Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Sounds like you need to move to Europe,...since you can't change transportation here. Nothing seems to satisfy you. You gripe in this thread because more people don't ride bicycles instead of drive cars, and gripe in another thread because your driving is limited by speed limits. You always are comparing everything to Germany, the Netherlands, or some other country,...so why not just move there and be more content? That way we on this forum wouldn't have to listen to your incessant whining about America.

The only one whining on this thread is you......

Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
In my opinion, it is very important for people to travel to other places to be able to see that there are different ways and sometimes better ways of doing things.

I visited a friend in the Netherlands a couple months ago, I had never been there before and I have to admit that riding a bicycle in the Netherlands was an amazing experience! I could not help but think of all the morbidly obese people I see at my local grocery store here in Iowa.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a woman at the store, I kid you not- this woman weighed at least 600 pounds- she could hardly walk, I have never seen anything more sad and depressing.

How can anybody think that something like that is "normal"?- What blows my mind is that in this American society, no one seems to give a ****.

Instead of seeing this person as an abnormality(which is exactly what she is)- society tells this person that it is OK to be her- so that they can sell her all this BS weight loss crap, oversize clothes, all this "Big Beautiful Woman" BS- it is absolutely appalling!

I understand that the US and Europe are not the same, not even remotely closely, but there is so much that could be done better here in the USA to allow people like this woman to live a better, longer, healthier life.

Lastly, like someone mentioned, living in a place that offers no alternative means of transportation except a car-centric lifestyle is not FREEDOM, it is eternal servitude to the oil companies.
why that person id free to eat as much unhealthy food as they want at the risk to their long health and if someone want to be 600 pounds and be unable to walk they are free to do so if they wise or they can eat right and exercise it is up to them not anyone else.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The only one whining on this thread is you......
Some dimbulb might think that,...but,...one has to consider the lefties moaning and groaning about Americans driving cars instead of peddling.

Some of us like this country just the way it is, or was. Many of us think that personal freedom is a great gift from our founders, and enjoy not being coerced into living in some leftwing nutjobs fantasy world.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 PM

170 posts, read 203,358 times
Car > Bicycle in 95% of circumstances.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM

170 posts, read 203,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Big oil companies and Republicans don't like us pushing for alternate transportation methods and will fight tax dollars going into bike paths and high speed trains, etc. They like us all hooked on gas depend cars.
Liberal conspiracy theorist ^

Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
why that person id free to eat as much unhealthy food as they want at the risk to their long health and if someone want to be 600 pounds and be unable to walk they are free to do so if they wise or they can eat right and exercise it is up to them not anyone else.
Why would anybody choose to weigh 600 pounds? Obviously, we have a large amount of people in this country who are absolutely ignorant and do not have a basic understanding of nutrition and health.

The Government is also responsible because it does not a give a **** about the people here- I mean, the USA has some of the lowest standards when it comes to food regulation- in most European countries and Canada, they have set standards and if the food industry does not meet those standards, they cannot market these products.

This is the only country in the world where people eat fake, artificial, low quality food and don't even say anything about it.

I was reading about how McDonalds makes Chicken McNuggets here in the USA. In Europe and Canada,this process is banned by law because it is unhealthy, disgusting and prejudicial to health.

Chicken McNuggets are made with what they call "Mechanically separated chicken"- basically a mixture of chicken gizzards, eyeballs,and chicken bones that are ground, until they become a smooth, pink colored paste- this paste is pink because of all the chicken blood that goes into it. After this "paste" is done, it is infected with bacteria.

So, they treat this pink colored paste with ammonium hydroxide to kill all the bacteria- then add some chicken flavor to it, add some white coloring to it to make it "chicken like" and market it as "chicken"- Absolutely disgusting!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
YOU can green America all you want and it will not clean up the air and water and soil- CHINA- they have a billion people who want 60s style American living- they all want cars- once they have them- the black cloud of dirt will drift over this way..and fall on us also- even if we were all riding bikes it does not matter.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
In my opinion, it is very important for people to travel to other places to be able to see that there are different ways and sometimes better ways of doing things.

I visited a friend in the Netherlands a couple months ago, I had never been there before and I have to admit that riding a bicycle in the Netherlands was an amazing experience! I could not help but think of all the morbidly obese people I see at my local grocery store here in Iowa.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a woman at the store, I kid you not- this woman weighed at least 600 pounds- she could hardly walk, I have never seen anything more sad and depressing.

How can anybody think that something like that is "normal"?- What blows my mind is that in this American society, no one seems to give a ****.
What are we supposed to do? Arrest her and force feed her to comply to our notions as to what is correct?

Quote:
Instead of seeing this person as an abnormality(which is exactly what she is)- society tells this person that it is OK to be her- so that they can sell her all this BS weight loss crap, oversize clothes, all this "Big Beautiful Woman" BS- it is absolutely appalling!

I understand that the US and Europe are not the same, not even remotely closely, but there is so much that could be done better here in the USA to allow people like this woman to live a better, longer, healthier life.

Lastly, like someone mentioned, living in a place that offers no alternative means of transportation except a car-centric lifestyle is not FREEDOM, it is eternal servitude to the oil companies.
Where is it exactly that would force people to not ride their bikes?

Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Some of us like this country just the way it is, or was.
Let me guess, everything "was" great until Obama took over, right? Because the last 2 years of the Bush Administration were wonderful years! Please, vote for Mitt Romney, so that you can have your America back!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Some of us like this country just the way it is, or was. Many of us think that personal freedom is a great gift from our founders, and enjoy not being coerced into living in some leftwing nutjobs fantasy world.
And you're quite content to live in your wingnut fantasy world.

Unfortunately, "Freedom" means the freedom to also walk and bicycle SAFELY, which would mean capital improvements in urban planning.

But that theory is clearly lost on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies