Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM

180 posts, read 237,139 times

Advertisements

In remarks to the AIM conference, “ObamaNation: A Day of Truth,” on September 21st, former Democratic pollster and analyst Pat Caddell said, “I think we’re at the most dangerous time in our political history in terms of the balance of power in the role that the media plays in whether or not we maintain a free democracy.” Caddell noted that while First Amendment protections were originally provided to the press so they would protect the liberty and freedom of the public from “organized governmental power,” they had clearly relinquished the role of impartial news providers."

Pat Caddell Says: Media Have Become “Enemy of the American People”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
They have, in many ways. If Im not mistaken you are also from New England. Do you beleive the media is responsable for at least a 3rd of what little recession we have?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
In remarks to the AIM conference, “ObamaNation: A Day of Truth,” on September 21st, former Democratic pollster and analyst Pat Caddell said, “I think we’re at the most dangerous time in our political history in terms of the balance of power in the role that the media plays in whether or not we maintain a free democracy.” Caddell noted that while First Amendment protections were originally provided to the press so they would protect the liberty and freedom of the public from “organized governmental power,” they had clearly relinquished the role of impartial news providers."

I have never really liked Caddells politics but he is honest.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
The media betrayed their role as watchdog of democracy. But unlike what some may think, its not a strong political arm which pushed them in one direction, but a financial one.
But I disagree with Caddells on one thing: today the public has options. The internet changed things and anyone can get news from overseas agencies, publications and media outlets if they choose so.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:17 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The media betrayed their role as watchdog of democracy. But unlike what some may think, its not a strong political arm which pushed them in one direction, but a financial one.
But I disagree with Caddells on one thing: today the public has options. The internet changed things and anyone can get news from overseas agencies, publications and media outlets if they choose so.
We are all relying on the kindness of strangers sharing their ignorance.

These federal and state rules and laws are impossible for single individual to keep track of. We rely on whomever chooses to speak on all issues we do not research ourselves. Most people have their own biases.
We are not getting information from trained, ethical reporters. We have been reduced to a he did it first, so it's OK for me to do politics.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Yup. This is especially true with over the air TV stations. My area had stations that broadcast all 3 major networks for decades, and Fox and PBS were added later. The digital conversion allowed at least 5 other networks, some only available on cable earlier, to be broadcast.

But all of the stations, which were once either locally or regionally owned, were bought up by larger broadcast companies, and some of them ran into deep financial trouble, even though the local ad market was doing fine.
Now, the oldest of the local stations, the one that first broadcast television to my end of the state, is now just a shell. It has been a CBS affiliate since the first, from 1954, but even though it is still being broadcast as a separate entity, a former competitor does the broadcasting.

When once it had the largest news department in the region, now it is down to only two people, and they use the same material that their former competitor writes. So we are getting the same take and editorial point of view on both stations. I think, that in time, both those lonely guys will be gone. Only the background screen will be different when the news comes on.

Fox, as an independent entity, has done the same. Fox never had a local news staff. All their news came from the 3rd competitor in the market.

This is not the way news should be reported. To get truly objective reporting requires many views on an event, and I fear this type of strange consolidation will only get worse, both on over the air and on cable and satellite TV.

The lack of differing viewpoints really affects me, as I grew disgusted with the price and choices of cable years ago and disconnected my cable service. Satellite TV appears to be just the same as cable to me, so I only receive over the air broadcasts now.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:27 PM

629 posts, read 772,081 times
The media nominated and campaigned Obama into office. Oprah, the view NBC abc CBC lead the charge

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We are all relying on the kindness of strangers sharing their ignorance.

These federal and state rules and laws are impossible for single individual to keep track of. We rely on whomever chooses to speak on all issues we do not research ourselves. Most people have their own biases.
We are not getting information from trained, ethical reporters. We have been reduced to a he did it first, so it's OK for me to do politics.
Having said that, you are probably one who (like me) gets his info from multiple (including foreign) sources.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Feels like a dictatorship has taken over the media.. pushing for Obama and ripping Romney. When a communist is in office and in control the media is also.. hummmm..

Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post

The shocking thing is that liberals have become so brainwashed that they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem. The odd thing that they do not seem to appreciate is that tyrants turn on EVERYONE. It is not an issue of one having a "D" on thier hat will be kind and caring to libs and only punish conservatives. Loss of liberty and the use of the press as a propaganda tool is exactly what totalitarian states do.

The media is a propaganda unit for liberalism and is an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies