Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Here's a solution. A rather simply one: end all work visas until unemployment is below 4%, and send the people here on an L and especially H1B visa back home packing, and permanently end the DV lottery. Tighten up on people emigrating here from developing countries, and give priority to citizens from developed nations to come here.
My solution is slightly different

Unlimited work visa(s) as long as an employer has a job, and a human being is interested in taking it. Employer would only be required to verify person is not a criminal. Legal laws to ensure slave labor is not created (i.e. maximum contract sizes)

Your idea just shows a basic misunderstanding of the economy, of business, and what immigration does when needed. You really f'n think that the 8% rate unemployment has many Microsoft capable programmers? Seriously? no - its a bunch of people without college degrees with no skills to compete in the new global economy. Until those people get a real skill, they are going to remained f'd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Then you're hiring low skill workers. The thing about engineers is.....engineers didn't develop all that knowledge just to not work. It's one thing to not care if a bunch of Mexicans come up here and pick the fruit that nobody else will pick, but we're talking about highly sought-after positions here.

The other thing of note is that this puts a strain on all of us. Let's say that Microsoft brings in one guy from India. OK, so one domestic worker got screwed, right? No big deal? Until one factors in that he's going to bring his wife, who is going to attend the university here on the taxpayer dime, and his three kids, whom will attend the schools and cost money, and his parents to come watch the kids. Microsoft gets 1 worker. The taxpayer gets stuck with subsidizing 6 more. Great deal for Microsoft. Not a good deal for the area.
low skilled workers? ha ha ha.. you are funny.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can draw 10k a year UE benefits and struggle, or make 100K programming. No, my friend, there are no such people. It is a myth.
yet, I bet many people could introduce you to those that are drawing UE benifits and wont take a job that pays far better then the benefits. you make think it is a myth but that does not make it so.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Agreed.

I hate these Visas because the potential to abuse them is so great.

The first step in resoling this problem needs to be the dissolution of all pubic school teacher's unions and one size fits all education.

Teachers need to be held accountable and fired if they fail to perform and bright students need to allowed to reach their highest potential without having to wait for the less able kids to catch up.

Of course school tuition vouchers would solve the whole problem.
You haven't been following the thread. It seems that Microsoft is almost the only company in the Seattle area that does this; the others seem to find American workers. Others have posted that the CS programs in universities are full. This is not a teachers' union issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Seems a little high to me, but I suppose.

Look, obviously Microsoft would hire locally versus getting visa. Its not microsoft fault there aren't enough qualified persons (or persons who demand too much salary?). If your job can be done for less than an Indian whom we have to fly over, pay a visa, and then a salary. . then maybe your expectations are to high. no sympathy here.

If microsoft will pay 10k, I say everyone wins.
Re: the bold- Apparently not, according to post 14. Flying someone over to the US is a small cost, compared to paying them year in and year out. Microsoft is winning; no one else is.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think it's two problems. Employers want to bring in cheap labor immigrants but also American college students no longer have a work ethic and also our colleges are churning out illiterate graduates who expect 6 figures for doing little work.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's two problems. Employers want to bring in cheap labor immigrants but also American college students no longer have a work ethic and also our colleges are churning out illiterate graduates who expect 6 figures for doing little work.
What a bunch of bunk!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM

629 posts, read 771,729 times
The beauty of this issue is its non partisan reality. I can find politicians on the left from the Clintons and obamas to the skung CA congresswomen from the bay area to the Bushs Romney and most if not all politicians on the right. They are all getting kick backs from the lobbyists trying to increase the number of H1B visas. This should be the issue that brings us together and to root out the traitors that walk the halls of congress, both parties

Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
I can tell you first hand that when I need a programmer, I usually end up going outside the country because the work ethics seem to be better.

I have been waiting 3 weeks for a program from a guy that lives about an hour from me, but when I sent a very similar project to a guy in China, it was done in 24 hours, at 1/10th the cost.

Americans seem to be very easily distracted by things other than work, maybe my programmer spends the same amount of time on city-data that I do..

Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Totaly agree!!! I worked part time at a software company and we hired Indians because they would take developer jobs for 35k a year..the problem was they would never work overtime and the American workers who were making a lot more would have to pick up the slack....they would work at least 65 hours a week during a project..well needless to say the American workers would burn out.
Hmmmm....it would be against the law to hire H1B workers for less than half of the going wage...did you just make this up

Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Plus $15K for green cards – other companies could buy in, as well

Now this is faith in the American worker

I guess the college kiddies should have taken up computer sciences rather than degrees in gay folklore or clothes designs...

Microsoft: 'To fill 6,000 jobs, we'll pay $10K per visa' ? The Register
I read that the best and brightest college students are still concentrating on finance majors because that is where the money still is.
The reality is that programming is grunt work. It doesn't pay that well and the hours are brutal.
Want proof? Look at the drop-out rates for game development programs.

Only a very small number of people can specialize in this area for any length of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies