Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Have the news networks caused more polarization and partisanship or are the news agencies simply a reflection of the partisanship. IMO it is the former. Anyone who does not believe that Fox is slanted to the right and MSNBC is slanted to the left are simply stupid...IMO.

It is no secret that Republicans predominantly watch Fox, while Democrats predominantly watch MSNBC. I believe that the news media has an ethical obligation to report the news with as little bias as possible. These two networks not only do not try to control bias they perpetuate it with a political and partisan agenda that has lead to even more polarization and partisanship. Of course, Limbaugh, Air America etc. are even more extreme examples of this. This kind of news coverage is not good for U.S...in my opinion.

Fox, MSNBC viewers see world differently | McClatchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Have news networks caused the polarization of the U.S.?

I think the media is just a tool the Government uses to polarize the U.S. so to a degree yes but overall i feel the Government manipulates the media to keep the people separated because it serves them best if we remain that way. could you imagine if the people pulled together? The Government would be toast.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think the media is just a tool the Government uses to polarize the U.S. so to a degree yes but overall i feel the Government manipulates the media to keep the people separated because it serves them best if we remain that way. could you imagine if the people pulled together? The Government would be toast.
There is little doubt that the ones in power want to keep a two party system.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
No, stupidity has.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Have the news networks caused more polarization and partisanship or are the news agencies simply a reflection of the partisanship. IMO it is the former. Anyone who does not believe that Fox is slanted to the right and MSNBC is slanted to the left are simply stupid...IMO.

It is no secret that Republicans predominantly watch Fox, while Democrats predominantly watch MSNBC. I believe that the news media has an ethical obligation to report the news with as little bias as possible. These two networks not only do not try to control bias they perpetuate it with a political and partisan agenda that has lead to even more polarization and partisanship. Of course, Limbaugh, Air America etc. are even more extreme examples of this. This kind of news coverage is not good for U.S...in my opinion.

I know the story of Fox and of course it is fanatically right-wing, by design. MSNBC I don't watch so don't know about that. The main network news broadcasts lean right, but in general have a lot of fluff stories and are not very informative.

To get a full picture, I watch PBS Newshour (centre), BBC (centre), The New York Times website (centre, except on the Middle East where they are right-wing), Democracy Now (left), The Wall Street Journal (far right, but good for business news), Bill Moyers (left-leaning) and listen to 760 Progressive Talk (centre-left). Also get emails from NDP (pro-Canada) and my union, AFSCME (pro-USA).

Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
TV, radio, you name it. It's all propaganda.

Propaganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position by presenting only one side of an argument. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
TV, radio, you name it. It's all propaganda.

Propaganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position by presenting only one side of an argument. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes.
Pretty much. Mostly all government owned. Corporatism all the way. A few very narrow arguments that have extreme opposites and amt to a hill of beans. Lot of time and energy spent on nothing.

The Big 6/NEP is govt shareholder controlled.
http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart

The whole D and R thing is a big old joke. We got the govt owning just about everything and some "private" clubs and corps perpetuating the system.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

No, its just companies selling a product that people want.

Folks like hearing that they are right, and they will watch news programs which prove that point to them (even when they are wrong).

Now, much like fast food, it may taste good but cable news doesn't fill your brain with healthy things.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM

552 posts, read 738,736 times
I blame talk radio and bloggers who would never have a chance at being hired by mainstream media. Example neil boortz said the Obama presidency was worse then 9/11, that would never be on TV.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:

No, I think they are feeding off "market segments" that were always there. Now they are just amplified by the speed of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies