Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times

Advertisements

Religion will never be illegal in America because there are just way too many charlatans who depend on it to make a living. I can't wait for the day when this country finally realizes that religion is nothing but BS- This happened in Europe around the 1950's- We are only about 60 years behind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Religion will never be illegal in America because there are just way too many charlatans who depend on it to make a living. I can't wait for the day when this country finally realizes that religion is nothing but BS- This happened in Europe around the 1950's- We are only about 60 years behind!

You'll be dead before this country finally realizes that religion is nothing but BS.

Keep on hating.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:30 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
The OP could have equally asked if Islam will be illegal in America in the future.

I don't get this assault on Christianity or any religion in America.

It makes me wonder.

Don't these ponderers have anything better to wonder about?

I would suggest that jobs could be on top of the list. But, no. Will Democrats outlaw Christianity?

Disgusting thread.
If anything, their kind will attempt to outlaw athiesm. After all, they insist on inserting their religious beliefs into the political spectrum at every turn.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 AM

83 posts, read 79,508 times
Um.

If by illegal, you mean "Younger people, many of whom have been subjected to some deeply pathological versions of Christianity in their upbringings, will rediscover the profound wisdom of keeping some wise separation between church and state", then yes. That probably feels like illegal to you, the same way that not being able to make non-religious kids read bibles in school makes you feel like Christianity has been made illegal.

But I highly doubt much more than than will happen - protection of religious belief and expression is in the first amendment, which, aside from NRA members and 10th amendment Ron Paul lovers, is usually consider the most vital of amendments for our culture.

I know some of you have a really hard time understanding that liberals, at large, can at once 1) say unkind things about unpleasant Christians, sometimes using unfairly generalizing language, while 2) still vehemently supporting freedom of religion. I know that's not really your way - I've seen how many of you talk about Muslims, so maybe you're projecting a little bit. But I promise it's not only possible, but true! Most liberals really, honestly, truly don't want government involved with getting rid of religion! They really don't! They actually really and truly do believe in separation of church and state, which not only protects the state from churches, but also protects churches from the state!

A small segment of angry atheists want to see Christianity gone, it's true, but they don't want to use government to do it - they're certain that the persuasive power of their arguments will win the day. A much larger segment of liberals simply doesn't care as long as they're being left alone - many of them have religious convictions but see it as a personal matter.

Seriously you guys... so much crazy talk. You know, if you turned off the talk radio and made friends with some actual liberals, you might find that your blood pressure drops significantly. The world some of you believe exists is just both terrifying and absurd.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You claim to have studied the Bible but think that the gospel will become irrelevant?

I think that you need to do some better studying. Start with the book of Revelation. That work pretty much makes your "irrelevant" idea seem entirely silly.
You seriously think the Book of Revelation is relevant to the 21st century?

It was written by someone who called themselves John, to seven churches in Asia (Turkey). It was referring to events at that time. Specifically the Roman Empire.

"I think that you need to do some better studying" - Especially where the author writes "Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand" and "behold, I come quickly". Almost 2000 years later and you people are still waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This thread should spur me to get my teaching credential and focus on American history in my further studies. It is sad to think that many high school graduates are not learning about the centrality of religious liberty to the success of our republic. I blame their history teachers and vow that I won't allow that to happen if I ever teach.
Let's hope you get 'Raptured' first

Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You'll be dead before this country finally realizes that religion is nothing but BS.

So about 40 or 50 yrs then?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:03 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Christianity will not be illegal as long as the First Amendment remains in the Constitution. But I am all for lifting tax exemptions and any other indirect state subsidies to religious bodies.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Illegal? No.

Irrelevant? Eventually.
When you die please let me know how irrelevant it is.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 AM

[quote=Jaymax;26312056]You seriously think the Book of Revelation is relevant to the 21st century?

It was written by someone who called themselves John, to seven churches in Asia (Turkey). It was referring to events at that time. Specifically the Roman Empire.

"I think that you need to do some better studying" - Especially where the author writes "Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand" and "behold, I come quickly". Almost 2000 years later and you people are still waiting?

Hey Jaymax: You do not know the day or the hour. All the Nostradamusus are no match for almighty God.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post
Um.

If by illegal, you mean "Younger people, many of whom have been subjected to some deeply pathological versions of Christianity in their upbringings, will rediscover the profound wisdom of keeping some wise separation between church and state", then yes. That probably feels like illegal to you, the same way that not being able to make non-religious kids read bibles in school makes you feel like Christianity has been made illegal.

But I highly doubt much more than than will happen - protection of religious belief and expression is in the first amendment, which, aside from NRA members and 10th amendment Ron Paul lovers, is usually consider the most vital of amendments for our culture.

I know some of you have a really hard time understanding that liberals, at large, can at once 1) say unkind things about unpleasant Christians, sometimes using unfairly generalizing language, while 2) still vehemently supporting freedom of religion. I know that's not really your way - I've seen how many of you talk about Muslims, so maybe you're projecting a little bit. But I promise it's not only possible, but true! Most liberals really, honestly, truly don't want government involved with getting rid of religion! They really don't! They actually really and truly do believe in separation of church and state, which not only protects the state from churches, but also protects churches from the state!

A small segment of angry atheists want to see Christianity gone, it's true, but they don't want to use government to do it - they're certain that the persuasive power of their arguments will win the day. A much larger segment of liberals simply doesn't care as long as they're being left alone - many of them have religious convictions but see it as a personal matter.

Seriously you guys... so much crazy talk. You know, if you turned off the talk radio and made friends with some actual liberals, you might find that your blood pressure drops significantly. The world some of you believe exists is just both terrifying and absurd.
I actually think that you believe everything that you wrote. However, you have not been very observant of the actions that our Gov't has been taking against religion. Praying in school? Wearing a cross or religious attire? The list goes on and on. Libs think that they need to protect others from Christians while it is the Christians who are getting persecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies