Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Marriage should be abolished as it has become outdated, pointless, and is just religion in disguise.

What purpose does it have?

Those that want partners and family can still have them but sans 'magic piece of paper'

No real difference here.

Let's abolish this quaint old system.

agree?
How about I just tend to my marriage and what is right for me and my husband and you tend to your lack of marriage and what is right for you. That way no one is overly concerned about how other's live their own lives. It is a win - win and will cause you much less stress tending to your own life and not other's.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Marriage should be abolished as it has become outdated, pointless, and is just religion in disguise.

Those that want partners and family can still have them but sans 'magic piece of paper'

No real difference here.

agree?
Ah, liberals. Wanting to abolish everything they disagree with. Gets tiresome, really....

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
Marriage is fine as long as you do it within your religion. The government needs to stay out of it. No tax breaks should be afforded to the married. Tax breaks for a couple's kids can stay (even though I don't like those either) - but not for marriage in-of-itself.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM

635 posts, read 539,265 times
Quote:

No real difference here.

agree?
Abolish?

No, however, I see no reason for it to accord special legal privileges that could not be similarly attained by a civil union.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:

No real difference here.

agree?

No.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's not a "magic piece of paper". Anyone who thinks that's all marriage is has the wrong idea about marriage, and I can't imagine that they came from a family unit that values marriage, or from a stable home where both parents were married. Maybe you've witnessed some nasty divorces etc. and that's why you hold your view, but marriage is not JUST a magic piece of paper.

I prefer marriage over the old convenient - "shacking up" - which doesn't foster long term familial responsibility.

When you marry you are joining families and there's a sense of permanency, when you "shack up" it's a temporary arrangement, with no responsibility and no duty to your in-laws who are legally your family when you marry etc., many times people don't marry because they don't want to have any responsibility of a long term legal or familial commitment, it's a loose arrangement that can be dissolved at any time, walk out, and it's done. With marriage you have to break those bonds legally by divorcing. With the "shacking up", just decide you're done, and so you leave - next the ex-partner has to chase you down for child support, etc.

There is nothing wrong with marriage. Some will, and some won't. If it's not for you, then don't marry. Shack up and have a "hang loose" arrangement, that could dissolve when the going gets rough or you become disinterested. Just bail.
You seem to miss the point. Should government be involved in marriage? Should marriage confer upon a straight couple special benefits? What makes that straight couple special and deserving? What makes any one couple special and deserving over other couples?

No, I hold my position that if we truly want a separation of religion and government, government should stay out of marriage.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:

No real difference here.

agree?
Geez, they grow you people like weeds. The literal bastardization of the nation is truly astounding, hats off to our education system and our Hollywood, pop entertainment culture.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM

635 posts, read 539,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Geez, they grow you people like weeds. The literal bastardization of the nation is truly astounding, hats off to our education system and our Hollywood, pop entertainment culture.
Since when was the United States in Southeast Asia? Hats off ot our education system, indeed.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
You seem to miss the point. Should government be involved in marriage? Should marriage confer upon a straight couple special benefits? What makes that straight couple special and deserving? What makes any one couple special and deserving over other couples?

No, I hold my position that if we truly want a separation of religion and government, government should stay out of marriage.
Marriage is not about religion, don't be a useful idiot.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Marriage is not about religion, don't be a useful idiot.
Thank you?

Anyway, marriage has always been about religion. That we define it as one man and one women has nothing to do with nature, but has come from societal norms informed by religious texts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies