Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I see kids at school with the latest cell phones, iPods, sneakers, etc.
Yet they have no pencils, paper or notebooks. Asked why they don't have any.."school gives them to us".
Thats pretty much my point. Neither one of my kids have cell phones, I know where they are at all times, and can simply call their friends house when they are there. Its that or school, and I'm sure in hell not going to call them while they are there.

But these very people never have any other things they need. I ended up buying 2 of my daughters friends school supplies this year, and 1 of my sons, and just 2 weeks ago I donated 100,000 sheets of paper to their school.

One friend of theirs is financing an inground swimming pool instillation for a home they rent.

Why do poor people make such dumb moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
From the post, I got the impression that he was having a conversation with this woman himself. Of course he wouldn't have a link to post in that case.
Oh, I don't have a link either, I heard it on the radio.
Does anyone believe any of these RW threads? except R W's?
Trust me, Faux News said the sky was falling.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I've been working in poor schools. I'd say probably 1/2 live quite high off the hog by just observing their clothes and gadgets. And I used to think it was just a few or handful and the stories you read or hear about were these one off cases.

But once you see the reality of it, it really gets under your skin. The kids themselves don't know any better. They are too young to fully understand what is going on. But their parents do.....

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What in my OP made it a right wing thread? Only lefties who are poor buying the new ipads? Seriously, stop being so dumb. Yeah, I said she was an Obama supporter, but clearly she could just as well be voting Romney and the stupidity wouldnt be any different.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but its just crazy..

I was listening to a single mom this morning, one who always complains about how difficult life is to raise a child about how she cant earn enough money to pay the bills (of course a huge Obama supporter), who believes she's poor because Republicans are killing unions and without them, she wouldnt have a job, and she was complaining about how long it was taking to not only update her brand new ipad, but also her daughters..

Dont get me wrong, I've got no problem with people spending their own money, but seriously, whats a 10 year old need a brand new ipad for, and wouldnt the money be better spent buying things like FOOD?
What you're describing is a common and well-understood psychological coping mechanism.

For people who live with the big benchmarks of success (e.g. homeownership) forever out of reach, smaller markers of success--expensive clothes, expensive electronics--often become extremely important. Not only do they offer comfort, they signal success to the outside world.

Is it rational, for a purely cost/benefit analysis? No, of course not. But it does give people some psychic satisfaction.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Deflection at its worst.
Do you believe that people who cant afford to pay their bills should buy luxury items like Ipads?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but its just crazy..

I was listening to a single mom this morning, one who always complains about how difficult life is to raise a child about how she cant earn enough money to pay the bills (of course a huge Obama supporter), who believes she's poor because Republicans are killing unions and without them, she wouldnt have a job, and she was complaining about how long it was taking to not only update her brand new ipad, but also her daughters..

Dont get me wrong, I've got no problem with people spending their own money, but seriously, whats a 10 year old need a brand new ipad for, and wouldnt the money be better spent buying things like FOOD?

Someone is making money right now. The stock markets up now, right? But are people feeling it on the street? No, its all the extra earnings being passed on to the stock holders.

But this woman, and many others will never buy stock. Thats why they turn to unions to represent them to spread the profits that others are seeing down to the worker level.

But a huge reason why that money hasn't made the market explode is the election.

We are getting dangerously close to expecting things to change now, today, and thats not how the economy works.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM

407 posts, read 829,820 times
My best friend is like that. Right when he gets paid, he'll run to the mall and blow it on the first new 'toy' he could find, while letting the bills keep mounting up.

But when the debt collectors started to call, it was always excuse after excuse, and always somebody else to blame

Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The schools here are giving the kids free iPads.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The schools here are giving the kids free iPads.
How much cheaper is an ebook? How often can an ebook be updated with the latest information?

Hell some of the science books I had, didn't mention man going to the moon yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies