Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You say you don't claim that 'conversion therapy' works. Do you think parents should be allowed to force their children to go undergo this so-called 'therapy' when it has been proven over and over to not only be completely ineffective, but harmful?
That is correct I did not claim it works or doesn't work, that had nothing to do with what the other poster claimed and was not what i was speaking about. As i said, it's about taking rights away from parents when it comes to their kids well being.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I haven't seen any facts, therory, opinion and junk science but no facts.
Just curious, but what makes it junk science? You know, besides the fact that you don't like the results.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Just curious, but what makes it junk science? You know, besides the fact that you don't like the results.
Because it is only a therory, there are no hard facts to back any of it up it's only opinion. There is no medical or physical test which can prove it.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
He actually already has told her. I completely agree on this, if somebody has once identified as gay and no longer does, its imperative he expose this information to his girlfriend/fiance before getting married.

Few people are 0 or 6. Most people are 1-2 or 4-5, though many straight and gay identifying people would never admit the slight inclination towards the same or opposite sex depending on their sexual identity. If somebody was a 4 or a 5 and could possibly become a 2 or a 3, that would be a success for somebody who's religion does not permit them to have homosexual relations.
On what do you base that claim? The Kinsey scale is not a bell curve.

Of all of the studies I've read, the vast majority of people are a 0 (exclusively attracted to the opposite sex). 6's would make up a few percent, and the rest would be somewhere on the scale. But a few percent is not a 'few people'. If only 2% of the population of the US are exclusively attracted to the same sex, (and that's a very low figure) that's more than six million people.

Last edited by Ceist; 10-01-2012 at 12:42 AM..

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
I know someone that went through it in utah... it is absolutely horrible.. and it is abuse.. it's abuse where the person signs up for it out of so much self loathing for who they are.. brought on by the likes of some of these right wing posters... some of you are disgusting people... If u really knew what was involved in some of these conversion therapies you wouldn't support them.. even if it was for jesus.. it's sick and wrong.. people do not choose their sexuality.. evidence supports that.. anyone that thinks otherwise is either uninformed, ignorant, a bigot, or all of the above.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 AM

684 posts, read 825,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I know someone that went through it in utah... it is absolutely horrible.. and it is abuse.. it's abuse where the person signs up for it out of so much self loathing for who they are.. brought on by the likes of some of these right wing posters... some of you are disgusting people... If u really knew what was involved in some of these conversion therapies you wouldn't support them.. even if it was for jesus.. it's sick and wrong.. people do not choose their sexuality.. evidence supports that.. anyone that thinks otherwise is either uninformed, ignorant, a bigot, or all of the above.
Boise: I understand what you're saying, and this is a very emotionally driven topic and one that is not conducive to reasoned discourse. That said, I'm hoping that you can recognize that I respectfully disagree.

One has only to go to any university in North America to see that bisexuality has become an accessory one wears to get attention - The number of people in University who self-identify as bisexual is far greater than that outside of that tiny universe. Most end up being one orientation or the other. This suggests that there has to be at least some kind of choice in the matter, or that environment has some kind of influence over orientation.

That said, we've all heard about people who knew they were gay from a very young age. That's possible and suggests that inherent leanings are either an inherited or environmental trait.

Would you really want to be able to discover what inherited trait causes that, or what environmental influence leads to it? If it were either genetic or environmental as most suggest now, it would be possible for people to simply choose the orientation of their children.

What do you think would be the long term consequences of that, and would you be prepared for it if orientation were determined once and for all to be due to a specific combination of genetic and environmental causes?

This is a difficult issue with no clear cut right answer.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
California becomes first state in nation to ban 'gay cure' therapy for children - U.S. News

Good. "Conversion therapy" for gay youth is akin to child abuse.

New Jersey is now considering banning it as well.
I don't see a problem if a child is gay and doesn't feel it is right, maybe he or she wants help. The therepy should be available to them.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't see a problem if a child is gay and doesn't feel it is right, maybe he or she wants help. The therepy should be available to them.
They can see a competent ethical therapist to talk about reconciling their sexual identity and their religious beliefs if they need to.

This bill was specifically about so-called 'Conversion therapy'. Attempting to change someone's innate sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. It has been proven to be ineffective and harmful.

There are no scientifically valid studies that show it works. Just anecdotal stories of religiously motivated people who often later said they were lying because they felt pressured. There is plenty of valid evidence to show it is harmful.

Even the president of the 'ex-gay' Exodus Alan Chambers, has finally said earlier this year that 99.9% of Exodus members didn't change their sexual orientation. And these were people who were really motivated to change their orientation because of their religious beliefs.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
LOL some of us want to see facts, if your going to claim such a thing as being born Homosexual lets see the proof not an opinion. If it was true you wouldn't need all these studies which in the end prove absolutly nothing.
If you want to call it scientific proof then actually try to have some proof in it LOL not just a opinion or a guess.
How about you state your beliefs about homosexuality then?

Please tell us on what evidence you base your beliefs.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
So once again a parent IS NOT allowed to decide how to raise their child, and do what they (THE PARENTS) feel is in the best interest of their child. This country is being weakened from within. In a few years the U.S.A. will be a feeble shell of itself regardless of who is in the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies