Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times

Advertisements

LOL - you must be a litigation paralegal.

[quote=mayita;26301310]I worked 55 billable hours this past week, and 60 every week since June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Here is the group we need to write to to end this abuse.

Quote:
Obama administration moved to cut off funding to schools with the worst performance, but every single House Republican voted to block these reforms. The industry gives twice as much money to Republicans as Democrats (unfortunately many members of both parties serve the for-profit college agenda).
For profit universities in pockets of Republicans

Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
[quote=carolac;26301781]LOL - you must be a litigation paralegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I worked 55 billable hours this past week, and 60 every week since June.

Or an insurance defense attorney, where the billable hour is the bane of one's existence!

(Though attorneys usually have more autonomy to do what they want on the internet, because in the end the proof of productivity is in the hours posted).

Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
While I harbor no particular like or dislike for for-profit colleges, I tend to believe our men and women in uniform are smarter than the President appears to give them credit for. As adults, these men and women are capable of making their own decisions....performing their own due diligence.....making choices that are right for them.....whether it be at a for-profit or non-profit university. If a person freely chooses to go to a for-profit university without performing appropriate due-diligence, and the outcome is less than admirable, then that problem rests squarely on the shoulders of the individual, not the college.

Can you explain to me why there's no PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY component to liberal ideology?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
While I harbor no particular like or dislike for for-profit colleges, I tend to believe our men and women in uniform are smarter than the President appears to give them credit for. As adults, these men and women are capable of making their own decisions....performing their own due diligence.....making choices that are right for them.....whether it be at a for-profit or non-profit university. If a person freely chooses to go to a for-profit university without performing appropriate due-diligence, and the outcome is less than admirable, then that problem rests squarely on the shoulders of the individual, not the college.

Can you explain to me why there's no PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY component to liberal ideology?
Would your philosophy apply also to the victims of Bernie Madoff?

Quote:
The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers financial support for veterans' education, leading some marketers to target vets with deceptive advertising about college opportunities and President Obama to sign an executive order on Friday to curb those abuses.
President Obama Signs Executive Order Protecting Veterans Inundated With College Process - ABC News

Nothing wrong with being an informed consumer, is there?

Quote:
Under the executive order, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Education Department's "Know Before You Owe" financial aid form will also be required to be made available to every college student participating in the Defense Department's tuition assistance program at nearly 2,000 schools. The form provides information about tuition and fees, estimated student loan debt upon graduation, graduation rates, among other information.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
LOL - Must be reiterated--the absolute bane of one's existence!! Realize I forgot our poor real estate/corporate peeps too!

QUOTE=TriMT7;26301827]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
LOL - you must be a litigation paralegal.

Or an insurance defense attorney, where the billable hour is the bane of one's existence!

(Though attorneys usually have more autonomy to do what they want on the internet, because in the end the proof of productivity is in the hours posted).

Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Would your philosophy apply also to the victims of Bernie Madoff?

President Obama Signs Executive Order Protecting Veterans Inundated With College Process - ABC News

Nothing wrong with being an informed consumer, is there?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being an informed consumer. But, what exactly does the DoD guidance provide that the student could not have found out on their own during the exploration phase of deciding the right college?

Absolutely nothing.

The Executive Order was nothing but pure political maneuvering. If you and I can find out how much college costs....the "know before you owe" component that the DoD is promoting.....then why can't our veterans?

I didn't need an EO to help me out. Did you?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being an informed consumer. But, what exactly does the DoD guidance provide that the student could not have found out on their own during the exploration phase of deciding the right college?

Absolutely nothing.

The Executive Order was nothing but pure political maneuvering. If you and I can find out how much college costs....the "know before you owe" component that the DoD is promoting.....then why can't our veterans?

You are against providing information and warnings about predatory practices why?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
I'm beginning to think no matters who is president America is screwed.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:

Absolutely nothing.

I didn't either when it came time to use my GI Bill. 2 year CC and 2 year State University got me my BS degree with very little personal outlay of cash.

But people are not as smart today as jojajn points out. They need the government to watch over them and warn them. Functional illiteracy is pretty high since education has degraded so much.

People do not understand what they read. They need additional government help to make the right choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies