Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Deflection at its worst.
Do you believe that people who cant afford to pay their bills should buy luxury items like Ipads?
The USA is headed from some big trouble.

People on food stamps and in Section 8 have no trouble coming up with money for new iPhones and unlimited data plans, but they expect the taxpayers to support them when it comes to the necessities.

You would have to look pretty hard to find a child today that doesn't have a cell phone and usually smart phone or iPhone so they can sit in school and play games and text each other.

Americans apparently will not work in factories, fast food restaurants, construction, nor of course work in farming -- liberals will be the first ones to tell you that but now we see that Microsoft cannot fill 6000 high paying jobs with Americans even while many complain they have big college loans to pay off.

We've become a society where a large and growing number are perfectly content to live off the government handouts, they no longer care about jobs whatsoever as long as unemployment extensions keep coming. A large portion of the voters truly believes there is no problem at all in how many people live off the government and don't think any amount of national debt could ever be too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but its just crazy..

I was listening to a single mom this morning, one who always complains about how difficult life is to raise a child about how she cant earn enough money to pay the bills (of course a huge Obama supporter), who believes she's poor because Republicans are killing unions and without them, she wouldnt have a job, and she was complaining about how long it was taking to not only update her brand new ipad, but also her daughters..

Dont get me wrong, I've got no problem with people spending their own money, but seriously, whats a 10 year old need a brand new ipad for, and wouldnt the money be better spent buying things like FOOD?
Maybe she meant her credit card bills?

Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

People on food stamps and in Section 8 have no trouble coming up with money for new iPhones and unlimited data plans, but they expect the taxpayers to support them when it comes to the necessities.

You would have to look pretty hard to find a child today that doesn't have a cell phone and usually smart phone or iPhone so they can sit in school and play games and text each other.

Americans apparently will not work in factories, fast food restaurants, construction, nor of course work in farming -- liberals will be the first ones to tell you that but now we see that Microsoft cannot fill 6000 high paying jobs with Americans even while many complain they have big college loans to pay off.

We've become a society where a large and growing number are perfectly content to live off the government handouts, they no longer care about jobs whatsoever as long as unemployment extensions keep coming. A large portion of the voters truly believes there is no problem at all in how many people live off the government and don't think any amount of national debt could ever be too much.
Very true. Even where I work. A factory... People get bent out of shape when I enforce the company policy of no cell phones on the production floor.
Common excuses.
What if my family has an emergency?
I point to the phone on the floor. and say 570-XXX-XXXX You were given the number when you were assigned to the line.
Well what if I need to call my wife?
I say 3 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch knock yourself out.
It amazes me how people can not live without their cell phones. LOL I threw mine away a long time ago and still dont miss it.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

It's NOT just people on welfare. Plenty of Americans are living way beyond their means.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
But you didnt address the thread topic.
Do you agree those who can't afford to pay their bills should be buying expensive luxury items like ipads and the latest cellphones etc.?
How would this be any different from a family where they can't afford clothes and shoes and food for their kids, yet daddy has an arsenal of weapons in his bedroom with enough ammo to start a militia? Or how about the ones who leverage their food stamp funds to buy drugs, alcohol, or pot? Someone who is buying technology kind of pales in comparison, dontcha think? And that is the beauty of freedom in our country - we can be indebted for whatever reason we choose. Spend the money you don't have - it's the American way. How you spend it is your choice.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
No links huh?
I was listening to Faux News this morning, they said the sky was falling!
what, nobody believes me???!!!!
You don't recall a time when there was no such thing as "links"?

Are you 12 years old?

Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's NOT just people on welfare. Plenty of Americans are living way beyond their means.
But if they aren't on welfare or demanding a government bailout then they must be living within their means. Even if one has some debt but plans to pay the debt off oneself, he is living within his means or future means.

I find it incredible how much money so many people are willing to pay for just a phone or toy for their kid.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:39 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
You want me to link to a conversation I had with a friend of mine?

Maybe some people need everything spelled out for them.

Let me guess, you're voting Obama?
They don't actually stop and read so just ignore them. No compehenday'

Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
I know this is anecdotal, but its just crazy..

I was listening to a single mom this morning, one who always complains about how difficult life is to raise a child about how she cant earn enough money to pay the bills (of course a huge Obama supporter), who believes she's poor because Republicans are killing unions and without them, she wouldnt have a job, and she was complaining about how long it was taking to not only update her brand new ipad, but also her daughters..

Dont get me wrong, I've got no problem with people spending their own money, but seriously, whats a 10 year old need a brand new ipad for, and wouldnt the money be better spent buying things like FOOD?
Such items are not luxury. They are technology. Simply a tool.

Many use them in place of computers and for communication etc... Often they are more cost effective for multi-functions.

This really is a silly topic.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just about everybody is living beyond their means. The entire country is in debt up to their eyeballs, this is also global. The government invest in keeping people in debt. This is why a debt based economy is unhealthy and unsustainable.

Having the 99% in debt to the 1% simply can't be sustained long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies