Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

Hey Gizmo, are there any 'fundamentalist' type Jewish groups who want to force public schools to teach a 6000 yr old earth and Creationism in science classes instead of Evolution?
Maybe some Haredi Jews (Ultra Orthodox), but they're relatively uncommon in the United States. The overwhelming majority of Jews in the US are Reform (Liberal) and considering Jews have largely rejected a literal Genesis since at least Medieval times, not really an issue for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Ah yes, the use of the Christian version of the Bible to support vilifying and persecuting Jews as Christ-killers and baby sacrifers for the last 2000 years. And only last century the support of the Nazi regime and the Holocaust by the churches. The current Holocaust deniers....

Hey Gizmo, are there any 'fundamentalist' type Jewish groups who want to force public schools to teach a 6000 yr old earth and Creationism in science classes instead of Evolution?
Not that I'm aware of, in fact Jews are OVER-represented when it comes to higher/post-graduate education (in schools where they generally teach the scientific versions of history & anthropology). There are Jewish "fundies" in this country & worldwide, but they choose private Jewish schooling or homeschooling over forcing their beliefs on others.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Maybe some Haredi Jews (Ultra Orthodox), but they're relatively uncommon in the United States. The overwhelming majority of Jews in the US are Reform (Liberal) and considering Jews have largely rejected a literal Genesis since at least Medieval times, not really an issue for us.
Yep. I'm a Reform Jew myself, and while my sister's kids now attend Jewish day school, they will be switching to a non-religious (private) school after pre-K.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its unimaginable now, but considering less than 50% of young adults today consider themselves Christian and the rhetoric coming from most young people is that religion, especially Christianity is an evil, despicable belief system that has done nothing but hold society back from progress, is it possible that when today's twentysomethings get into power we could start seeing government regulation of religion? Certain things are almost certain in the next 30 years, such as churches no longer being tax exempt, Christian holidays being removed from our list of national holidays, and possibly the banning of religious symbolism/imagery where viewable by the public, but can/will it go farther than that? Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals? Considering most on this forum are in that young twentysomething age group and are strong atheist, what do you want to see for the future of religion in this country?
I'm not a religious person, so perhaps I am not a good person to answer this question, but I have never considered Christianity in and of itself to be an "evil, despicable belief system." That observation makes me ask, does the OP have any evidence that this particularly disdainful belief is prevalent among twenty-somethings? If so, I'd like to see such evidence, and I'd add that merely not subscribing to a belief is not evidence that such a belief has been somehow mocked or publicly disavowed in any meaningful way.

In what meaningful ways have religious (read:Christian) holidays been discounted in the U.S.? Just to stick to the Judeo-Christian side of things, when was the last time the OP respected people who observed Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashannah? The majority of the U.S. population is Christian, and they have their needs catered to at every turn. Attempts to portray them as an oppressed class reek of the stench of the privileged claiming to be oppressed. You are the majority, and the fact that some people disagree with you, and I am not necessarily one of them, is the price of being an adult. I'm really hoping that some of you will answer the questions I've posed here.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not that I'm aware of, in fact Jews are OVER-represented when it comes to higher/post-graduate education (in schools where they generally teach the scientific versions of history & anthropology). There are Jewish "fundies" in this country & worldwide, but they choose private Jewish schooling or homeschooling over forcing their beliefs on others.
That's what I thought.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
Most young people feel that it is decidedly un-cool to be a Christian these days.

something to do with not being allowed to have sex, lol

I think the Church needs to evolve like most things - evolve or die.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I'm not a religious person, so perhaps I am not a good person to answer this question, but I have never considered Christianity in and of itself to be an "evil, despicable belief system." That observation makes me ask, does the OP have any evidence that this particularly disdainful belief is prevalent among twenty-somethings? If so, I'd like to see such evidence, and I'd add that merely not subscribing to a belief is not evidence that such a belief has been somehow mocked or publicly disavowed in any meaningful way.

In what meaningful ways have religious (read:Christian) holidays been discounted in the U.S.? Just to stick to the Judeo-Christian side of things, when was the last time the OP respected people who observed Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashannah? The majority of the U.S. population is Christian, and they have their needs catered to at every turn. Attempts to portray them as an oppressed class reek of the stench of the privileged claiming to be oppressed. You are the majority, and the fact that some people disagree with you, and I am not necessarily one of them, is the price of being an adult. I'm really hoping that some of you will answer the questions I've posed here.
It kind of sounds like there are some Christians (certainly not all or even most) who are acting like spoilt brats because they've had everything their way for so long and had all the attention. Perhaps it's time for these tantrumming dummy spitting toddlers to learn some empathy and how to share like adults.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
Psychology should become the new religion.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
The abolitionist movement was not started by left wing liberals but rather christians who thought slavery to be wrong. We could go on and on.
Right around the 1850s there was a split within American Protestantism between 'Northern' Protestantism and 'Southern' Protestantism. Guess what particular issue was the greatest reason for the split?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its unimaginable now, but considering less than 50% of young adults today consider themselves Christian and the rhetoric coming from most young people is that religion, especially Christianity is an evil, despicable belief system that has done nothing but hold society back from progress, is it possible that when today's twentysomethings get into power we could start seeing government regulation of religion? Certain things are almost certain in the next 30 years, such as churches no longer being tax exempt, Christian holidays being removed from our list of national holidays, and possibly the banning of religious symbolism/imagery where viewable by the public, but can/will it go farther than that? Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals? Considering most on this forum are in that young twentysomething age group and are strong atheist, what do you want to see for the future of religion in this country?

Well first I wanna know where you see that most young people see Christianity as evil.

Second, no, its simply a fairy tale that people realize doesn't have a good message. Anti homosexual marriage, getting into peoples bedrooms, effecting politics to enforce Christian dogma. That's evil.

All we have to do is enforce the "congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion".

You do that, problem goes away.

No one is trying to outlaw any religion, except Islam in Tennessee. They want Christians to have less political influence, when they should have had none already.

To quote Madison, both politics and religion are kept purist, when they are kept separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies