Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Certainly, a case can be made that this isn't the right forum being Politics and other Controversies to discuss the founders and the history of slavery, but this idea that discussing the history of slavery is some kind of problem or a waste of time is bs.

It is fine if you don't want to discuss that history, but to pretend that this is somehow a bad thing to understand the enslavement of Africans and how it fit into American history just doesn't make any sense.
If you follow the history forum, you can read my comments on other topics. Its relevant if you bring new, previously unknown facts, publications, revelations. But regurgitating the same old, again and again is pointless. Maybe I am wrong and people don't know about slavery and the atrocities associated with it. But since I read a lot (and also visited Mount Vernon), I know well of GW slavery ownership. I think most forum members are also aware of that.
However, I don't think the OP intended to view it from historical perspective only. The discussion would undoubtedly derail to racism in America today. Didn't you read enough of that on the politics forum?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 745 times
It is hard to comprehend how these men who history marked as our countries founding fathers could call themselves Christians while at the same time supporting slavery. Maybe they ready from a differnt Bibile than mine. It is even more disapointing when you find out these slave owners were some of he same men who wrote the Constitution of the United States.

As a kid going to school I can remember the replica's of George Washington's famous half painted picture place on the wall of each classroom, no history class in our schools pointed out "Hey...Here is man with a very dark side" instead it was "This is the Father of Our Country". Being an American Indian by birth I never did buy in to the "Father of Our County" thing because my people were here long before the British and George Washinton's people arrived.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
If you follow the history forum, you can read my comments on other topics. Its relevant if you bring new, previously unknown facts, publications, revelations. But regurgitating the same old, again and again is pointless. Maybe I am wrong and people don't know about slavery and the atrocities associated with it. But since I read a lot (and also visited Mount Vernon), I know well of GW slavery ownership. I think most forum members are also aware of that.
I think most Americans know very, very little about the history of the enslavement of Africans in this nation.

It has been my personal experience that those who claim to know so much about the enslavement of Africans in this nation, yet hate when the topic is discussed tend to be liars about the extent of their knowledge about the topic.

The very people who would be driven to know more about the history of the enslavement of Africans in America would tend to be the very people who want a discussion about the history of the enslavement of Africans in America because the subject interests them so they wanted to know more and want to discuss it.

The very people who would tend to know the least about the history of the enslavement of Africans tend to be people who don't want to discuss it and therefore who don't see the value in discussing it and pretend that everything to know about the subject is common knowledge that everyone knows and that further inquiry into the subject is just done to denigrate America or blah, blah, blah.

I know which camp you seem to fit into.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I'm sorry if history and facts hurts you inside but you shouldn't insult people who present those facts to you.

As the saying goes, "don't kill the messenger". I am not responsible for history.

Japan was nuked twice and look at them now. (Just a comparison to show you that organized people can overcome long odds).
Lol

Old 09-28-2012, 08:44 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I see the Godless Commies are at it again.
They will never stop...

Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
I think most Americans know very, very little about the history of the enslavement of Africans in this nation.

It has been my personal experience that those who claim to know so much about the enslavement of Africans in this nation, yet hate when the topic is discussed tend to be liars about the extent of their knowledge about the topic.

The very people who would be driven to know more about the history of the enslavement of Africans in America would tend to be the very people who want a discussion about the history of the enslavement of Africans in America because the subject interests them so they wanted to know more and want to discuss it.

The very people who would tend to know the least about the history of the enslavement of Africans tend to be people who don't want to discuss it and therefore who don't see the value in discussing it and pretend that everything to know about the subject is common knowledge that everyone knows and that further inquiry into the subject is just done to denigrate America or blah, blah, blah.

Nobody said that the conversation had no place.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:

I said similar things in response to yet another discussion about Obama's birth certificate. Don't you feel we had enough of that?
On the religion forum a poster started a thread about Jesus being really the son of G_d and he will convince the atheists that they are wrong, bringing quotes from the Bible. That thread came also out of the blue...
Anyway, feel free to think whatever you prefer about me.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I remember reading that George Washington died of Pneumonia because he caught it while raping his female slaves.
Add rapist to your list.

Lots of the founding fathers didn't own slaves,like John Adams.

You are correct though,they weren't Christians by any means.
I also remember seeing something on Tv history channel that most were Freemasons.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,160 times
Quote:

Yes it's an interesting thing, how people view slavery I mean.

Part of the problem is, in my opinion that people do not want to deal with the consequences of the original sin(slavery) they want to pretend it never happened, or that it was not as bad as some would make it out to be.

It's hard to separate the current socioeconomic condition of the black man and it's relationship to slavery.

As everyone knows, the black mans woes did not end the day slavery was ended, but in fact may have even worsened following reconstruction.

Though I believe it possible for anyone to make it in this nation, it is more difficult if you're black. The white man has no interest in changing this, why would he want to change a system that favors him. Better for him to deny the original sin than to deal with it's effects.

Comparing Africa to the United States is a fallacy because their are a great deal of different factors. That and Africa is a continent that was, as far as I know never united under one flag in the way that China has. Africa has long been the victim of imperialism and this too has had a dramatic impact on the lives of Africans. I won't say if one is better or worse because it simply is.

Though if you really want to make a comparison, it would be more fair to compare the African to the Native American. I suppose compare to him the African has fared better. The Native Americans were less tolerant to the disease of the white man and thus is nearly extinct.

One person in this very thread has already expressed great pride in the killing of the Native Americans.

I'm not even judging these peoples, it's just the way history is.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The following people should thank the Founding Fathers for the opportunity to gather massive wealth for themselves via the American System of Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Oprah Winfrey

3. "Magic" Johnson

4. Jay-Z

5. Puff Daddy

6. Will Smith

7. Michelle Obama

8. Etc.

To those Americans who benefited by not being born and raised in Rwanda, The Congo or Eritrea...

Spoiler
Your Welcome.

They shouldn't than the founding fathers,they are DEAD.
They should thank God.

I find it strange that people who claim to be Christians kind of worship other men when its clearly stated in the bible"Worship God".

Besides,if it was for Mlk,those people would still be working low wage jobs.
I could go furthur and say ABRAHAM LINCOLN was better and smarter than the founding fathers,IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies