Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,980,515 times

Advertisements

A couple weeks back, I was bored and decided to interject myself into one of the numerous Facebook debates on same sex marriage. Below is an exact copy and paste of what I posted.

Quote:
I can solve this issue in about 2 minutes:

- Remove any and all references to "marriage" from local, state and federal governments. Replace with civil unions, domestic partnerships, or whatever the hell you want to call it, as long as we don't call it marriage. This comes with the same rights and benefits of marriage, and basically IS marriage with a name change. The union can be entered into by any two adults of legal age.

- All existing "marriages" are rolled over into this new category to join new marriages.

- Those who wish to have their union "blessed" as a marriage by a religious establishment would be free to do so. Every religious establishment would then be free to decide if they wanted to perform "marriages" for same sex couples.

Real simple solution. Same sex couples get the rights and benefits of marriage they want and are entitled to and the religious types get to keep the sanctity of the word "marriage" in the scope of whatever religion they want and everyone is happy.
Surprisingly enough, both sides of the debate seemed to find this to be an acceptable solution. Likewise, I've posted this quote in a couple other threads directed at two other posters here on this forum, and so far both posters (who were obviously against SSM) basically refused to answer the question. I'm interested to get some discussion on it though, so I'll pose the question to the whole forum.

Pretty simple really. If you're against same sex marriage, tell us whether or not you could support my compromise. If not, explain why.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM

14,366 posts, read 9,745,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
A couple weeks back, I was bored and decided to interject myself into one of the numerous Facebook debates on same sex marriage. Below is an exact copy and paste of what I posted.

Surprisingly enough, both sides of the debate seemed to find this to be an acceptable solution. Likewise, I've posted this quote in a couple other threads directed at two other posters here on this forum, and so far both posters (who were obviously against SSM) basically refused to answer the question. I'm interested to get some discussion on it though, so I'll pose the question to the whole forum.

Pretty simple really. If you're against same sex marriage, tell us whether or not you could support my compromise. If not, explain why.
Many of us have already said that civil unions are fine. It's the idea of calling a man and a woman "married" that seems to be the biggest problem. If a civil union is no different, except in name, why is there such a problem?

Old 09-30-2012, 11:10 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Many of us have already said that civil unions are fine. It's the idea of calling a man and a woman "married" that seems to be the biggest problem. If a civil union is no different, except in name, why is there such a problem?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Of course, I already know the answer deep down.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,243,278 times
Quote:
Senseless.

If the name doesn't matter, then why do some people have a problem with calling it a marriage?
If the name matters, then one can see why there is a problem with not granting it the title of 'marriage'.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,588,696 times
Quote:
Most people want to feel equal to the majority or dominant groups of society. By calling them "civil unions", many people will think of their unions as inherently unequal.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,490,946 times
Default sisters unite

LOL - compromise?

Though I am attracted to the idea of "any two adults" - because if our husbands die off first, my sister and I could enjoin our 'union' benefits.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,802,701 times
Gay is gay....it doesn't matter if they are married or not. It's still not what I want my kids to see. Many unliberated couples feel the same way. Put your big girl panties and big boy shorts on and deal with it.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,947,208 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, too many of those who oppose same-sex marriage also oppose civil unions -- which is why the move to legalize them in Colorado earlier this year was blocked by Republican legislators, and why North Carolina banned civil unions (along with same-sex marriage) in May. The National Organization for Marriage, the main national organization opposing same-sex marriage, opposes civil unions.

Republicans block civil unions push in Colorado special session | Fox News
North Carolina voters ban gay marriage, civil unions | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Civil unions is not a compromise. The only reason some opponents of same-sex marriage ever accept it is because they perceive it as a 'lesser evil' than same-sex marriage. Take away same-sex marriage as an option, and most of the "I oppose same-sex marriage but, OK, I'll go along with civil unions just to stave off same-sex marriages" bargaining collapses.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,588,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Gay is gay....it doesn't matter if they are married or not. It's still not what I want my kids to see. Many unliberated couples feel the same way. Put your big girl panties and big boy shorts on and deal with it.
And you'll have to deal with the fact that many people ARE comfortable with gay couples. And your kids will be exposed to it simply by participating in life. It's not going to simply disappear because you don't like it.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,802,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And you'll have to deal with the fact that many people ARE comfortable with gay couples. And your kids will be exposed to it simply by participating in life. It's not going to simply disappear because you don't like it.
Not around here my friend. In fact I would say 95% oppose it.

singing about trucks - YouTube

Last edited by Riverboat Gambler; 09-30-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.