Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,804,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since when did Catholic hospitals cover birth control?
The employees of Catholic hospitals and students/employees of Catholic-founded schools have typically been given insurance options, some (or all?) of which offered birth control coverage... I'm not talking about the PATIENTS, I am referring to those who are covered under their supported insurance plans. If they don't want to dole out the BC themselves, I completely understand that - but if they're going to employ people of various faiths, they should have a variety of insurance options IMO. Sometimes a Catholic hospital is the only gig in town for medical professionals, so they might not even have a choice in terms of working for that institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have been partly disabled since 1987. Withbthat and a buck like you i can buy my own cup of coffee. I have never collected one cent from SSI or any other entity, I still work and i earn every last cent of what i earn. Never once have i taken a thing from Gov or even asked.

i do pay for health ins for my bride , and so far the agents have never queeried to me about why i never have any of my own because as i was informed by the NH labor board i was a pre-exisiting condition, and would never again be allowed unless of course i lied.

i also pay car truck trailer and motorcycle ins plus contents and on the bikes 1000 over their values as i add on a lot of mods for power handllng and assorted other items that protect the paint.
No need to explain or justify yourself. Unlike some people here, I'm not into judging what other people do in their personal lives.

I have no problem with people who are legitimately disabled collecting disability, and couldn't care less what you do with that money or what else you choose to spend/save. But when it comes to general taxes we ALL pay, you simply cannot dictate what or how much goes where. I'm not in support of funding unnecessary wars, however it's something I just have to accept as my American duty... I could go "off the grid" if I so desired, or fight unjust wars from the sidelines, but the bottom line is that my taxes will ultimately support a few things I don't like. If we all had the ability to decide these things ourselves, literally nothing would be properly funded (not even schools or police & fire).

Quote:
The way this thread reads it appears my trax dollars will pay for BC care for other people. I have no need what so ever of any BC care for me or my wife. i didn't know men took the pill, but as it is these days even that figures. I suppose that is to enchance the male breast since almost everyone but knuckel draggers want to be women these days.
Uh, I don't know about men taking BC pills! But in terms of this thread, the OP really didn't give us anything to go on... we just ran with it, apparently, and it seems a few of us are discussing different things. My specific comments have been regarding insurance coverage, which even under Obamacare wouldn't be fully taxpayer-funded AFAIK.

Quote:
If i am not being taxed for BC then I don't care, but i am not sure if I am being taxed for that or not.

I am fed up to here with taxes and the left wanting everything people work hard for to be given away to taxes!.

I am serious i plan to talk with my accountant and if she can't lower my taxes in a meaning full way I will get another one who can.

The left can go pound salt..... i am tapped out and out of patience too.
I'm a Libertarian, if you weren't aware of that yet... so I have no need to go "pound salt," since I'm probably closer to a Republican's view when it comes to taxes. I think they're a necessary evil, but also don't think we should be supporting people who refuse to help themselves, and certainly don't believe in "robbing the rich to fund the poor." I come from a family of 1%-ers, and know firsthand how much they already contribute - enough is enough!!

Quote:
I am glad you don't give a rat's behind about me too. really i am.... it means there is still hope for you!
Again, I am a Libertarian - a TRUE Libertarian by most counts, not one of those people who's just a Rep or Dem in disguise. Thus I generally don't give a rat's behind what anyone does, as long as it's not directly harming anyone else... go right ahead and smoke, drink, do drugs, ride motorcycles without a helmet, have tons & tons of sex, carry a gun, or whatever. No skin off my back, provided you're not driving while impaired or waving that gun in my face without reason.

My personal beliefs aside, and partisan biases aside, I'll say again that individuals don't have the power to control how their taxes are spent. You can express your disagreement, even protest as you see fit, but like it or not the government has the final say. I would agree with talking to your accountant, though, if you're not getting a fair break compared to other Americans in similar situations... personally I just pay what I'm supposed to, and won't worry about splitting hairs until I have enough to where it matters.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,974,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Nope didn't see it. I have said this is a make-believe problem to distract from Obama's economy from the beginning.

WTH, I just buy condoms. They are cheap and effective.
Actually the pill is better than condoms in terms of effectiveness.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Actually the pill is better than condoms in terms of effectiveness.
And potentially cheaper, depending on how often you're actually "engaging."

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,219,072 times
Weird. I already pay taxes for all sorts of things I don't like, so am not sure what makes this much different. In fact, I wish that all tax funded projects were so benign. How about the billions of dollars we send in aid each year to countries like Egypt and Israel? Or tax breaks given to any number of companies that do things I don't like, which is in effect a subsidy for them to continue their activities.

What a ridiculously petty complaint to have!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
3. Women could easily lie if such restrictions were put into place. "Why do you need birth control pills, ma'am?" "My cramps are SO awful I can't focus or work." "Okay, here you go." Simple as that! Just because you think insurance should only cover its medical use, for whatever godforsaken reason, that doesn't mean it's a logical argument. Ponder my points, and maybe use some common sense to think it through for a moment.
Exactly! My daughter works for a Catholic hospital, and when this brou-ha-ha broke, I asked her about her hospital's policy towards BC. To wit: Since it is impossible to distinguish between a medical need and a personal decision to use BC, they would pay for it for all for whom it is prescribed.

Those of you on a high horse about lying, conniving women need to know that such subterfuge has been going on for a long time. It used to be, women would get hysterectomies for some trumped up medical problem to get sterilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I feel that way about mountain climbing.
Why do I have to pay for search & rescue for people who choose to put themselves in those situations?
Motorcycle riding!

Quote:
Nope didn't see it. I have said this is a make-believe problem to distract from Obama's economy from the beginning.

WTH, I just buy condoms. They are cheap and effective.
Uh, uh, uh, it was not the Democrats who started this brou-ha-ha.

Quote:
Women will still pay for birth control. They will just do it thru higher taxes.

It makes more economic sense to let them pay for it directly. Much more efficient which means lower costs. Injecting 2 outside parties (govt and ins. companies) will make the economic transaction less efficient and more cumbersome. Therefore more expensive.
Maybe someone else in addition to gizmo needs to point out, this is not a tax issue except for those on Medicaid. It is an issue of the employee and employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since when did Catholic hospitals cover birth control?

Old 09-29-2012, 03:43 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,354,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Don't really see how it's free when I pay for an insurance and prescription plan.
Isn't the subject here other people paying for other peoples meds? Mainly BC?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,354,933 times
Quote:
Women will still pay for birth control. They will just do it thru higher taxes.
Good point. And the tax burden hits everybody.

Quote:
It makes more economic sense to let them pay for it directly. Much more efficient which means lower costs. Injecting 2 outside parties (govt and ins. companies) will make the economic transaction less efficient and more cumbersome. Therefore more expensive.
Very true.

This whole discussion is interesting to say the least.

On one hand some people want others to pay for their own actions, ie, blame them for diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.), then penalize (aka tax) THEM higher because ya know, THEY did that to themselves.

On the other some people want others to pay for their own actions as long as it involves elective actions such as sex then penalize (aka tax EVERYBODY higher) because they want to have sex with no responsibilities. (I'm not talking about medical reasons for BC meds, as mentioned before).

We seem to be trying to walk a slippery slope carrying a can of worms.

Anyway, interesting subject.

Carry on everyone.....

Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,596,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I took care of mu BC problems long ago it was called vasectomy.
So did I and my health insurance paid for it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Good point. And the tax burden hits everybody.

Very true.

This whole discussion is interesting to say the least.

On one hand some people want others to pay for their own actions, ie, blame them for diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.), then penalize (aka tax) THEM higher because ya know, THEY did that to themselves.

On the other some people want others to pay for their own actions as long as it involves elective actions such as sex then penalize (aka tax EVERYBODY higher) because they want to have sex with no responsibilities. (I'm not talking about medical reasons for BC meds, as mentioned before).

We seem to be trying to walk a slippery slope carrying a can of worms.

Anyway, interesting subject.

Carry on everyone.....
Except that this isn't about Medicaid, it's about health insurance! HI premiums are paid by consumers, and in some cases, all or part by the employer. Insurance does not involve taxes!

Some RWs are so obsessed with this Taxed Enough Already thing, that they bring taxes into every conversation, even when it is not the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies