Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its unimaginable now, but considering less than 50% of young adults today consider themselves Christian and the rhetoric coming from most young people is that religion, especially Christianity is an evil, despicable belief system that has done nothing but hold society back from progress, is it possible that when today's twentysomethings get into power we could start seeing government regulation of religion? Certain things are almost certain in the next 30 years, such as churches no longer being tax exempt, Christian holidays being removed from our list of national holidays, and possibly the banning of religious symbolism/imagery where viewable by the public, but can/will it go farther than that? Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals? Considering most on this forum are in that young twentysomething age group and are strong atheist, what do you want to see for the future of religion in this country?
All other political reasons aside, if we give more power to Muslim extremists via Sharia Law (i.e. the UK, Spain, etc), count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
All other political reasons aside, if we give more power to Muslim extremists via Sharia Law (i.e. the UK, Spain, etc), count on it.
This is one thing people don't realize. In white, enlightened, secular Europe, Islam is spreading like wildfire while Christianity is dying. In a few decades, we may no longer be looking at a post-Christian Europe but a rising Islamic Europe. When America goes post-Christian, which it will in the coming decades, unless a secular dictator comes to power, which is possible, Islam could start spreading more in America as well. Islam is also the one religion which seems to get a pass from the secular progressives. They will defend it to the death while mocking and shaming Christians.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals?
Why should it? There isn't anything about homosexuals in it.

There are about 37,000 verses in the Bible (depending on which version).
There are about 5 poorly interpreted lines that have been taken out of context to use to condemn modern gay and lesbian people.

The Bible was used to condone slavery and rascism.
The Bible has been used to support anti-semitism.
The Bible was used to support subjugation of women (and still is by some religious conservatives).

It's been used to support a lot of hateful practices.

But it's not 'hate literature' itself.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
illegal.. no..

remove tax exempt status? absolutely.. jesus is big business in this country.. it's disgusting

Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
illegal.. no..

remove tax exempt status? absolutely.. jesus is big business in this country.. it's disgusting
Should Muhammad lose his tax exempt status as well?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
By the time Christianity is criminalized, most liberals will support its criminalization and moderates will be indifferent. It won't happen anytime soon but if America stays on its current path, this could easily be an issue come the election of 2040. All they would have to do to get around the First Amendment is convince the public that Christian beliefs were harming children and a danger to society to an extent that they wouldn't be covered by the First Amendment the same as some fringe religious beliefs are today (such as child beating, soon to be extended to spanking).
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
illegal.. no..

Who can forget Jim and Tammy Baker

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble - www.theage.com.au

Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
He's dead. How can he pay taxes?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
absolutely!
this notion that liberals favor muslims over christians is ridiculous... liberals speak out in favor of muslims only to prove a point, because most of the things christians are pointing fingers at muslims for they've been guilty of themselves.. it's all nonsense as far as I'm concerned, but if someone wishes to follow.. get after it.. but don't expect to "build an empire for god" and not pay taxes...
try living out here in the interior west.. where the Mormon church owns newspapers, tv stations, land, and all sorts of things that have NO relation to "salvation" in which they teach.. is it a religion? sure.. but is it an enterprise with a political and social agenda? absolutely... and their tithing (income) is 100 percent tax free..
sounds like a good business to get into to me... sell some jesus or joseph smith or allah... get that money!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Perhaps belief in the type of extremist fundamentalist Christianity which wants to teach 6000 year old earth Creationism as a science in public schools, will be diagnosed as a mental illness. These people can then get therapy.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
You attack Christians but you don't answer the question. I could say liberals are the whiners because they cry and carry on about presence of religion in public that they could ignore if they wanted to (which I don't understand why its so hard if its something you don't even believe in), or that gays and their allies are whiners because they cry and carry on about people that think gay sex isnt something to be celebrated, but I don't because its best to respect all points of views. Liberal version of tolerance: think like we do or be mocked, ridiculed, and humiliated.
You have the "Liberal view" rather skewed. I am liberal and do NOT want taxes spent on religious icons, cerrmonies, symbols . I do not want my taxes spent on YOUR religion.....why can't you understand that?

Why do you think it's OK to steal money from others for YOUR religion???

You are FREE to celebrate any religious holiday and YOU can NOT prove anyone has taken away anything from you. Your religious activities have not been curtailed at all unless they impose on other's rights. Why do you think YOUR rights are more important than other's????

"""""""""""""""Christian" point of view : WE RULE! WE ARE THE ONLY RELIGION! BOW DOWN before US and OUR GOD and WORSHIP as WE say! YOU have NO CHOICE!

RELIGIOUS FREEDOM IS BAD!!!!

YOU MUST HAVE ONLY OUR religion!!! """""""""""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies