Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
...there's no pill that cures "stupid"....

Ride your little bike on the narrow ranch road I travel and some old rancher will give you a free shave with the telescoping mirror on his new dually.
LOL! That reminds me when I would cut between lanes on my motorcycle in California. I called them "killer mirrors" because they would clothesline you if you are not paying attention.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
ROFL! Well, at least the meat was well tenderized by the time you got the bear down the hill.

There are more black bears in Alaska than grizzlies or brown bears, but you could not tell that by my experience. In the 21 years I have lived in Alaska I have seen dozens of grizzlies and brown bears, but not a single black bear.

After I shot a mule deer in California in a deep ravine, I learned the hard way to determine how difficult it would be to get the critter out before taking the shot. Sometimes I have had the perfect shot and never took it because of the terrain. The easy part is shooting the critter. The hard part is all the work that comes afterwards.
Yeah me too I look for the little ones (white tail). The smaller the better too. More tender less labor..... mainly i have switched to birds woods chickens mainly

Although here i refer to these as The Great Nawth Merican Man Eatting Pat' Ridge!

In my time with mostly a side by side 12 I have taken far more than my fiar share of these... And these have some primal way to tawk, and relate to other birds over generations

Sometimes in a good covey I can bring down 5 with 2 shells, and once, only once I brought down 7, 2 over the limit with just 2 shells. I am not sure what I am supposed to do when that happens, but i do not self bust.

I have been attacked many many times by these birds too. Sometimes alone and sometimes with witnesses and sometimes the same witnesses on the same or a different day, and sometimes they attack people I know when I am not even there

No LIE

Really no lie....... One day the best time, i was telling a local garage man I sometimes worked with.for etc and like you are , or just were his face looked like this Don't lie to me either I know you were making that face over this tail too I just know it...

He was too you can bank on it..... I was being some what more specific to him however and relating a time when one of the attacks occurred and what happened. None of that matters as this time suddenly there was the sound of shattering glass his shop window next to me and one of them birds crash landed at my feet!

He was a Believer all of a sudden too! I just love it when something like that happens! I bent over and picked up the bird which was other wise in fine shape and took it out holding it to let it take flights after a good looking over to make sure it could still fly, since if it could it was headed to be dinner. But that one was fine and flew right off ....

I never did hunt bear again.........

Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If there is one thing about this country that makes absolutely no sense is this stupid, lazy, car-centric culture.

After having spent sometime in Europe, it is really hard to become one of the sheep- so I ride my bicycle to work everyday and there is nothing better!

I was comparing obesity rates in countries like Germany and the Netherlands-where walking and riding a bicycle is widespread and they are about 10%. The United States will have obesity rate of 75% by the year 2020.

Something has definitely gone wrong here!
That's awesome that you are able to ride your bike to work everyday, and have that choice to make. Unfortunately, I just don't have the ability to ride 36 miles one way to work I have been biking quite a bit this year and usually ride 5-10 miles a day (after work) I just haven't made it up to that 72 mile round trip yet. And if I do make it to that level, I'm not sure there is a good way to travel , here in MI pedal bikes aren't really allowed on freeways and that is pretty much the only way to take. I guess I could take 8 mile road BUT it's 3 lanes of crazy ass traffic and if that doesn't kill you then a stray bullet just might.
And the career choice I made over 20 years ago was being an automotive designer so that kind of limits the areas in the country where I can live , my family is from MI so I thought it might be a nice place to stay.. I really didn't have the biking in mind when I made the choice, how stupid of me!
Living in the middle of know where , you know where the obese , less tolerant , lower educated people live actually appeals to me.. it keeps me away from a lot of the higher educated snobby, hipster, self entitled people whom I choose not to be around. But due to the housing market and my lack of fore sight in choosing a "bike commutable" place to work , I'm sort of buried in my little abode that I purchased 10 years ago in a small community near a rather large inland lake. Again what was I thinking. Actually now that I look back, I've worked at about 5 different places thru out my career in this industry , one of them being out of state which REALLY limited my ability to bike to work. Come to think of it, I just picked the wrong damn career !
I guess I should not even mention the winter and some of the days that we got six plus inches of snow, or the below zero days or the 90 degree days in the summer.. that would just show how lazy I am wouldn't it.
Can you point me to the Cool-Aid stand you frequent ? Because I sure would love to drink some and maybe live in your dream world !

Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yeah me too I look for the little ones (white tail). The smaller the better too. More tender less labor..... mainly i have switched to birds woods chickens mainly
Me too, primarily grouse and ptarmigan. It has been three years since I took a caribou, and I have not hunted moose since 1996. I will only hunt moose with a partner these days, I can no longer hack it alone. I would like to hunt duck and geese, like I use to in Nebraska and South Dakota, but hunting them in musk keg in Alaska is nothing like hunting in corn fields in the lower-48.

Quote:
Although here i refer to these as The Great Nawth Merican Man Eatting Pat' Ridge!

In my time with mostly a side by side 12 I have taken far more than my fiar share of these... And these have some primal way to tawk, and relate to other birds over generations

Sometimes in a good covey I can bring down 5 with 2 shells, and once, only once I brought down 7, 2 over the limit with just 2 shells. I am not sure what I am supposed to do when that happens, but i do not self bust.
Bird hunting is the only time I carry three firearms. I have my Remington Model 570 with a 28" barrel and modified choke, a Mossberg Model 500 with an 18.5" rifled barrel and loaded with slugs, and finally a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag with a 7.5" barrel and special hand-loaded "bear" rounds.

Quote:
I have been attacked many many times by these birds too. Sometimes alone and sometimes with witnesses and sometimes the same witnesses on the same or a different day, and sometimes they attack people I know when I am not even there

No LIE

Really no lie....... One day the best time, i was telling a local garage man I sometimes worked with.for etc and like you are , or just were his face looked like this Don't lie to me either I know you were making that face over this tail too I just know it...

He was too you can bank on it..... I was being some what more specific to him however and relating a time when one of the attacks occurred and what happened. None of that matters as this time suddenly there was the sound of shattering glass his shop window next to me and one of them birds crash landed at my feet!

He was a Believer all of a sudden too! I just love it when something like that happens! I bent over and picked up the bird which was other wise in fine shape and took it out holding it to let it take flights after a good looking over to make sure it could still fly, since if it could it was headed to be dinner. But that one was fine and flew right off ....

I never did hunt bear again.........
So what you are saying is the Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" was actually a documentary.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
I have a friend in Seattle who is starting a non- profit to make American cities more bike and pedestrian friendly. Basically a committee of experts visits city X, they do an evaluation of how bike/pedestrian friendly the city is, come up with a compliance plan and give the city a timeframe to be fully compliant.

If the city does make the necessary changes, it goes on a Hall of Shame and they do PR work to discourage businesses from investing in those "non-compliant" cities. It is a very noble cause and just in the Seattle area, he has more than 10000 sympathizers and associates.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Quote:
I have a friend in Seattle who is starting a non- profit to make American cities more bike and pedestrian friendly. Basically a committee of experts visits city X, they do an evaluation of how bike/pedestrian friendly the city is, come up with a compliance plan and give the city a timeframe to be fully compliant.

If the city does make the necessary changes, it goes on a Hall of Shame and they do PR work to discourage businesses from investing in those "non-compliant" cities. It is a very noble cause and just in the Seattle area, he has more than 10000 sympathizers and associates.
So self proclaimed experts show up to a city, tell them they are doing everything wrong and what to do instead, give them a deadline, and smear campaign them if they don't comply? What a winning plan

Does your friend by any chance look/act like that EPA guy from ghost busters? That would make the plan even more effective.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
His"experts" have no legal "standing".. Nothing more than a joke.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:

Sounds more like a ship of fools..... Who gives these 'committee of experts' any authority what so ever?

Are you 12 years old?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You live in tabletop flat Iowa, and not everyone sees the appeal in biking for miles and miles in summers that are blistering hot and freezing winters. It's fine for city folk, who bike for short distances, but not for us suburban and rural dwellers. No thanks.
And biking in famous Iowa winters? Thank you, but no, thank you.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Who gives a crap about what form of transportation people use? Only some liberal with too much free time would care. One thing I love about this country is the freedom of choice.

If you drive a car, gas guzzling SUV, truck, scooter, motorcycle to work I don't care. Good for you. If you ride a train, subway, or bus to work, great!!! If you walk or ride a bike, good for you. Use the form of transportation that works best for you and your budget. My goodness, if you are blessed with a ton of money to spend on gas, by all means, buy a Hummer to get to work. I really don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies