Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Funny, I don't recall labeling myself an intellectual. In any case, even if I had, I would have the ability to ascertain between a semantic slip and a lack of intelligence. Moreover, I don't need to be an intellectual to understand that having fewer intelligent people around is better than being surrounded by ignoramuses. Ironically, your little drive-by stick to the ribs is precisely the type of ridiculousness that you rail against in your diatribe about San Francisco and farting.
It's not even close to the same thing. I'm pointing out factual flaws in your statement. The group I was talking about love living in their bizarre fantasy land where facts aren't real.

As an aside, you're talking down to another group of people as being non-intellectual, which would mean that you view yourself as more than that group. Therefore, fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Actually, the opposite of intelligence is stupidity. The opposite of ignorant would be knowledgeable. Ignorant does not mean stupid, ignorant merely means uninformed.

Just a tip, oh mighty intellectual wonder.
Do we agree about the uninformed ignorant left leaners around here? Sure we do.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How about supporters of our head apologist, Barack Obama? Do they really believe that the Muslims will lop off their heads last when they take over?
No. They are already fully aware that the Muslims cannot and will not take over.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
The issue I have with that is so many of the extreme left "intellectuals" are only intellectual in as much as they are able to put together grandiose words to make themselves seem significantly more well-informed than they are. The reality is, most of them are just fatuous blowhards who like the smell of their own farts and rely on their own pompousness to serve as a veil concealing their complete inability to think independently. That's not intellectual, at all.

I don't care how many fancy mansion dinner parties they go to in San Francisco where they blather on endlessly about how it's so nice to be in a city full of forward-thinking intellectuals as opposed to knuckle-dragging conservatives (all while consciously ignoring the sad state their city is in), they're just as woefully ignorant as the guy living in a trailer that has 23 kids.
Such people aren't intellectuals, they're a**holes and a**holes are well-represented at every intellectual stratum.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Perhaps all Fabians are intellectual, but not all intellectuals are Fabians.
Did you have the word, not, in that sentence? I guess I missed it but I read it twice. Maybe you need to go back and look, but I will just for you. Nope, couldn't find it.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
My first wife said she was an intellectual. She was always finding things for me to do.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Republicans specifically are anti-intellectual. Democrats do pander to the dummies too but for conservatives, its a shameful thing to be well read and articulate, people think you're a rabble rousing homosexual if you sound intelligent and talk about stuff other than sports. Try being an intellectual in any conservative rural area, people will generally hate and avoid you no matter how nice you are. You have to pretend you're stupider than you are to get along.
When I first came to this rural area I often heard the farmers talking about "book smarts" not being equal to common sense and never passed up a chance to prove to them that they were wrong. I was a Democrat back then but still tore into those Republicans of the farm bent. I was never accused of being a homosexual, though, although I wasn't married at the time. What does it take to be accused of that?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
It's not even close to the same thing. I'm pointing out factual flaws in your statement. The group I was talking about love living in their bizarre fantasy land where facts aren't real.

As an aside, you're talking down to another group of people as being non-intellectual, which would mean that you view yourself as more than that group. Therefore, fair game.
I think I could fairly convincingly argue from the side of a neo-conservative GW Bush supporter; that doesn't mean that I am one. This is one of the beauties of the Internet.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
One of the first steps that dictators take is to eliminate the intelligentsia. The reason is obvious: Intellectuals will ask difficult questions that said dictators don't want to have to answer. It's much easier just wiping them out or sending them to a work camp.

Would you say that modern political parties are anti-intellectual? If so, why?

Isn't this a concerning trend?
I believe that was more the case before the benefits of industrialization and a stable economy became more apparent.

Consider, for for example, Mexico where, after a quarter-century of vioence in which every strongman was overthrown and killed, a moderately left-leaning intelligentsia ruled (in alliance with the oderately-educated old wealth), for over seventy years under a one-party system. It's worth noting as well, that in an overwhelmingy Catholic country, this droup did not have the support oof the Chuurch; many of its high-ranking leaders reportedly were Freemasons.

An opposition party existed, and it was both well-educated and monied, but it was easily depicted as representtive only of the "idle rich". Interestingly enough, The coalition that finally succeding in outvoting it consisted of the old-line conservatives, the extreme Left, and a growing middle class.

Violent coups have, in recent uears, been limited mostly to the Third World -- usually fueled by tribal loyalties as in Rwanda. And the violence in both the Middle East and the former Yugoslavia was not structured along educational or economic-status parameters. The demonstrators were young and, by prevailing standards, bettter-educated.

There's no threat of being purged when you can siomply be outvoted by sheer ignorance/complacency and weight of numbers. And I think some of the leadership of both major American parties thinks along the same lines.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Believe it or not, but the conservative thought once had protagonists with the likes of Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell, but as of recent times, it got hijacked by radio personalties and opportunistic blowhards like Peter Schiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies