Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 AM

25,805 posts, read 16,456,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why should unions call the shots on who gets to do what work?
Why should the employers? They cannot accomplish anything without the workers. All the union is asking for is a decent wage and benefits. Without the union you may as well hire illegals for a buck an hour.

I mean why even pay minimum wage? If you don't value the working man enough to pay him a living wage why give him anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Last I checked the United States still pretended to be a free country, who made the unions the owners of cities?
Last time I checked the union workers are citizens who pay taxes and unions are a legal organization.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM

The moral of this stupid story is most of you who are commenting on unions are clueless of what you are talking about. Just stop. Unions are probably why this country became the superpower it is today. It's because of unions that there is a middle class. Unions fought for equal rights for minorities before MLK was even born. Unions fought for equal pay for women before Gloria Steinem burned her first bra. You work 8 hours a day because of unions. You have pensions, 401K matches because of unions. Even if you've never paid a penny for dues what you have today is because of what unions have fought for.

But go ahead, throw it all away. Trust people like the Enron management team to treat you fairly and look out for your future.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,969,904 times
Why should employers call the shots? Are you kidding me? Go start your OWN company if you want to call the shots. How far gone are you anyway?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The moral of this stupid story is most of you who are commenting on unions are clueless of what you are talking about. Just stop. Unions are probably why this country became the superpower it is today. It's because of unions that there is a middle class. Unions fought for equal rights for minorities before MLK was even born. Unions fought for equal pay for women before Gloria Steinem burned her first bra. You work 8 hours a day because of unions. You have pensions, 401K matches because of unions. Even if you've never paid a penny for dues what you have today is because of what unions have fought for.

But go ahead, throw it all away. Trust people like the Enron management team to treat you fairly and look out for your future.
Oil is why. Go give all you money to the unions if you think they are so wonderful. See what they do for you.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why should employers call the shots? Are you kidding me? Go start your OWN company if you want to call the shots. How far gone are you anyway?
Are you telling me I could start my own electric utility that is a legal monopoly? How is that going to work? Since people need safe, dependable elec service to their homes and I enjoy the work and have a knack for it then I have to work for the utility. The union ensures I am treated fairly so I can focus on my job and your safety and keep your rates down at the same time.

Same with auto workers or plumbers or whoever....you want professionals in certain occupations and the unions ensure that. My company loves the union, we have a close to 100 year relationship and never a layoff or a strike.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,495,421 times
Unions --> efficiency? --> for collecting money!!! Check it out ---> University of California has 13 unions (so far!), so in order to answer an employee's question, you need to know their title - to know which union they belong to - to know the 'rules' for them. Actually, most contracts just 'parrot' (PPSM) University policy in order to 'LOOK BUSY'!! Talk about Ponzie schemes!!

And - check it out - Postdoctoral employees are represented by UNITED AUTO WORKERS (see PX)!!! Go figure!!

Really???? YES, REALLY!!! Tax dollars ---> 'at work' (Of course, it's CA, so I know you aren't surprised!)

Policies & Contracts — Human Resources

Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,470,333 times
Quote:

The unions get greedy too. Just look at the teamsters union, what happened to Hoffa, no one knows to this day. There is greed on both sides.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Are you telling me I could start my own electric utility that is a legal monopoly? How is that going to work? Since people need safe, dependable elec service to their homes and I enjoy the work and have a knack for it then I have to work for the utility. The union ensures I am treated fairly so I can focus on my job and your safety and keep your rates down at the same time.

Same with auto workers or plumbers or whoever....you want professionals in certain occupations and the unions ensure that. My company loves the union, we have a close to 100 year relationship and never a layoff or a strike.
Why don't the union plumbers start their own company? Why don't the union bakers start their own company? You can't answer the question so go into spin mode. Answer is they could be they would have to pay themselves what they demand and they don't want to do that.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The unions get greedy too. Just look at the teamsters union, what happened to Hoffa, no one knows to this day. There is greed on both sides.
I love how these folks scream about the evil managment but when the union mafia goons took the pension money and built vegas with it nobody seemed to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies