republican party itself in the next for years? It seems as if they're unable to get behind any candidate due to the fact that half of the party is made up of realistic conservative voters and the other half is made up of ultra conservative crazy folks that are unwilling to change with the times. As these folks start to die off will it allow the party to change it's stances on social issues, foreign policy and the environment enough to make it more appealing to younger voters and minorities? This shift in demographics seems bad in the short term but there's a good chance that it's what will ensure a future for the party in the next 20-30 years IMO.

I stopped reading after, "how many boomers will kick off". I don't know what party you are affiliated with, but I know I don't want any part of thinking about our seniors like that. Hope you don't really feel like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,591,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
and then they've pulled up the ladder behind them slashing education funding which allows young people to climb up the ladder.
Well, come on!

Let's hear your sob story! Let's hear how horrible your life is!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,753,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
A lot of people have already written off this election and are gearing up for 2016 as it seems Romney most likely will lose this election. Everyone seems to think that the republican party will have a better chance in 2016 but I'm not so sure. The republican base is getting smaller as a percentage and that's a fact. In the next 4 years how many boomers will kick off and how many minorities will become old enough to vote or gain citizenship? What will happen within the republican party itself in the next for years? It seems as if they're unable to get behind any candidate due to the fact that half of the party is made up of realistic conservative voters and the other half is made up of ultra conservative crazy folks that are unwilling to change with the times. As these folks start to die off will it allow the party to change it's stances on social issues, foreign policy and the environment enough to make it more appealing to younger voters and minorities? This shift in demographics seems bad in the short term but there's a good chance that it's what will ensure a future for the party in the next 20-30 years IMO.
Oh, goodie it's been a while since we had a "blame the boomers" thread!!!

I need my SSI check. It allows me to pay for the things I need. How else could I pay for my manicures, pedicures, weekly visits to the hair salon and spa? And how would I be able to buy my toy boy a gift every now and then? I could dip into the interest I earn on the gazillon dollars I have in the bank, but why should I? I already use that for the 4 vacations I take every year.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,210,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

I need my SSI check. It allows me to pay for the things I need. How else could I pay for my manicures, pedicures, weekly visits to the hair salon and spa? And how would I be able to buy my toy boy a gift every now and then? I could dip into the interest I earn on the gazillon dollars I have in the bank, but why should I? I already use that for the 4 vacations I take every year.
Boomers are the most spoiled of all generations. Even more spoiled than millennials. Boomers opted for LBJ over Goldwater and got the gov't they deserved.

Fortunately, your SS and Medicare are going away soon.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-29-2012 at 05:33 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM

465 posts, read 505,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

on ssi you can't have anywhere near that in the bank and i'd like to know who you know on disability that lives like that i'm on ssdi and ssi because of brain injury and i don't live anything like that...i eat healthy, i pay my utilities, split my rent with my mom we don't get food stamps or section 8 (we don't need them) i don't know anyone that lives like that at all...unless they're criminals or something and then i obviously stay away...i don't have brand new clothes unless you count cheapos i buy at wal-mart sometimes that i btw wear until they fall off...

Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,591,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Boomers are the most spoiled of all generations. Even more spoiled than millennials. Boomers opted for LBJ over Goldwater and got the gov't they deserved.

F the boomers. Fortunately, your SS and Medicare are going away soon.
I guess you're right. At least I had shoes, even if I had to put cardboard in them!
And starving from time to time just allowed me to keep my girlish figure!

So Darn Spoiled, Was I.

Let's hear how you have suffered because of the boomers!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,120,254 times
Old people dying off is always better for the furthering of a younger generation's vision or ideology.

Not saying that it's a good or bad thing for betterment of society as a whole, but as we age, we are prone to be less and less accepting of changes. At any given time, there are generally 3 generations of majority age persons - the young who want to change things, the eldest generation that resists just about any and all changes to their idea of "normalcy", and the middle generation that is more apt to accept certain changes, but still rejects others.

As the older generation dies off, there is less resistance to whatever change it may be.

A good example is the incorporation of technology into schools.

Another would be the concept of using a cellphone number as a valid phone number. It used to be that many places would not accept anything but a landline number as a contact number. There's still some places that won't accept that some of us don't have (or want) a landline.

Heck, even the concept of kids with phones. My father did not allow me to have one until I paid for it. My daughter will get one as soon as she starts after-school activities - albeit not a smartphone like mine.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,441,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
I stopped reading after, "how many boomers will kick off". I don't know what party you are affiliated with, but I know I don't want any part of thinking about our seniors like that. Hope you don't really feel like this.
I'm not affiliated with any party as I don't vote or take any part in anything outside of local politics. Political parties are for the birds as is our voting system.
At no time in my post did I say That I want seniors to start dying off. I was just pointing out that there is a changing of the guard going on in this country and the older generation makes up a large portion of the Republican base. I was pointing out that it might be to the advantage of that party to have that older generation and there Ideologies concerning social issues and foreign policy die off in order to attract younger voters thus reviving the party.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The boomers can't die soon enough as far as I am concerned. They're bankrupting the country by refusing to pay the same tax rates their parents and grandparents paid, they're greedy and have loaded the nation up with debt to pay for their retirements and medical care at public expense, and then they've pulled up the ladder behind them slashing education funding which allows young people to climb up the ladder. This is why the US now has less social mobility then every other 1st world country. With the boomers it has always been about "me, me, me, and screw everyone else." You just can't run a country that way and the sooner the boomers are gone the better.

They've been self centered spoiled little brats their whole lives.
Boomers just started turning 65 last year. It's going to be quite a few decades before they all die off.
The youngest of the boomers is only 48.

How did they load up the nation with debt to pay for SS and medicare when they just started turning 65 last year ?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,210,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I guess you're right. At least I had shoes, even if I had to put cardboard in them!
And starving from time to time just allowed me to keep my girlish figure!

So Darn Spoiled, Was I.

Let's hear how you have suffered because of the boomers!
By paying for your socialized medicine and food stamps (SS checks). But like I said, it's cool. Inflation will strip away your check's value so it's all good. My wages will go up to compensate, but your checks will stay fixed.

BTW, you didn't "pay into it". That money was spent long ago when you voted for LBJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies