U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM

31,705 posts, read 32,506,665 times

Advertisements

Obama does not support blasphemy laws...

"We do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs," Obama said. "Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views - even views we disagree with.

"We do so," he went on, "because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can become a tool to silence critics or oppress minorities." He added, "On this we must agree: There is no speech that justifies mindless violence."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,062,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

"We do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs," Obama said. "Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views - even views we disagree with.

"We do so," he went on, "because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can become a tool to silence critics or oppress minorities." He added, "On this we must agree: There is no speech that justifies mindless violence."

Then please explain exactly WHY the Obama administration pushed for and then voted in favor of the UN's anti-blasphemy resolution?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM

6,235 posts, read 4,822,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
And what exactly is wrong with speaking out against hate speech? Can you imagine how different the 20th century would have been for example of German citizens had spoken out against bigotry and blasphemy targeting Jews?

Maybe you prefer to sit by and do nothing, I prefer to speak up and say that it is wrong. Remember? They came for the Jews and I said nothing because I am not a Jew; they came for the Catholics and I said nothing becuase i am not a Catholic; when they came for me there was no one left to say anything.
You obviously missed the whole point - try again! Calling Muhammad a false prophet or a murderer is blasphemous against Isalm. I do speak against him and that hatred and the Muslims elevation of this pathetic human being they deem as noble and worthy of following. Maybe if people would have done this more vigorously instead of apologizing there would be less injustices done in behalf of this psychopath.

Woddruff's comments are hyprocritical and illogical - that is the main point.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Then please explain exactly WHY the Obama administration pushed for and then voted in favor of the UN's anti-blasphemy resolution?
Prove that he did first...Never mind I will prove that you are wrong instead....

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States told a UN human rights body on Monday it considered freedom of religion inseparable from free expression, countering calls from many Islamic countries for a treaty outlawing blasphemy.

European countries, the United States and several Latin American nations in the council opposed the resolutions, arguing that while individual people have human rights, religions do not, and that existing U.N. pacts - if enforced - were sufficient to curb incitement to hatred and violence.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-says-best-pr...175004101.html

Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM

44,884 posts, read 28,888,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
And what exactly is wrong with speaking out against hate speech? Can you imagine how different the 20th century would have been for example of German citizens had spoken out against bigotry and blasphemy targeting Jews?

Maybe you prefer to sit by and do nothing, I prefer to speak up and say that it is wrong. Remember? They came for the Jews and I said nothing because I am not a Jew; they came for the Catholics and I said nothing becuase i am not a Catholic; when they came for me there was no one left to say anything.
About how much freedom of speech existed in Germany when the Jews were blamed for everything bad in the country? No comparison to how we have enforced our freedoms of speech but then some will try to compare them.

Do you know what blasphemy is to a Muslim? It is anything not in support of Allah and Mohammed. Now tell me how you take away our freedom of speech with an anti-blasphemy law. Please explain that when you find it possible.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM

44,884 posts, read 28,888,418 times
Quote:

He sure talks the talk but I am not so sure how he walks the walk. Is that understandable?

Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM

11,531 posts, read 8,974,776 times
What is the law and what is the punishment for breaking the law?

Ths thread is bs, there is no law, at least not in the US, perhaps in Saudia Arabia, but that's their business

Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
He sure talks the talk but I am not so sure how he walks the walk. Is that understandable?
Why so you people feel it is necessary to distort the truth? I suppose that is the way politics work in the US though...I just proved that Obama did NOT do what the OP claimed, he does stand by what he says.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:55 PM

11,531 posts, read 8,974,776 times
Quote:

Another bs troll thread.

There are no blasphemy laws in the US, don't know about other countries.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,660,841 times
Hey OP. Free speech does not include plagiarizing the writings of others:

PBS NewsHour Omits Obama's Support for Blasphemy Law | NewsBusters.org

Get some ethics and thoughts of your own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or