Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times

Advertisements

They do, like Singapore has the death penalty for drug possession or petty theft, but its not good to be that draconian either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Probably drug possession... But that's getting less common, many jurisdiction are moving towards a rehabilitation oriented model.
I'm not a fan on commenting on what if's. If someone wants to post an actual case, I would comment.

635 posts, read 539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
They do, like Singapore has the death penalty for drug possession or petty theft, but its not good to be that draconian either.
Singapore is like Sweden, I suspect the super low crime rate has a lot more to do with other factors.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
In 2012 going to prison is a status symbol, no it's not reducing crime.....

But I'll bet if we make the death penalty wider to include more crimes THAT will reduce crime....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not a fan on commenting on what if's. If someone wants to post an actual case, I would comment.
What if? It's a fact that lots of people go to prison for drug possession. My job is in the criminal justice field, I see lots of people who have served prison time for drug possession (although, marijuana is not so common, mostly hard drugs, and these days mostly meth). When it comes to that drug, I think incerceration and rehabilitation is the solution, not one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
In 2012 going to prison is a status symbol, no it's not reducing crime.....

But I'll bet if we make the death penalty wider to include more crimes THAT will reduce crime....

Or there'll just be a lot more dead cops and innocent bystanders.

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I can understand someone being thrown in the slammer for a measly crime. Being in jail with hardened criminals gang memebers, mafia types etc.

Being different or changing their point of view after being in jail. Jail is hell, and for the person who has commited minior crimes, i would think they would never want to go back.

But all too often start with small crimes and then graduate. Some learn there lesson the first time, many do not.

No matter if there are laws tough, there will always be those criminals that don't care, nothing can stop some people.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Whenever you make something more expensive, people tend to partake less. Maybe some people just have to have it--whatever it is that has been made more expensive. But overall people will do less crime if the chance of getting caught is increased, and/or the penalty when caught is increased.

I agree that there have to be alternatives to a life of crime upon release. If the only choice is steal or starve, most are going to steal, even with high penalties.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Or there'll just be a lot more dead cops and innocent bystanders.
Typical bleeding heart response....

Don't do anything drastic, they might get mad.....

Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Typical bleeding heart response....

Don't do anything drastic, they might get mad.....
Or, don't do something drastic, since it'd only cause more violent crime. The death penalty isn't currently a deterrent beyond the fact that dead people can't commit crimes.

How many people do you know of that didn't go through with a murder because of the death penalty?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
What if? It's a fact that lots of people go to prison for drug possession. My job is in the criminal justice field, I see lots of people who have served prison time for drug possession (although, marijuana is not so common, mostly hard drugs, and these days mostly meth). When it comes to that drug, I think incerceration and rehabilitation is the solution, not one or the other.
I don't consider Meth and the damage it does a minor crime. Are you saying that you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies