Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM

377 posts, read 575,705 times

Advertisements

I'm realizing that this is a huge consideration today so I'm no longer going to vote for Jerusalem as the Capital City of Israel. I'm leaving it for Israel to decide. I've spent 3 weeks during Passover 1979 with World Zionist Organization. So I can picture it all in my head.

First of all comes the economics of the move, even more than the winning of hearts over minds. It's not a religious reason at all suddenly for me. That's because I just discovered that Tel-Aviv includes Jaffe. Israel is certainly completely different today than it was forty years ago. Now it seems to me like talking about the suburbs of the capital of the USA from the Maryland side and the Virginia side.

LookIsrael - Just How Big Is Israel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
I'm realizing that this is a huge consideration today so I'm no longer going to vote for Jerusalem as the Capital City of Israel.
If the Jews of Israel call Jerusalem their capital, then it is. It is not up to non-residents of Israel to choose it for them. It is not up to other countries or the UN to even recognize it as such as this is not done to any other country on the planet. Israel is an independent country and its their choice. Period.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:34 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,383 times
Jerusalem should be its own independent state like Vatican.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Jerusalem should be its own independent state like Vatican.
As part of the mandate it was supposed to be. But thanks to the war started by bordering arab countries it wasn't. The Arabs evicted all the Jews after the 1949 armistice and gave them no access to it. But look at today. Not only do Arabs have access, they have control over their sites in Jerusalem.

Quote:
In direct contravention of the 1949 armistice agreements, Jordan did not permit Jews access to their holy sites or to the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives.
Article VIII of the Israel Jordan Armistice Agreement (April 3, 1949) established a special committee which would “direct its attention to the formulation of agreed plans and arrangements” including “free access to the Holy Places and cultural institutions and use of the cemetery on the Mount of Olives.” Nevertheless, and despite numerous requests by Israeli officials and Jewish groups to the UN, the U.S., and others to attempt to enforce the armistice agreement, Jews were denied access to the Western Wall, the Jewish cemetery and all religious sites in eastern Jerusalem.

http://www.sixdaywar.org/content/jordanianocuupationjerusalem.asp

Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,234 times
Quote:
I'm realizing that this is a huge consideration today so I'm no longer going to vote for Jerusalem as the Capital City of Israel. I'm leaving it for Israel to decide. I've spent 3 weeks during Passover 1979 with World Zionist Organization. So I can picture it all in my head.

First of all comes the economics of the move, even more than the winning of hearts over minds. It's not a religious reason at all suddenly for me. That's because I just discovered that Tel-Aviv includes Jaffe. Israel is certainly completely different today than it was forty years ago. Now it seems to me like talking about the suburbs of the capital of the USA from the Maryland side and the Virginia side.

There are good religious reasons though. Jerusalem is the holy city for the three Abrahamic religions (yes Muslims have Mecca, but Mohammed first witnessed Allah upon the rock in Jerusalem, the advent of Islam itself.) It is the city of God. It should be a small independent micro nation in the realm of the Vatican. Israel's 20th century claim to it is nothing but Nationalism. I know that pisses some people off but try to step outside your own constructs to view the situation from other perspectives.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:18 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:

Israel already decided years ago that Jerusalem is its capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies