Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Sorry but 5'3" 180 isn't in any way attractive or healthy.

OK, that's it! I'm sending your comment to Oprah.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Lots of people commute to the university on them.
And here Ladies and Gentlemen we see where this poster is coming from.....

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And here Ladies and Gentlemen we see where this poster is coming from.....
sure does put things in perspective.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I really have no clue why so many feel they must argue either or.
Talk to the OP - he framed the discussion that way, and has worked hard for over forty pages to maintain the division he sought to create. I have no problem with bike lanes. I do have a problem with people saying stupid things.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Sometimes it is hard to know if you are really this unenlightened or if it is just your City-Data persona. I don't care if this person wants to have 6 cars- it is an idiotic financial decision any way you look at it(I am an economist, by the way). I get tired of seeing so many financially ignorant people in this country who live in homes they can't afford, drive cars they can't afford, live in debt their entire lives- some work 2 jobs just to stay afloat- this lifestyle is for the birds!
You criticized the person with 6 cars without knowing their financial situation. Pretty dumb.

Some people with lots of expensive cars have NO debt.... and can afford big homes and fancy cars. Get over it.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmmm...... but rail only goes to a tiny percent of the desired destinations..... what next, everybody drives to the rail station to pick up their goods?
Personally I think in many instances that would be a great idea. In another thread I noted here locally the train runs right behind the local mall and Wall Mart. K-Mart and Sams just across the street. Lowes a couple places down.

I think it would be great to have the train deliver the items and have the store simply go over and load them onto trucks to take them to the store. The tracks are close enough that Wal-Mart likely could unload with a large truck.

It would be great to get some of the large trucks off the road.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Talk to the OP - he framed the discussion that way, and has worked hard for over forty pages to maintain the division he sought to create. I have no problem with bike lanes. I do have a problem with people saying stupid things.
Yes he did and I noted it more than once. To note that more would ride with better and safer means isn't stupid though.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
I'm as much of a lefty as the next guy, but when it comes to car-centric culture, i draw the line there. I can't stand these people who tell how we should live. If people want to live in the suburbs and drive everywhere, that is their right to do so. If you want to live in an area to walk and bike everywhere, be my guest, but please don't lecture us on what is best for us when it comes to choosing where we live.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
I think it would be great to have the train deliver the items and have the store simply go over and load them onto trucks to take them to the store. The tracks are close enough that Wal-Mart likely could unload with a large truck.
In the meantime, all the other trains on that track have to stop where they are and wait.

And what happens if they can't get that train unloaded in the window of time allotted? All those other trains are now running behind schedule.

Trains aren't trucks. You can't just stop them wherever you want to.

Trains are great for certain things, and they should be (and are) utilized where it's practical. They're completely impractical (if not downright impossible) for others. You also can't just lay track anywhere you want. If the grade is too steep, the train has no traction, and if you haven't noticed, we have a lot of mountains in this country.

Quote:
It would be great to get some of the large trucks off the road.
I disagree, but then I'm in that industry, so...

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If there is one thing about this country that makes absolutely no sense is this stupid, lazy, car-centric culture.

Something has definitely gone wrong here!
I note that the OP lives in Iowa. Perhaps it might interest him to know that Iowa, along with Illinois and Indana, once supported a strong network of what were called "interurban" trolley systems. These sytems developed in the years when mass production had not yet reduced the price of automobiles to the point where they were within the reach of most adults or families.

More than anything else, the increasing affordability of the personal auto killed these systems, but another factor during the years oftheir exisence which is no longer a factor today was the suspicion toward single women travelling alone, which lasted until the start of World war ii, and persisted even longer in some rural regions.

Interurban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking in part from personal experience, I can attest that the rise in fuel prices, particularly since 2005, has made "driving on impulse" considerably more expensive -- but that simple economic fact, rather than the government meddling some of us recall from the first energy squeeze of 1973-74, ought to ber enough to re-orient our transportation network, given time and a rational approach guided by real foresight rather than short-term political squabbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies